• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

I'll Show You Mine If You'll Show Me Yours (Part Deux)

Actually, Tula wartime production is lower. Prewar production at Tula was higher than at Izhevsk. I think Tula is more popular over here because it is easier for us to pronounce. Plus it has that big Soviet star right there on the shank.

Here is my '42 Tula.
42Tulamark.jpg

If I can find the production numbers again I'll post them here.

-------------------------------------------------------
This is one I've had for awhile, and never got around to taking pictures of. This is my 1944 Izhevsk Ex-sniper. The Soviets removed the scope and bent bolt during it's refurbishment in the Seventies. It has an excellent bore though, and is a tack driver.

44exsniper.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yes, they were (and are) rarer.

What I meant was that there were a lot more back in WWII.

The reason is that a lot of them started life as Tula made M91s for WWI and between wars and were later converted to 91/30s.

If you own a hex reciever rifle, there is a good chance it was once an M91.

I also have one of the older 1918 M91s but it's in bad shape unfortunately.

Upvote 0
Actually, hex receivers were made NEW into 1936. From 1930 to 1936. There were brand new production 91/30s with hex receivers. I have a 1934 Tula hex, and a 1931 Izhevsk hex. They did update Dragoons to 91/30 specs. I have a 1928 Izhevsk like that.

There were a few M91 that were cut down. A friend of mine has a 1917 Remington 91/30.

Upvote 0
Actually, hex receivers were made NEW into 1936. From 1930 to 1936. There were brand new production 91/30s with hex receivers. I have a 1934 Tula hex, and a 1931 Izhevsk hex. They did update Dragoons to 91/30 specs. I have a 1928 Izhevsk like that.

There were a few M91 that were cut down. A friend of mine has a 1917 Remington 91/30.

I know that. That's why I posted "lot of them" instead of "all of them".

Most were new made in 30s. But you have to remember that there were tons of M91s from WWI that were converted. The ones that escaped conversion were sold to other countries.

Mine is one such rifle in that it has the Czar Eagle Crest pinged out and the Bulgarian Oak Leave (IIRC) marked on the stock.

I would love to get my hands one a U.S. made Westinghouse M91.

Upvote 0
Woulden't the hex recievers be easier to manufacture than the round ones? How come there are more round recievers, seems arse about tit to me

No, the hex ones were harder to make IIRC.

Pre War rifles were better quality since time was taken to make them. Wartime made examples will be rough but functional and were manufactured as fast and cheap as possible.

This rule applied to all rifles at that time period. Even the K98k had better quality in the 30s and were very rough but still functional in the lat 40s.

Upvote 0
I know that. That's why I posted "lot of them" instead of "all of them".

Most were new made in 30s. But you have to remember that there were tons of M91s from WWI that were converted. The ones that escaped conversion were sold to other countries.

Mine is one such rifle in that it has the Czar Eagle Crest pinged out and the Bulgarian Oak Leave (IIRC) marked on the stock.

I would love to get my hands one a U.S. made Westinghouse M91.

Ok, I just didn't want someone new to the rifles reading that and getting confused. Most Dragoons were converted since they were already the length of a 91/30. M91's were sent to friendly nations as aid.

I'd like a New Englan Westinghouse myself. I have a 1917 Finn Capture Remington M91, But the NEW's seem harder to find.

Upvote 0