• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map RO-Narva17March_B2 & RO-MuddyTigers

I'm offering my opinion on the map. Plain and simple. When I was playing on RTR server today, plenty of other folks had the same opinion as me. They found it unbalanced, as do I. You have a different opinion, fine and dandy. That's why there's chocolate and vanilla. Your opinion is that the map would be ruined by my changes. My opinion is the map is already in pretty bad shape as far as balance is concerned. Maybe you prefer a map where one team has a sizeable advantage over the other. Maybe you like playing the underdog. Personally, I don't. I like an evenly balanced map, although that can come from something as simple as time and reinforcements, as I've described. Also note how most of the positive "Wow! That was a blast!" reviews are coming from folks describing their experience defending. Defending is indeed fun. It's also very very easy. Dramatic at times, but still easy on the whole. Attacking? Not so much. Today even people on the German side were saying "Yeah, it's pretty unbalanced. It's a little too easy for Germans. I don't even play as Russians on this map anymore."

I think the map could be improved by several things, although not necessarily all together. Probably the easiest way to alter the map is to play around with time and reinforcements as I discussed. But from what I've seen, and I've played the map multiple times at this point, it's a cakewalk for Germans and basically an exercise in target practice for them. I've played as a tanker and died maybe three times. I've played as infantry and I and about four others held the Fortified B position for the entire round. No one got past us.

I've played as a Russian several times and found that mostly, the Russian tankers seem to hang back and shoot. Even when the Russian team tried to rally with myself and several others trying to get a coherent group together to mount an assault, there's just way too much ground to cover in the time allotted and with precious little cover, even with smoke.

Maybe your experiences differed, but maybe you've just played with teams of a much higher calibre. That's actually my point, though. While there's obviously some level of flexibility in the skill levels of various teams, right now I think the map requires a LOT of coordination from the Russian team. More than I usually see on public servers. Like I said, I think the Russians CAN win, but I think it just takes way more than what's usually seen. Now, granted, if you get maybe six clanners from about two or three clans together on the Russian team, sure, you'll see people working together. But if it's just random individuals who don't know each other from Adam, they're toast.

I think that the simple change of adding more time on the clock and playing with reinforcements would pretty much alleviate all the other concerns and give the Russians time to advance. If what you're saying is true, that the Russians can kick a lot of ass anyway, then this won't make any difference because the map will be over before reinforcements for either side are exhausted or the clock has run out. But in those situations where I'm right, where the Russian team is being asked to do way too much, then the time and reinforcement balance will come into play and give them a chance to win -- if they don't all get themselves killed too early by playing dumb.

The time/reinforcement game will still require a team to be coordinated and skilled. You can't simply throw yourself forward pell-mell without regard to your own safety, or you'll just blow your reinforcement cushion early. You also will have to play smart and use cover to get into hull-down positions and be able to spot enemy tanks and call them out to friendlies so that you can be maintaining a high enough kill ratio to let the reinforcements work for you. At the same time, you'll want to be improving your positioning so you have less open ground to cover.

But with a map that's only about 15 minutes long right now, and is set up as it is, the Russians are in bad shape unless they're server regulars who know each other and work together frequently (in which case they might as well be pretty much playing at clan levels of coordination) or you're gonna have a Russian slaughter. At least, that's my experience. I haven't seen the Narva version yet, so maybe it plays differently. But so far, I've seen multiple comments from folks suggesting it's pretty German-friendly.

Upvote 0
I agree with Solo. It is unbalanced. Very unbalanced lol

Perhaps giving the Russians more IS-2s would help and replacing some T-34/76s with T-34/85s.

I like how it was described as a "shooting gallery." Really the ways things are now it's just a map for showing off your skill with a panzerfaust lol.

No, what you are saying is you are not up to an intense, furious battle between tankers and infantry. Too bad.

Further, there are T34/85's already in the loadout.. in fact all the Russian T34's should be 85's and another IS-2 wouldn't hurt. IS-2s fall just as quick as any other tank does to a 'Faust. Perhaps you didn't know you could use the 'Fausts too as a Russian? :eek:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm offering my opinion on the map. Plain and simple.
Maybe your experiences differed, but maybe you've just played with teams of a much higher calibre.

