• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] Shogun 2: Total War

Cool, because I've been playing M2 recently and occasionally I try to use cavalry against archers or other vermin but the adviser's tactic of smashing into them, retreating and smashing into them again just doesn't work. Each time I retreat I lose a load of horses so riding in and out costs me a lot more than just leaving them in there but it doesn't do much more damage. But if I leave them in they get torn up eventually. Doesn't really matter by what unit.
My mounted units only seem good for giving units on the verge of routing that last little incentive and then of course to chase them down. Kinda.

Maybe because I'm playing England with their "poor cavalry", but still, they're heavy men on heavy horses. That's gotta be worth something. I don't expect them to win against enemy cavalry, but maybe, you know, some archers or light infantry.

Eh, I'll be going back to Rome soon, I think. M2 is gorgeous and all and prancing around with Princesses looking for decent marriage material is a lot of fun, but the era of Rome is more appealing to me. And the units make a little more sense to me in terms of what's good against what. Maybe I just don't get M2.

Upvote 0
Cool, because I've been playing M2 recently and occasionally I try to use cavalry against archers or other vermin but the adviser's tactic of smashing into them, retreating and smashing into them again just doesn't work. Each time I retreat I lose a load of horses so riding in and out costs me a lot more than just leaving them in there but it doesn't do much more damage. But if I leave them in they get torn up eventually. Doesn't really matter by what unit.
My mounted units only seem good for giving units on the verge of routing that last little incentive and then of course to chase them down. Kinda.

Maybe because I'm playing England with their "poor cavalry", but still, they're heavy men on heavy horses. That's gotta be worth something. I don't expect them to win against enemy cavalry, but maybe, you know, some archers or light infantry.

Eh, I'll be going back to Rome soon, I think. M2 is gorgeous and all and prancing around with Princesses looking for decent marriage material is a lot of fun, but the era of Rome is more appealing to me. And the units make a little more sense to me in terms of what's good against what. Maybe I just don't get M2.

I personally found in M2 that the key was just never to lose momentum: order your horses to go to a spot behind the archers, so they don't hit the brakes when they reach the archers (which is what kills them). If your horses make it through the other side before they are dead, do a U-Turn and smash em again; its much more effective than turning around and running (which causes ridiculous casualties)

Upvote 0
Just bought it I own Rome and Medieval II but ive never really played them apart from the tutorials, any good tips for a newb?

well, really I'd just say this:
Play the Campaigns, and just try to think before you act; when you bite off more than you can chew, things tend to pile up, but these "impossible wars" can be avoided by careful manuevering (or at least until you get yourself to where you can handle it)

Other than that, I'd just play and ask any questions here (or perhaps if you want to know more situational things, like whats a good idea in X campaign)

Upvote 0
Anyone else having a hard time playing as hittori??

I don't know Hattori, but that happens quite often. I play with friend co-op campaign and he had really tough times as Uesugi. He was at war with 4 other clans (at beginning he had one war, but 3 other clans attacked him couple rounds later). His strategy was total defense, so he stayed in cities and he won it. However some battles were intense, where 4-5 times bigger armies attacked him. When he was under siege I attacked nearly empty cities of his enemies...

Upvote 0