• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

RO and foul language

Golf33 said:
...folks are so keen on making the RO experience as unpleasant as possible, just because "it's close to real war"...

I personally don't find swearwords "unpleasant", but in which context they are said. And I find a straight forward "****" after a TK or the loss of a hard round not offensive at all.

On the other hand, I would find "phuk j00, j00 stoopid f4g, go phuk ur m0m..." much more offensive, as it was meant to hurt and insult. And no filter can filter out what is meant... So, IMHO filters don't solve anything and just make conversation harder, so no need for thm to exist...
As an anology to curse-filters I might mention the sun-glasses of Zaphod Beeblebrox....

Upvote 0
Amerikaner said:
This is an M rated game, how about you people act like M rated adults.
What, so you expect a higher standard of behaviour from children under 15 than you do from adults?

I would prefer to teach my children appropriate behaviour by living it myself, as far as I am able.

I've played plenty of competitive sports, and in my experience good players don't trash talk. It's the insecure types who trash talk that are more likely to play dirty and less likely to have any concept of sportsmanship.

Play up and play the game I tell you!

Regards

Upvote 0
Excessive cursing is immature in all but the most skilled people's mouths.

I know a funny person from my outfit in Planetside. He gets pissed off all the time at some of the crap we end up facing. While it would sound really immature and childish from other people's mouths, his rants are hilarious. He starts off everything with "God damnit!" and unleashes a torrent of curses over Teamspeak, leaving us all in laughter while he fumes.

Now, excessive cursing in a chat box is different, and usually much more annoying, especially if it is targetted at a person instead of a game's injustice. That is the difference.

Someone screaming "WTF GAY IS THAT CRAP U SNIPER PUSSY CAMPING NOOB AHHHHH!" needs to be dealt with by admins.

But a simple, joking "****!" can make people smile after said curser dies a particularly embarassing death, for example.

By the 6th grade, every child knows just about every cuss in the book. In my opinion, "sheltering" children from curses does no good and only leaves them shocked and embarassed and feeling difficult later on, especially in high school.

Upvote 0
Golf33 said:
What, so you expect a higher standard of behaviour from children under 15 than you do from adults?

I would prefer to teach my children appropriate behaviour by living it myself, as far as I am able.

I've played plenty of competitive sports, and in my experience good players don't trash talk. It's the insecure types who trash talk that are more likely to play dirty and less likely to have any concept of sportsmanship.

Play up and play the game I tell you!

Regards

Good players dont trash talk, huh? Watch the NFL, NBA, any hockey event, boxing, etc. etc. etc. etc. and youll be proven wrong in an instant.

You can practice a good example for your kids all you want. Thats great but theres no reason to censor our games because your kids might happen to walk into the room while your playing.

Upvote 0
Jack said:
I know one time playing FEAR multiplayer a guy told everyone to stop cussing because his 5 year old was watching.

So it was okay to see people's arms, legs, and heads being blown off in slow motion, but a curse word every now and then was too much :'

That's the same with seeing the occasional nipple... No mater how many people die, one breast is bad :(

Upvote 0
I know lol. I see so many parents when I am in Blockbuster pick up a movie and you over hear them takling about if "the kids" can see it, usually one of them says something like "well it's R for violence, drug use, and gore." then the spouse is like "what about sex?" "No..." "OK let's get it." :D

Upvote 0
Jack said:
Yeah with the Europeans and their sports: they don't cuss each other out, they just get straight to rioting, throwing people over the bleachers, beatings, etc. ;)

Don't forget Crickett.

The only game I've heard of where the home team holds Tea for the visitors.

Mmmm tea and crumpets...glalalglalala

Back to topic: Some people are for it some are against it. People don't mind it being a client or server admin option. I think it's been discussed to death, and nothing else productive will likely come of this discussion, so close the thread I say.

Upvote 0
Haha!! Cricket is an excellent game, loads of sportsmanship and you can still throw a solid piece of cork and leather at some guys head!!

Anywho, back to topic indeed; personally i dont like people swearing as text but i can live with it. However it does get on my nerves if some guy's swearing again and again out of my speakers! I've played in games where some players have been perminantly mouthing off at the team and enemy which just makes things less fun generally in the game! Anywho, i'm just another opinion on the subject!

Upvote 0