Exactly and quite possible.... try the map on different servers. Try our Server; RGN... We had some memorable battles with Muddy Tigers and we expect many, many more. Fantastic battles to be exact. Most of which the Russians either won or hammered the Germans hard to the very bitter end.

Then of course, we had the objectives junkies that simply swarmed the objectives seemingly all at once and rapidly capped them all. You are going to find all kinds playing the map. The best in my opinion, are the guys who enjoy the map for the battle... not battle for the map.

Upvote 0
I have played this map several times and who wins varies. (dont remember if it was Muddy or Narva or both)

But I will say there is one point that does make it extremely difficult for the Russians and that is when the Germans control Ruins B and the Russians are spawning at Ruins A. When I played as a German manning the Ruins (B), I was able to lay down a murderous fire on the poor Russians advancing out of the spawn. After hearing of the Russians 'comment' on this, I switched sides and for the most part, I would agree with them. In this situation, it was next to impossible to get out of the spawn, the universal carriers were getting shot up as soon as they respawned, and I generally came away with the feeling that those Russians complaining about this were right.

Now first of all, I am not saying the map is unbalanced or that. In just this situation for the next beta, perhaps some more cover (hard or soft) could be available for the Russians spawning in Ruins A to at least allow them to spread out more instead of hunkering in that small ditch along side the road. Also, maybe a partial building for the carriers to spawn behind, because honestly, the unmanned vehicles shouldn't be shot up in the spawn area as soon as they spawn.

Upvote 0
I'll try the map out on RGN (I've been meaning to stop by there anyway) at some point, but I still think that there are way more advantages for the Germans than for the Russians.

Here's my point, and it's a general issue I have with map design in any games like this (BF1942, FH, BF2, etc.). Assuming teams of roughly equal skill level, there should not be any clear advantage to either team -- the presence of such an advantage implies that the map lacks balance.

Even unbalanced maps can be won by the other team. I've seen the Germans win multiple times on Tula Outskirts. I still think that map is simply an opportunity for Russians to practice long-range riflery skills, though. The point isn't CAN the other team win, it's more a question of what's required for them to do so.

If one team gets to sit back, counting flowers on the wall, smoking cigarettes, and watching Captain Kangaroo, while the other team needs to be an absolutely crackerjack unit with good communication, coordination, and a clear battle plan, that's an unbalanced map. Generally speaking, it ain't much fun to play a map like that, certainly not from the losing side.

Personally, I find it boring to play on the winning side, too in that situation. I hate playing a round that's a blowout for either side. I prefer a much closer contest. You know, like those rounds of Basovka where the Germans manage to cap the final position with 10 seconds left on the clock. THAT's a good round and it's a good map. I do find the balance precarious, but that's true of a lot of maps (IE: if you have a crappy squad leader who took the position for the gun, not for the smoke grenades to provide cover for his team).

With Muddy Tigers, right now, the balance is definitely in favor of the Germans. They have the following advantages:

- Position. All their defensive postures are covered. You can easily park your tank behind a building, in the trees, etc. where you present a minimal target, but can snipe away. Plus, you're a stationary gun platform while the Russians have to keep moving and pray their armor protects them.

- Equipment. At the ranges they're operating, the German tanks are, on the whole, superior. Even a Stug III is a match for the T34/76s. While the '85s and IS2 are a match for the Tigers and superior to the Pz IVs and Stug IIIs, they are ONLY a match for the Tigers, of which there are, I believe, three.

- Prepared defenses. The Ruins A and B offer plenty of cover for German troops. With no less than four respawning Panzerfausts, you can have a squad of five (Squad Leader, MG, 2x rifle, 1x SMG), all with multiple panzerfausts. They are hiding behind sandbags, standing in tiny windows that protect them but let them fire out. They can hold of infantry and armor with ease.

