• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map RO-Kriegstadt beta 1

'Tis a pity that the M38 got bagged. Alas, 'tis an even greater pity, the magnitude of which astounds me, that I can't get to play this map. The only time I've managed to load it on a full server I got in just in time to see the final scores. And it takes ages to load - is it just me, or does it really load for a long time?

Upvote 0
Great map! FORCES team work, which is always good IMO. Aint no one gonna cap anything on their own here.

Just a few things others havent picked up on... the lump you gotta roll over on the moltke bridge (russian side) is a *****. Your tank seems to be on the crest but it just wont dip down??? It usually takes people 2 or 3 attempts to get over it.. and it aint even that big!!!

And also when tanking (might just be me..or the server stressed out... so dont take this as gospel) the amount of graphical glitches has gone thru the roof.... Yeah its old hat that sometimes when you get into a vehicle your view aint right.. you know, the clean screen where you cant see either your MG or the turret optics just a clean first person view, but it seems like theres alot more of it going on. (usually happens in the UC MG spot alot on other maps) Yeah its fixed by jimping out then back in a few times, but still, worth a look at.

Again at the final objective the rain of PFs from the axis buildings is harsh... but if your changing the spawn times let that one slide to the nex beta and see how it goes. But you dont need more cover on the bridge IMO... i like how the infantry gotta bunch up behind the tanks to advance.

Oh yeah... and also... AMMO - especially for tanx. Ive run out of HE alot, and then im just forced to make a suicide run to get the tank smashed up ready for respawn... not the best way to re-up your ammo:p

Upvote 0
Well unfortunately the tank ammo loadouts got messed up due to me setting the primary ammo to be HE (to prevent players from needing to fire an AP to switch to HE, and on a map where AP is next to useless, it seemed more efficient). For Beta 2 however such is being corrected. Tank HE loadouts will be:

T-34/85: 30
SU76: 40
IS2: 18

Which I think is sufficient.

In regard to the tank optics, it was very likely a server issue which was giving you trouble. I'm looking to reduce the load that the map puts on the server, so such issues should be less frequent.

The barricades at both ends of the Moltke Bridge have had their centers smoothened, such that tanks can now pass without too much of a struggle. They will still probably go over the top slowly, but when they come down its for dramatic effect ;)

So, most of the issues which plagued Beta 1 will be gone when Beta 2 comes out. It's then up to me to find out what new issues are created. :eek:

And,
'Tis a pity that the M38 got bagged. Alas, 'tis an even greater pity, the magnitude of which astounds me, that I can't get to play this map. The only time I've managed to load it on a full server I got in just in time to see the final scores. And it takes ages to load - is it just me, or does it really load for a long time?

The map is rather large and has a lot going on with it, so yes, it will take you ages to load, and I have to offer my apologies for that. I can tell you though that Leningrad has a larger file size, but I honestly don't know in what way that may have anything to do with it, because it feels to me as though my map takes longer to load.

Upvote 0
Added trees along certain streets to better mask infantry movement.

Dead trees right? :p

Modified the Pantherturm to make it impervious to Panzerfaust rounds.

nooOOOOoo :p

I'm scared to hear that you are going to make the bridge capzone smaller, but hopefully the increased HE radius helps out with that. Cant wait for the update mang.

Upvote 0
The capzone is only reduced on the German side of things and just inside of the ministry building itself. It still extends on to the bridge as far as it did before, and in to the auxillary building on the left of the ministry when approaching as a Russian. The goal here is to force the Germans to be in the combat area if they are to contribute to the cap, instead of hiding in the hallways inside of the building. That, coupled with the increased HE radius, won't make it as easy for the Axis. However, a number of other modifications in the map means that the Axis may find themselves fighting within the city itself longer, so the necessity to hold the bridge for over a half hour shouldn't have to be there.

Additionally, the PaK43 guns along the bridgehead are set to respawn every four minutes, with a total of 3 respawns. This is to make them a more important facet of the defense now that the Germans won't have an endless stream of Panzerfausts.

Upvote 0
The map is rather large and has a lot going on with it, so yes, it will take you ages to load, and I have to offer my apologies for that. I can tell you though that Leningrad has a larger file size, but I honestly don't know in what way that may have anything to do with it, because it feels to me as though my map takes longer to load.
The file size of the map alone only represents textures & static meshes imbedded in your level "myLevel". Textures & static meshes used by your map from external packages (where most all the assets are located) are not counted toward your level size (in total at least). But your map is alot larger than Leningrad and has a good amount of BSP so...not much shock about taking longer to load or being larger in total filesize.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
'Tis a pity that the M38 got bagged.
M44 is "one stop shopping" It's got the accuracy of the MN91 without the hassle of having to manually attach your bayonette everytime and it's shorter and more compact. And it has the quicker movement properties same as the M38. Only reason to choose M38 or MN91 is if you like to either: bash people with the stock (sure it's funny but not as easy as using a bayonette). Or manually attach your bayonette (fun? not so much when you've done it for the millionth time). But that's just my preference.

