• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Just a little hint about the SWAT perk, please?..

Well,there's now a whole other page so I'll just put my two cents there about LMGs:

1)It certainly depends on the LMG about accuracy. Of course most modern LMGs are made to be as usable and effective as possible , so I'm guessing they're lighters and more accurate. But I'm not sure than old machine guns are that reliable and could then be an effective way of adding an LMG (I'm thinking about the M60 that could easily overheat for example ,could be an interesting mechanic , or the MG42 which was heavy as hell). Plus, I'm sure that most LMG aren't that accurate if you "fire at will" . My best bet is that it would be better to fire short bursts and/or use a bipod in order to do so.

2)KF2 is a highly mobile game? Then it's a good way to turn it upside down! I don't know about you ,but I love when a game allow me to experiment different playstyles , and if I can for once defend a small zone without worrying about a gorefast , I think it's worth a try! That's something that bothers me a bit in KF2: the only viable strategy is to kite everywhere... I miss the different opportunities the first game offered.

3)I understand that the mag size is bothersome ,as it is very important ,but then maybe we could only use LMGs with a reasonable magazine? Nothing more than 60 bullets for example.

So in the end,here's how I see the LMGs being done (if they are ever added in the game)

+Large magazines
+Powerful
+High rate of fire

-Takes a long time to reload
-Weight a lot (so you're slowed down badly and can't pack another gun,besides a pistol)
-Can overheat
-Expensive
-Not very accurate if you spray and pray

So we would get a powerful weapon category that cranks up the commando(or eventually the SWAT?) in both his advantages and weaknesses

Upvote 0
A proper machine gunner perk would be great, but I am not sure that SWAT is the best name for it.

I agree. I never liked the name SWAT to begin with, because it's specific to an organization (i.e., American elite police) rather than a role. The name is just from dug-up game files rather than an official confirmation, so I'm hoping it gets changed regardless of what the perk does.

If I could pick anything, I'd love to see a Mad Scientist or something: a class that uses completely non-conventional weapons like a Tesla cannon, acid launcher, etc.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I really hope it's a machine gunner perk, either mobile LMGs or tripod-mounted MGs. I don't see SMGs being very interesting, as Commando overlaps with that role too much.

I think the only way LMGs would be balanced in kf would be if they had to be mounted to use. SWAT as a tanky perk (high health and armor) with it's drawback being it has weapons that are bulky and take a while to set up/use would be a balanced tradeoff I think.

we are keeping a close eye on what roles they need to fill as we work on existing perk balance and role refinement.

After sharpshooter comes out and demo gets some balance patches, all the roles that were in kf1 will be fully filled in kf2 I think. The only new roles I can think of that weren't in kf1 (and of course aren't in kf2) that I can think of that could fit in the game are:
  • Crowd Controller: differs from AOE zed killers like firebug and demo in that they have lower damage and focus more on utility such as stopping, slowing, or amplifying damage on zeds in an AOE. Perks that could fit in the game that would fit this role could include a Cyroweapon perk, Toxic/Acid weapon perk, Electric Weapon perk, and possibly SWAT (if it has like a tear gas launcher as a weapon or something, along with a few other high utility weapons).
  • Heavy Killer/Tank:something like what I described above for SWAT. Basically a perk that is slow but durable. Making it actually move slower than normal (negative movespeed modifier) might be too much, so I'd make the slowness come from weapons like long reload times or having to set up a tri-pod for a machine gun before firing. Something like 150hp/150armor sounds fair; either that or 150/100 with a bunch of defensive perk skills.
  • Variants of existing perks: Martial artist could fit in this, being a faster/higher damage berserker with less durability, or by making it have near equal durability with lower damage and more utility (higher stumble/stun/aoe stumbles via chi-blasts or some crazy stuff like that).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'd much rather have machine guns you have to set up and tear down. It would go a long way to making the class unique and offering huge area control.

I picture Martial Artist as being a precision-based melee class with hit and run attacks on weak spots and on high value targets, whereas Berserker is about brute force.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well they could add a LMG like the MG42. 1200 firerate, damage like the Scar, 250 ammo belt!!
But it should be the most expensive weapon in the game. For like 3000 it would be great!
Twice the firerate of the SCAR-H, similar damage output, and almost the same quantity of ammo.

Where does the idea come from that by charging 3000 dosh, it somehow balances out the clearly dogs-balls statistics you've mentioned above? The cost of the item isn't going to shut players out, so much as encourage constant spamming of REQUEST DOSH at the end of wave 1 to the end of wave 9.

I think the worst thing that Tripwire could possibly do, is listen to the fans that are asking for a machine gun, particularly those that are showing a blatant disregard for actual in-game balance.

Upvote 0
Setting up a machinegun is a cool mechanic. It works in Rainbow Six Seige with that Tahchanka guy. It takes a few seconds to setup/deploy the gun, and it only gets a couple mags, but the mags are large meaning you can really hold down an area well.

And if packing up takes just as long you're absolutely ****ed when a raged Fleshpound charges you from behind. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0