- Recapturable objectives. Even assuming the Russians gain ground, they can lose it. The Russians have to choose to spread their forces even thinner and have a few people trying to root out the odd German strike team, or pray that they can advance quickly enough to take A and B. I'm not even sure if A and B lock after you've taken both, for that matter. My sense is that they don't, so the Russian rear is always exposed.

The Russians have no real advantages. They have to cover tons of open, heaved ground which means they can't fire back on the move and expect to hit anything. They have weaker tanks for the existing engagement ranges, whose one advantage -- speed -- is negated by the fact that they have to approach laterally and expose a wide side shot, or approach head on and basically beg for a one-shot kill. They also have no anti-armor troops worth a damn. As I said, even though it's overpowerd in the game, the PTRD is a joke on this map and without cover, Combat Engineers are pointless too.

Honestly, I think you can still keep the flavor of the map the same, but give the Russians more of a chance. The simple solution to this is to play with reinforcements and time. Give the Russians the manpower and the time to wear the Germans down, and you remove the need for them to throw themselves heedlessly into the German defenses. With more time, the Russians could employ leapfrog tactics without having to think "HOLY CRAP!! WE'RE RUNNING OUT OF TIME!! WE HAVE TO ALL CHARGE NOW!!" Likewise, with a clear reinforcement advantage, the challenge would be for the German team to be both skilled in gunnery and positioning, and conscious enough to manage their own limited resources -- something which would be historically accurate as well. The Germans would have to decide clearly how hard of a defense to put up at Ruins A (the more exposed position) and how soon to abandon or defend Ruins B.

Believe me, I see the potential for this map to be every bit as good of a combined arms map as Berezina. But as it stands, there's just too many obstacles facing the Russian team, assuming roughly equal skill levels of the teams, and ESPECIALLY on pub servers in pickup games. Which, I believe, is the majority of people playing RO out there -- pub servers, pickup games, no organized teams. Server regulars are the exception, not the rule. If you've got 'em, then yeah, you stand a chance of winning. But right now, a Russian "victory" is simply making defeat more costly for the Germans than they'd have wanted it.

Upvote 0
@ Moe... the tank spawns and infantry spawns still occur behind the rail crossing. What map were you playing? :eek:

@ Solo... yes do stop by.. we played Muddy Tigers almost all day yesterday and the wins were evenly balanced with the battles becoming more or less frantic as the clock ticked down. We had a ball. Incidently, I played on both sides and have many, many times, hours in fact. This is one popular and very enjoyable map.

As I asked, it would not be a bad thing if all the T-34's were 85's and two or three more IS-2 tanks were added.

For the Germans, two Panthers added would be excellent along with a coupla German HT's at the rear spawn. ViViD, I can wish can't I? :)

After all, this puppy FILLS our CA server almost all the time at night and on weekends. ;)

Upvote 0
@ Moe... the tank spawns and infantry spawns still occur behind the rail crossing. What map were you playing? :eek:

@ Solo... yes do stop by.. we played Muddy Tigers almost all day yesterday and the wins were evenly balanced with the battles becoming more or less frantic as the clock ticked down. We had a ball. Incidently, I played on both sides and have many, many times, hours in fact. This is one popular and very enjoyable map.

As I asked, it would not be a bad thing if all the T-34's were 85's and two or three more IS-2 tanks were added.

For the Germans, two Panthers added would be excellent along with a coupla German HT's at the rear spawn. ViViD, I can wish can't I? :)

After all, this puppy FILLS our CA server almost all the time at night and on weekends. ;)

I'll check it out.

As for the tank loadout, I actually like the tank loadout. One advantage the '76s have over the '85s is that they present a smaller profile. It's a tradeoff, though, given the weaker gun. '76s can still take on the Pz IVs and Stugs, it's just that they have to get a bit closer to penetrate. Against Tigers, unless you're loaded for HE or you've flanked them (VERY difficult), you might as well be shooting spitballs. The one IS2 is a good match here.

