• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map RO-Kriegstadt beta 1

In regard to the PaK43, why would I make and release a version of it and label it as my own? My agreement with the DH team stated that I could use the gun, but the agreement was also that it was not to be shared or implemented in other projects outside of Kriegstadt. If anything, my modifications to it could be construed as further development as a result of playtesting, and if the DH team approves these modifications can be made to the Mod release. Now if the team told me to default, I would, solely out of respect for the agreement.

My point was that yes, be sure it is imbeded and that if you have some design suggestions or valuable beta feedback, share it with Teufelhund as he is finalizing all the AT gun class code for our vehicles_2 package. If there is worthwhile information to incorporate/alter then it only makes sense to do so while we are in final testing. We anticipate a release in October if our testing and tweaking goes well, but we have a massive package of eight models so who knows exactly when.

Upvote 0
I know you have performance to think about but there are a few things that could be made 'prettier' to make the map better. You probably know most of these and already fixing them for the next beta but I thought I'd point out the ones that stick out to me.

This hole looks pretty boring without any debris around the building or inside the rooms:
Shot00053.png

This bit is about as far 'south' as you can go on the map, it's between the two buildings that the Germans defend the Moltke Bridge from.
Shot00055.png

This is when you turn left outside the last German spawn.
Shot00060.png

Even though you can't get past due to invisible walls all four sides of the Bridge looks pretty boring, and you can see where corners were cut like in this one shot:
Shot00063.png

Also in a couple of rooms I noticed bits of the map from outside the room poking through, but only when looked from certain angles. This is one them, I can't remember where the other is:
Shot00056.png

I know I'm being a bit pedantic but I'm sure it's not only me who wants this map to turn out the best it can.

Upvote 0
Well I have noticed and agree with a lot of what you've pointed out, but in order for me to meet my September 7th deadline that I set I had to cut some corners. The area behind the final objective may be improved, but I want to work on correcting/optimizing the rest of the map before I do things like add the Kroll Opera or other parts of the Konigsplatz. The railings being abruptly cut off was due to my unwillingness to fill the gap with yet more static meshes (which would be more triangles and worse performance), so the goal is to create a 2D texture and apply it to sheets running along the riverbank. This will be a Beta 2 fix.

I will admit though that debris at the Packhof completely slipped my mind, and I'll get to fixing that.

Also, in regard to terrain leaks, there isn't much I can do. I would have move or adjust the world geometry to fit on the same grid pattern as the terrain, which is simply not feasible at this point. I could do some stuff to "cover up," but we will see. I don't consider it a priority at the moment.

Upvote 0
Are you thinking about expanding the capzone for the Bridge? Because I see a lot of people doing what you suggest, following the tank, but once someone got lucky enough to hit it with a panzerfaust there were about 5 of us left with no choice but to rush in the Germans direction and get mowed down. We almost won when the Germans seemed to forget they had panzerfausts for a while and we managed to get to the second line of debris, but then the tank moved forward a few feet and got demolished, thus leaving us with too few men in the capzone :(

It is really is a tough objective, one that truly defines 'running out the clock'. I hope the Russians will be seeing victory more often in the next beta :D

Upvote 0
Some suggestions

PaK43 at Moabit street
pak432kv5.jpg

Where it is placed now is not of much use and has a portion of the street out of it's arch of fire. Shifting it more to the right would give it a longer life span and give the gunner more tanks to shoot at rather then wasting AP rounds on infantry in the ruins.

Packhof
packhof1qk5.jpg

I know you're always looking to cut down on polygons. The window frames look a bit too far out of place here. It would look alot better with them removed.

Right PaK43 behind Moltke bridge.
pak431lr1.jpg

Unless that IS-2 mesh is there for a reason. Moving it to the right would give this gun a longer life span.

Building next to Himmlers house.
railing1hz8.jpg

Railings inside have no collision.

PaK43's at the bridge:

It always seems that the same 2 guns are spawning in the exact same place each time. There are 2 more guns on each side of Himmlers house never spawn because they aren't linked to the bridge objective. Rigging those 2 to the objective would add more life to the guns.

Upvote 0
yeah, it was me and you against the whole German army - but then the server started to clear out and you left me... alone :( *cries*

j/k everyone was bailing at that point - and so did I shortly after you left.

I have to keep reminding myself.. I took some screenshots of terrain that looks kinda funky (comes inside the buildings), plus a shot of the 'hole' that lets you fall through the map, but those are on my comp at home. I'll post them later.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have to keep reminding myself.. I took some screenshots of terrain that looks kinda funky (comes inside the buildings), plus a shot of the 'hole' that lets you fall through the map, but those are on my comp at home. I'll post them later.

Don't worry about it Rez. I've more or less discovered all of the areas in question and fixed them if it were possible. One of the things I liked about the COD editor from days past was the ability to alter terrain or a vertex by vertex basis, so terrain could be made to conform around a structure. The holes have been corrected, but the leaks still need some work, and I don't quite know what to do with them.

Upvote 0
As I stated in the preview thread, the removal of such objects could only be done via altering the textures and setting them to be a DXT5 dds as opposed to a DXT1 dds. The issue was that with alpha enabled, you might see unusual graphical oddities when for instance the area which was made invisible overlapped with something like smoke: this is why if someone throws a smoke grenade but you view it through a window, no smoke is visible. A similar effect would occur with the greatcoats: they would be walking visual glitches. And yes, it would be better to simply craft a new model, but unfortunately those are skills which I simply do not possess.

Upvote 0