• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

RO and foul language

Alternatively you can have something like a English-to-1337 translator but instead you reverse the idea... A 1337-to-English translator.

The idea is that all vowels replaced by a number and /\/\ or \/\/'s are recognized and returned to M or W.

Eitherway words like f*ck, etc should be penalized and translated in something ridiculous British swearing words like bollocks or damned. :D
**** and crap should be allowed as they are not actually swear words and are said on a daily base.

I also think that gaming-acronyms like: gj, gg, wtf, stfu, omfg, omg, rtfm, rtm etc should all be recognized as replaced by: Good Job!, Good Game!, What the Hell?, Shut up!/Shut it!, Oh my God!, Oh my God!, Read the bloody manual, Read the manual, etc.

This once featured in UT2k4, it was also very pleasant that it was read by a digital voice like Microsoft Sam.

Also something which should help people who can't read when whole texts are written in small , all beginning letters, all geographical words, etc should be transformed to a capital letter. (for some people who have trouble reading, or people who are annoyed by this like me)

Now these aren't jokes! :D

Upvote 0
Perhaps there could be a swear filter that could replace any curse words with others much more repulsive and random ..for example ' Oh you poopyface' or 'your gonna die now you naughtystinky' , 'you're mommas a doggone naughty lady' ' You are a big old butt!'

I dunno guess all the swearing has never really bothered me..I've got selective hearing anyways or so my girlfriend says. :) i.e. GIRLFRIEND FILTER

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Swearing is a part of war, just like dying, how are we to feel that we "are in a war" as ROOST aims to do without people yelling expletives every now and then?

Besides, half the time no one will listen to you if you nicely type in "Hey gentlemen, please stop running straight up the street into the enemy MG, that is most foolish, flank around to the left if you please."

Now, if you see there are a bunch of new players dong something stupid like that and type in: "Hey dumbasses, ENEMY MG UP THE ****IN ROAD, FLANK LEFT!!!" for some reason, you get more people listening. Is it the insult to the intelligence/masculinity/sexuality of the people that grabs their attention and makes them think about what they are doing? Who knows.

But remember like Patton said: "If you tell it to 'em dirty, they won't forget it."

Upvote 0
How about filtering out racist / sexist language?

Regular explitives don't bother me so much, but Jack, just to play Devil's Advocate here: Just because it was war, doesn't make it appropriate. For example Swastikas aren't in the game, and I don't think they should (and don't even think about steering this thread to Swastikas for historical accuracy).

Upvote 0
People seem to get too "hurt" by mere words/objects these days. I think they are becoming panzies and too forget history is to simply repeat it. Having a flag in a video game isn't saying "THE NAZI'S WERE OK" It's merely a flag..that was actaully used by them, nothing more.

People need to stop looking to censor out every little thing they find offensive and need to learn to realize it's not going to hurt them to hear a "naughty" word unless they want it to hurt them.

what's even more funny to me at least, is all this takes place in a game where people are killing other people....I mean, is that not Ironic?

"oh no, a nazi flag!"
"oh no, he said damn!"
"Dang you, I almost had a perfect head shot!"

Have a filter, let those that don't wnat to hear things "offensive" turn it on and those that don't give a flip can leave it off and not feel like they are being censored in a game which is about killing people....

Upvote 0
Stiler said:
People seem to get too "hurt" by mere words/objects these days. I think they are becoming panzies and too forget history is to simply repeat it. Having a flag in a video game isn't saying "THE NAZI'S WERE OK" It's merely a flag..that was actaully used by them, nothing more.

People need to stop looking to censor out every little thing they find offensive and need to learn to realize it's not going to hurt them to hear a "naughty" word unless they want it to hurt them.

what's even more funny to me at least, is all this takes place in a game where people are killing other people....I mean, is that not Ironic?

"oh no, a nazi flag!"
"oh no, he said damn!"
"Dang you, I almost had a perfect head shot!"

Have a filter, let those that don't wnat to hear things "offensive" turn it on and those that don't give a flip can leave it off and not feel like they are being censored in a game which is about killing people....
My god, of my many years on the interweb that is the first thing I've read that made any sense.

Edit: You know what's even funnier? I had to look up how to spell "pamphlet" on Dictionary.com!
lol

Upvote 0
Pycckuu said:
I'm sure alot of us don't want to come home late, get on the computer to play some RO just to hear some immature child using his high pitched voice and poor grammar to call you inapropriate things. Therefore, I propose RO comes with a swear filter, standard. All bad words (except for Jesus, he was cool, plus its not a bad word) will be filtered out (maybe leave some British curse words in, they can be funny at times). In addition to that, internet cliches, such as orly, yarly, ftw, ftl, qft, and so on, should be filtered out. Furthermore, I propose that leetspeak should also be regarded as foul language, and therefore be filtered. Using a number to replace a vowel should result in a 1 hour long ban, with additional 2 hours added for each vowel replaced with a number. This way, we can keep the maturity level relatively high, and even have some intellectual discussions while we play.
What do you guys think?

This is such an incredibly stupid idea that I puked in my mouth. You have to be immature to even suggest such an idiotic addition. Cmon, for christ sakes lets just replace the bullets with airsoft pellets to not offend the squeamish. My God.

I honestly cant believe you guys. First of all, if this were even put in, do you believe for one second that these "immature" players wouldnt spam to see what they could or couldnt say. Then they would spam the filter, then they would make up new ways to say it and it would be even worse. How damn sensitive do you have to be to be offended by "foul language" anyway? Really, shut up about this stupid **** and worry about actually playing the game. If you cant have fun because of a word then dont play the game. Ideas are getting ludicrous at this point. Must you people find a way to have a problem with everything?

Franky im sorry for the honesty but really, this is just 100% plain stupid. Toughen up, its a damn word. It wont hurt your delicate body.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
LOL That's the attitude I am talking about Amerikaner! We are hear to kill the enemy not coddle them and feed 'em ice cream cones!!!! DIE MOTHER F*****S! That's how I want you to time your bursts!! DO YOU GET ME!?!? YOU SORRY SACK OF S***!!

....seriously, getting back to the Nazi flags and what not, all that shows me is that people aren't really "over" the whole Nazi thing to begin with. There is a difference between not wanting to revert back to a certain political attitude or way of life, and just burying your head in the sand and pretending it never existed.

For me, not being allowed to show Swastikas has nothing to do with "protecting" the youth or anything else, it's just a revisionist device so that people will eventually forget what flag the Germans really were flying during the war. Probably 50 years from now no one will even really know what the Nazis stood for or what their aims were.

Upvote 0