Honestly, the equipment loadout will be less of an issue IF the reinforcement/time thing I suggested was played with. Then it'd be an uphill battle, but one that the Russians could win with strategy -- and it'd require a lot more thought from the Axis team besides "Park here and shoot."

On the other hand, if reinforcements and time stay the same, then I'm with you on adding some beefier Russian tanks.

Upvote 0
I'll check it out. Then it'd be an uphill battle, but one that the Russians could win with strategy -- and it'd require a lot more thought from the Axis team besides "Park here and shoot."

On the other hand, if reinforcements and time stay the same, then I'm with you on adding some beefier Russian tanks.

Please bear in mind, the map is designed as a large, tank warfare map with support infantry. Tactics, skill and strategy are paramount to winning. Also, the "Park here and Shoot" thingy is very dangerous. I invite you to meet me in Muddy Tigers choose whichever side you wish. I'll go the other side. Makes no difference to me. We'll see who can park and shoot and survive... I'll nail you left and right if you sit still. If you are seeing "park and shoot" you are seeing amateur tank warfare players at work. Little or no skills, tactics or strategy, something is lacking. Muddy Tigers demands aggressive tanking.

The suggested load out enhancements will make the map that much more interesting.

Upvote 0
I find it depends entirely on WHERE you park, number one, and on who your opponents are. I set up a Pz IV H partially covered by the farmhouse, obscured by trees, and didn't die once I set up there. I got plenty of kills off of Russian tankers who (a) couldn't aim, (b) couldn't range, and/or (c) were moving.

Parking and sitting as the Russians IS dangerous, though, and they have to stay on the move. The Germans, I find, have multiple concealed positions, and even a few spots where a really savvy tanker could be completely obscured, but could arc shells over the rise while spotting unbuttoned.

The map demands tactics, no question, but that's kind of what I've been getting at as part of the problem -- not that it demands them in general, but that the LEVEL of tactical coordination needed by the Russians (or ineptitude by the Germans) is pretty high to get a Russian victory on most pub servers where I've played it.

Upvote 0

I am 99.9% sure it was Narva and the infantry were spawning at Ruin A (nearest railcrossing) and the Germans controlled Ruin B. It really was a slaughterhouse.

I am not sure where the tanks were spawning, but the carriers were spawning at the ruins.

I believe this was after the Russians captured Ruin B and the Germans recaptured it.

A glitch???

Upvote 0
He's right. It was the Muddy Tigers version if it was the time we were both on (and I was...ahem...a bit vocal in my displeasure...:eek: Apologies for that, by the way.)

Tanks were spawning behind the rail lines. Infantry and UCs were spawning at Ruins A towards the righthand side of the ruins (out in the open, not where the panzerfausts are). At one point, the Germans drove up and parked an APC just outside and were hosing down the vehicles and players in the spawn. Granted, the APC didn't last long with the tank cover, but it was basically "kicking us while we were down."

There's a smallish riverbed that leads up from Ruins A to Ruins B, running roughly parallel to the road. You spawn to the left of that, in the ruins with the UCs. the UCs were being blown up as they spawned. The troops were being shot at IN the spawn and were barely making it out at the worst moments. At best, it was basically an advance on the Ruins B with no cover and plenty of SMGs, MGs, and Panzerfausts waiting.

Having played infantry at the Ruins B before, it's really easy to defend. Between everyone having at least one panzerfaust and the combination of small arms and cover from which to shoot, plus the open approach by the Russians with very little cover, it's pretty much a slaughter. I think I saw one HE tank round actually make it into the basement. Every other time, people just cleared away from the doorway or there were enough guys in the basement that the tanks couldn't clear 'em out and the troops couldn't get close enough.

I've played a few rounds where the Russians captred both ruins, but both were recapturable at all times, meaning the Russians have to play defense AND offense. Not fun.

Like I've said, the current iteration just isn't that much fun when I've played it. It may play well on a server full of regulars who consistently work together, but on random pickup servers it's just a huge drag. It's got great potential, but it needs work.

Upvote 0
I give up.........