Upvote 0
Having second thoughts about increasing the blast radius on the HE: since the third story room on the Ministry is being reduced to the size for the forward room on the second story (HE hell), I think that it would be for the best that I keep the HE as is.
Yeah I wouldn't increase the kill radius of HE. What I would do is alter some of the rooms slightly (bring in the walls/ add wall partitions and add more furniture strategically placed to hide behind). That way there is much better likely hood of HE kills due to smaller rooms but the Germans still can have stuff (furniture etc) to hide behind if they are smart. Increasing the kill radius would just be insta kill for any German in the room and I'm sure would be not fun & frustrating for the Germans not to mention too easy for the Russians.

Upvote 0
Finally got to play this, both in emptyish servers and a full one. Read my lips: oh-sum!

I'm going to miss my M38, because I simply almost always take it. Visual preference.

I agree on the placement of the 88s in front of the bridge: the one on the left needs moving. In the current place not only does it have shorter field of fire than it could have, but it also has a dead spot on the left, where you can't aim at tanks appearing just slightly from behind the corner of the building there.

I love the new MGs. However, now they might be too invisible, but that's good for Germans here.

I agree on tank ammo. If you give the tanks more shells, then it should be ok, as tankers will have to be carefull with wasteful shooting (if they plan on not dying). Maybe one ammo cache near the hotel, like somewhere in front of it, because it was the hotel that seemed to be one of the focal points of the fight.

FPS issues. Well, especially the bridge, also some areas inside the city... on my rig it goes into 15-17 FPS area. Which is not fun, but that's me to blame for having an inadequate rig. Overall, however, the optimisation seems good. However on a full 52 men server I've had a lot of moments where the computer would freeze for half a second or so, for the first couple of minutes... Uh.

Gamplay and flow. Awesome. Feels fluent, you never get the feeling it'll take ages to get back into combat, but there's no short routes so you have to be careful.

New skins. Me likes. I've had no problem with discerning who's who inside the buildings and I don't use any tuned up gamma. It's just the longer ranges that I'd made a mistake once or twice.

Edit: and it takes long, but I can bear with that. Like around 3 mins to load the team select screen and then it freezes for another 20-30 seconds before I can select the team.

HE ranges. From what I've played a bit in the SU and IS, didn't get to a spot where a shell inside a building wouldn't kill the guy I wanted to kill - but that's mostly based on experience around the apratments and the hotel areas.

Upvote 0
Not too sure of some of the changes you're doing, to be honest. Especially the increase in HE damage (already very deadly... see Quietus' comment), the smaller Moltke capzone and the change in reinforcements. I feel that the map was perfectly balanced already: the final stage of the battle seems to get fought within the final few minutes of the map, and the team with the best communication wins. I personally like this. I guess it depends on how long you want the fight for the Moltke Bridge to be.

I agree that the 88 overlooking that street needs moving. It's next to useless there. Also, on the subject of the PaK43's, I can now also confirm that it's still a bit buggy. You know, the famous "fire one shot and it stops working" bug. It's not just your map though, it also happens with the AhZ guns. Sometimes the gun works, sometimes it doesn't. It's a very annoying bug, and if it happens it means that the Germans will have a much harder time defending Berlin.

The flow of the gameplay is perfect, keep it like that please.

I have no FPS issues at all, it runs great for me. Loading times are normal too.

Upvote 0
I. Kant;345780s said:
I agree on the placement of the 88s in front of the bridge: the one on the left needs moving. In the current place not only does it have shorter field of fire than it could have, but it also has a dead spot on the left, where you can't aim at tanks appearing just slightly from behind the corner of the building there.

If this is the area I think you are talking about, the gun here is being repositioned and a second one is being added to its grouping. One gun is now positioned in the wooded area behind the Packhof, toward the damaged building, and the second is now placed in front of the Lehrter Bahnhof.

I. Kant;345780s said:
Gamplay and flow. Awesome. Feels fluent, you never get the feeling it'll take ages to get back into combat, but there's no short routes so you have to be careful.

Thanks, I was expecting a lot of complaints to the contrary because of the long walk distances, but for the Allies at least they are just a few steps away from the combat area, but there is still a way to go toward the cap. No UCs! Ever!

I. Kant;345780s said:
New skins. Me likes. I've had no problem with discerning who's who inside the buildings and I don't use any tuned up gamma. It's just the longer ranges that I'd made a mistake once or twice.

Again, thanks. A lot of pubbers seem to have some serious issues however, such as when I played Russian and tried to exit the spawn, I had two people shooting at me. Players should learn to recognize the new uniforms and more importantly, not be so damn trigger happy. Admittedly while tanking I get some TKs, but that is because when on the HE I hunt by movement, and the dark windows make it more difficult to spot or discern the enemy. But, this won't be changed! Communicate better.

