• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Hit detection blows

There definitely is a problem. I get great fps and latency and sometimes it takes me 3+ shots on a bolt or more bullets than necessary using an smg. I'm no god at shooting, but I know what I'm doing and even under no pressure, crouched with sights directly on someone's torso, I fire and after the 2nd shot, they turn around and head shot me. It's ridiculous.

Upvote 0
Watch this.
Ping & FPS on the right
No more reason for debate, it's there for everyone to see.

Now let's see if Tripwire acknowledges the issue instead of the same old (Can't replicate at office so no dice) they've been throwing at us from the beginning.

I love this game, I love Tripwire, but if something as fundemental as shooting isn't done right, it's going to fail.

Upvote 0
There certainly issue, though I have also noticed it on low-ping servers. I once stood over an opposition player and emptied a magazine into them, then pulled out my revolver, took two shots before finally dropping a grenade in their lap and running off. Thankfully they didn't seem to notice me, or just didn't run away far enough, as the grenade finally got them. However, as amusing as that was, there does seem to be an issue with hit detection needing resolving.

Upvote 0
Watch this.
Ping & FPS on the right
As someone else pointed out, that isn't your ping. That is the latency of each frame being drawn - if you divide 1000 (one second in milliseconds) by the average figure you see there (say 30 for the sake of argument) you get 33.3 frames per second, which matches up with your framerate.

Personally speaking, with your framerate that low, and the way you fired at the guy running across / towards you, to me it is conceivable that you could have missed, especially when he was running towards you. You didn't lead him when he was sprinting across you either, you fired at or behind him. Just my opinion. I haven't yet come across this problem.

It is worth having stat net up to check your ping on any servers you think exhibit this issue, and see if the servers are running high player counts, and whether they are "reputable" servers - i.e. TW, TWB, or others that have a history of running well set-up servers with good hardware.

Reactions: CrazyFingers
Upvote 0
Can't say i've ever noticed an issue playing on servers close to me in the UK

I always go on servers witha sub 70ms ping, closer to 50 normally. One thing i will say is previously i ran the game at highest and was getting 30 to 40fps. I then lowered 4 or 5 things, i set FXAA to Low, Character models to medium, trees/bushes to medium, shadows to medium, and turn Ambient Occlusion off. The game still looks great in all the right places, but i get a solid 60fps, and it makes the world of difference to how the game plays and feels.

Upvote 0
Hit detection works fine, when I join a server I do a shoot check where I shoot the wall and based on the bullet response time will play on the server.

Spoiler!

Edit: For some reason semis and bolt action rifles do not have a bullet decals so use the pistol or something else to check it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I agree. Hit detection up close seems to be the worst, I sometimes empty half a g41 clip from almost point blank range into a dude.

He doesn;t go down, grinds me up with his SMG, even though I know there is now way I could have missed 5 times.

And stuff like this has happened to me dozens of times across every weapon in the game.

Just came on to the forums to say this myself. I'm a damn good shot. Hell, I'm scoring some long range kills hip firing a machine gun. But then theres a guy who climbs through the window whilst I have a semi-automatic rifle. Fire all my shots point blank. And apparently I miss....

I really hope this is a bug and not the game being programmed to have wonky bullet syndrome accuracy % chance to hit.

Upvote 0
Might just be the server code needing a little update; i've seen kills that take 1-2 sec for the guy to drop infront of me. A little lag going on im pretty sure is what is causing this.
That could also be a slow death situation. Sometimes you shoot someone and they "die", but they have a few seconds of stumbling around before they actually keel over and give up the ghost.

Upvote 0