ViViD please, leave the map as you designed it and/or consider the loadout enhancements I suggested. Otherwise, purposely developing a Russian biased map as suggested will destroy the suspense and thrill factor of this map.

Moe is not right......... Russian infantry also spawns in the rear spawn else why would there be UPC's there and rideable tank facilities? Some may spawn elsewhere but not all. Regardless of the Russian captured objectives. I checked just a short while ago.

You claim the Russians have no real cover, I beg to differ. ... the Russian tanks blend in perfectly with the trees and fences all over the map. In fact, the Russian tanks can get into positions at "A" and "B" that are almost invincible.

The the Germans can hardly clear them out of there once they are setup right. Knowing what and how to setup at both locations is key to the Russian advance. Between infantry and a tank or two they will rule the first two objectives. The Germans are forced to defend the farm ... and that is shakey at best if there are enough Russians.

Listening to both of you complain of the map's alleged warts tells me neither of you have any in depth battle experience in Muddy Tigers. 'Nuff said.

I invite both of you to a game.... :cool:

Upvote 0
Say whatever you want, man. I'm telling you what I've seen on the servers I've played. I've probably played the map maybe 5 times on two or three different servers with radically different team rosters each time.

Have you played the map on any server OTHER than yours? Your experience might end up being quite different when not playing with server regulars.

Nothing I suggested would make the map "Russian biased." I'm not looking to make the map biased towards ANY side and suggesting so is just a straw-man argument. All I want is an even chance for both sides. That doesn't exist right now. The Russians need to put in a lot more teamwork and effort to win this map than the Germans, based on what I've seen. The map requires a LOT of teamwork. Great for clans, crap for pubs and pickup games with total strangers.

And the statement "Moe is wrong"?? Oh really? Were you there? I've PERSONALLY spawned at that location, and I know Moe has too because he was in the same position with me. Maybe people spawn back as well, or maybe the spawn shifts forward after you capture Ruins A. Or maybe the issue is that the spawn at Ruins A is SUPPOSED to be the spawn location for when the Russians have captured ruins B, but if the Germans recapture it, the location doesn't change (whereas normally, having captured the Rail line and Ruins A you'd still be spawning behind the hill). I don't know about the behind-the-scenes workings of the map or what is supposed to be happening, but I can tell you that Russian semi-auto riflemen, AT troops, and squad leaders all spawn at the forward Ruins A position, and did so at a point in the map when Russians controlled it but the Germans controlled Ruins B.

I was there. It really did happen, man.

Upvote 0
Say whatever you want, man. I'm telling you what I've seen on the servers I've played. I've probably played the map maybe 5 times on two or three different servers with radically different team rosters each time.

Five times?? On that amount of gameplay you dare to base an informed opinion?? I've played the map MORE than 35 times and mostly with 10 per side or better.

Have you played the map on any server OTHER than yours? Your experience might end up being quite different when not playing with server regulars.
Server regulars??? On a public server?? Surely you jest!! Yes, I've played on other servers and found that the majority of players out there on other servers, like yourself, are inexperienced with the map and have played only a few Muddy Tiger games, if at all.

Again, join me in a round or two of Muddy Tigers... I'll gladly take the Russian side and .....I'll be gentle.... :D

Upvote 0
Five times?? On that amount of gameplay you dare to base an informed opinion?? I've played the map MORE than 35 times and mostly with 10 per side or better.

Server regulars??? On a public server?? Surely you jest!! Yes, I've played on other servers and found that the majority of players out there on other servers, like yourself, are inexperienced with the map and have played only a few Muddy Tiger games, if at all.

Again, join me in a round or two of Muddy Tigers... I'll gladly take the Russian side and .....I'll be gentle.... :D

Yeah, I dare. I like to think I'm a pretty observant guy, and I know what I witnessed on both sides playing multiple rounds. By five times I mean five sessions of playing the map, two to three rounds a piece. Maybe you've played it a gazillion times. I dunno. I don't really care either, because I'm basing my opinion on what I've seen and my sense of maps as an experienced gamer.

