• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Realism id

The_Countess said:
now i dont know about you but i was a civilian, in a full scale ingagement, id get the HELL out of there.

when there is a much fighting going on as in the avarige RO: O map i dont think you'd see a whole lot of civilians during the fighting. they've have fled the general area long befor the fireright got up to that level.

I totally agree on that, I would also happen to be the first to flee if a war ever happened on Scottish soil :D

Upvote 0
Desantnik said:
Deathsai I am sure you cannot possible speak for all civilians in all battles...thats just naivety at its finest. And what about when we get to the city maps? The maps have basements and bunkers where the civies would hide...and especially in Berlin...I am sure you would see some civilians....

Seriously, civilians didn't hang around for battles in WWII. Of course, there were civilians on battlefields for any number of reasons, but there absolutely nothing "unrealistic" about there not being civilians on the little tiny squares of land that constitute RO maps.

But more importantly, why the f*** would you want civilians in a game set on the Eastern Front?

How about you pretend they are all hiding in the next block over, where you can't get to because of the "realistic" minefields. Then you can wistfully gaze at the map edge thinking what you could do with those civilians if weren't for the darn minefield.

Upvote 0
My Opa told me a story about his time fighting during the Battle of the Bulge. His comrades and him were firing on the enemy, when, out of the blue, a man started walking across the street.

This guy had to be at least 70-80, and was just walking across the street, like tlaking to himself or something, the firing almost completely stopped until he crossed the street and went into his neighbour's house.

I think that would add a whole new definition to the 'creepy war happenings,' old men and women just wandering across the street, or like, if you're in a house, kind of camping out, waiting for the enemy, someone comes out of the basement and just... does something.

Imagine the impact on someone's psyche that could have, you're watching for the enemy, your finger is itching. You hear footsteps coming up the stairs, turn and fire. A man lays on the stairs, holding his chest, crying for his mother.

Then again, Im a realism freak.

Upvote 0
I just came up with this idea but how about the option to be a civilian as a class such as a woman, old man or child, depending of whom you select: for example if your the woman class it's your job running around the map ducking and diving for cover while searching for your lost child and even crying out the child's name, once you have found your child then you have another objective: trying to get to calm your child down by giving him cuddles and kisses then you both have try to look for places to hide in away from the conflict.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
civs would hide in battle,yeah, but they did live on the streets.
berlin 1945, hitler wouldnt let the populace leave, leaving them in a SS controlled city, eating what they could find. hell,they'd carve the good meat out of rotting animals. there'd be bodies all over the place not getting cleaned up, or put on a big pile and burned.
i wouldnt mind seeing this being implemented

or make 1 or maybe 2 maps with this : Russian's/Soviets gone wild, want revenge for whatever, and try to do a genocide.
the civilians woudl be hiding, the 'rogue' side would try and find to kill them all, the side wich the civvie's belong to has to find an X-amount of civ's to rescue, while watching out for the enemy. make the civ's spawn at random places, so every round feels fresh.
warcrimes, why leave it? it happened.

besides, the gameplay mode i suggested would encourage teamwork too i think... try thinking of it like this: you find civ's and need to bring them to the 'safe' zone, but they follow you, so you cant stop and cover them, you need your team for this, coordinating a defence.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Offended by realisim?

Offended by realisim?

It is a good idea to place civilians in the game as long as they are vulnerable too and dont degrade the games performance. Those who are likely to be offended by this and other aspects of the game really ought to consider taking up sewing and floral arangement and leaving first person shooting games altogether.
Another sugestion would be to make the maps larger. I love to snipe and sadly the distances are just too small or the visibility is too poor to maximize scopes. I have been shooting for 30+ years and enjoy this product greatly but it is not up to snuff in this one-though important area.Just a suggestion.

Upvote 0