I. Kant;345780s said:
Edit: and it takes long, but I can bear with that. Like around 3 mins to load the team select screen and then it freezes for another 20-30 seconds before I can select the team.

It's the same way for me, rather unfortunately.

I. Kant;345780s said:
HE ranges. From what I've played a bit in the SU and IS, didn't get to a spot where a shell inside a building wouldn't kill the guy I wanted to kill - but that's mostly based on experience around the apratments and the hotel areas.

I noticed it a fair deal in the Hotel, where the shell would impact a wall behind the target and he would be unscathed. This is also an issue with the Alsen Viertel (building to the left of Himmler's House when approaching as a Russian).

Not too sure of some of the changes you're doing, to be honest. Especially the increase in HE damage (already very deadly... see Quietus' comment), the smaller Moltke capzone and the change in reinforcements. I feel that the map was perfectly balanced already: the final stage of the battle seems to get fought within the final few minutes of the map, and the team with the best communication wins. I personally like this. I guess it depends on how long you want the fight for the Moltke Bridge to be.

I agree that the 88 overlooking that street needs moving. It's next to useless there. Also, on the subject of the PaK43's, I can now also confirm that it's still a bit buggy. You know, the famous "fire one shot and it stops working" bug. It's not just your map though, it also happens with the AhZ guns. Sometimes the gun works, sometimes it doesn't. It's a very annoying bug, and if it happens it means that the Germans will have a much harder time defending Berlin.

HE will remain the same, but I will be adjusting the problematic rooms in question where it is seemingly ineffective. The Moltke Bridge cap now should likely yield more German casualties I would imagine, which is why I increased their reinforcements. I also adjusted the spawn for the Axis within the courtyard of Himmler's House such that it should take slightly longer to get back in to the cap. But with all of these tradeoffs, the Allies will need more time to actually cap it. The Panzerfaust spawns will probably be doubled but their respawn times doubled as well, so the volume of these being fired should be reduced. Also, the "mortar fire" of fausts just seemed silly to me, and I want to cut back on that. Yet with respawning PaK guns, the defense shouldn't be too skewed against the Axis, who will be able to project greater firepower over a distance that the Panzerfausts are relatively ineffective at. I guess I will need to see how it plays out.

One thing about flow I wanted to discuss and get some feedback on is the Hotel capzone, because I have received a fair deal of complaints in regard to the Axis spawn and having to move up a street virtually devoid of cover. The main issue that made this a problem was the Russian tanks pushing up too far, but on the other hand I felt that the players within the Hotel should be working to keep the Russian tanks at bay. If they can't stop the advance, I felt that the cap was meant to fall. But, others have said they would like for the Axis to have an alternate route to the cap. Any opinions on this?

And,

My Suggestions:

1)Add one PaK43 to the Hotel capzone.With armor support, it is too easy for the Soviets to cap the hotel.

2)Spawn one Tiger or Panther for the german at the bridge objective.

3)Sound improvement :artillery sound, flying plane animations.

I have to disagree on just about all points. There was originally meant to be a PaK43 at the Hotel, but I scrapped that idea due to my belief that the Soviets were just hitting AT defense after AT defense (two PaKs in the opening stages, then Pantherturm). Besides, it is an area where Panzerfausts become more fun. :)

No tanks, because the Germans only had some 60 armored vehicles within the city, and I have read no accounts of such vehicles defending the bridge, though King Tigers were situated just behind it for the defense of the Konigsplatz.

With sounds, I would have preferred to have more thunderous artillery, but never got to it. Planes are another thing, I wanted to have either Russian bombers or low-flying reconnaissance planes active, but due to a will to conserve resources, I had to scrap these plans.

Upvote 0
EvilHobo said:
One thing about flow I wanted to discuss and get some feedback on is the Hotel capzone, because I have received a fair deal of complaints in regard to the Axis spawn and having to move up a street virtually devoid of cover. The main issue that made this a problem was the Russian tanks pushing up too far, but on the other hand I felt that the players within the Hotel should be working to keep the Russian tanks at bay. If they can't stop the advance, I felt that the cap was meant to fall. But, others have said they would like for the Axis to have an alternate route to the cap. Any opinions on this?

Well, I think there shouldn't be an alternative route. Maybe just a bit more cover on the street. As it is, I've seen Russians stopped in front of the hotel and the tanks keeping back due to nasty Fausts - coming especially from the building on the left, in front of the hotel (sometimes from under the arches on the right, though). Also, I've seen Germans weeded out of these buildings and tanks advancing to MG and HE the reinforcements route, cutting out the hotel and making it ripe for falling.
For me, it was fun (as SS-Schutze) to try to get to the hotel and be unable to advance, to be forced to fall back.

If you plan on adding a second gun in the next capzone after the hotel (on the opposite side of the street from what I gather), then I say deffo one route. Just a bit more cover, if it's plausible.

Upvote 0