If I'm test driving a car I don't have to have driven it for two years before I can "legitimately" formulate an opinion. In five minutes I can tell if the steering's too loose for my tastes, if the shifter sticks when going from 2nd to 3rd, etc.

If everyone's inexperienced at playing this, then that too should suggest a few things. While it's true people will gain experience and figure out ways to succeed in the map, you have to ask yourself if they'll WANT to gain experience. I personally am not interested in playing a map where, for the first 30 times I play it, it goes to the same team every time. So far I've played the map five times or so, so figure about a max of 15 individual rounds of the map. I've yet to see the Russians win, and most of the time they don't seem to even hold Ruins B. That should say something, and something other than "Yah, the Russians were all a bunch of f-ing noobs."

Your experience is different. Fine. Vivid can take all the comments as he sees fit, but while you maintain that mine is not the definitive experience, I'd challenge you that neither is yours the be-all/end-all of how this map plays. It's his map in the end, and his choice to make.

But it's also the choice of folks running servers to run the map or not. If I was running a CA server, personally, I wouldn't run this map on in its current form, much the way the WOLF server doesn't run Tula Outskirts. Why? Because it's a drag to play on the attacking side and a bore to play on the defending side unless you're just in the mood to practice your gunnery skills.

Oh, and I have a better idea instead of the pointless "I can kick your ass" confrontational approach. How about if we team up and you SHOW me how it can be won and some good strategies for winning as russians instead. Simply beating me in a tank fight won't teach me much of anything except "Well, guess he had the better position/equipment". Besides, I already know how to tank just fine. Showing me the effective strategy for winning on the Russian team, though, that I'd like to see.

Upvote 0
Yeah.... ok, you got all the answers. Nothing like comparing real life (test drive a car) to a FPS game.... Geez. Oh well, live and learn.

I'd be glad to show you. I'm there now. I'll be available whenever you are. Hmmm played four rounds and you never showed up.....

Edit: All Infantry soldiers do spawn at "A" once A&B are capped. I was mistaken, its rarely that I play as Infantry. Please, just jump in ...I'll spot you.

Edit2: Hmmm played four rounds and you never showed up..... oh well.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
He's right. It was the Muddy Tigers version if it was the time we were both on (and I was...ahem...a bit vocal in my displeasure...:eek: Apologies for that, by the way.)

YES!!! I was!!! You are the reason I switched teams to see what the hell you were complaining about!!!!!

...Moe is not right......... Russian infantry also spawns in the rear spawn else why would there be UPC's there and rideable tank facilities? Some may spawn elsewhere but not all. Regardless of the Russian captured objectives. I checked just a short while ago....

Sorry Mike, I was not wrong, it did happen. I am not complaining about the map, or pulling some...

"oh the poor poor Russians" etc etc....

The comment is just an observation in case the map creator was not aware this was happening. Maybe it was only under certain circumstances, I don't know. I was on the German team when all this was going on (and shooting the hell out of the Russians) and after hearing of the complaints for close to five minutes and criticizing poor SOLO4114 for his 'whining' (and watching the mass exodus of Russians leaving the server), I switched sides. He was right. There was an issue with the Russians (infantry at least) spawning to close too murderous German fire with no real cover, hard or soft, to scramble to. It even happened again when the map restarted...

As I said, it was just a comment so the creator (ViViD?) could look into it. I am sure if there is something wrong, he would like to be aware of it, even if it is only under rare conditions that it was happening.

My comment was strictly based on the location of the Russians spawning when the Germans control Ruins B. If it wasn't set up that way, I don't know why it was happening.

Anyway, other than that, I really like the map. It has a really nice feel to it.

Upvote 0
Moe, obviously .... you didn't read my last post.:(

The Russians do spawn at A while the Germans are at B.... But I see that as a good thing. Your transport is right there and 'Fausts are right there. I don't understand the problem seen. I tried that tonight and found that I could hammer the Germans in B with the 'Fausts. I really saw no disadvantage. I drove across to the Fausts and between the machine gun in the UPC and my 'Fausts I made the Germans suffer.

Last edited:
Upvote 0