• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

First impressions from RO veteran

******* Cod players are plaguing us now, look at the idiots saying sway isnt realistic, GET OVER IT AND JUST PLAY RELAXED REALISM. THIS THREAD IS FOR HARDCORE PLAYERS

Never played CoD in my life, but I just want to point out that "hardcore players" are always a minority and there's in the end very little reasons to cater a game for them, if it drives away the majority that make the game the most money.

I think RO2 has a really good balance of staying RO and making it more accessible and "mainstream" to attract wider range of people.

As for the sway, maybe after sprinting it should be more, but overall the weapons do sway and it's just fine. It's not like every soldier had parkinson's.

Upvote 0
hmm, what you are pissed of?

You didnt notice we play a Beta lite? Its not more than a demo!
I am pretty sure that the real beta tester play a far developed version.

After what i saw in this "Beta" is that this game got a huge potential.
Only a few things make me really upset like the music (what the hell is this crap???) und the lack of weapon weavering (after a sprint!!!) it feels like CoD ... i dont like CoD anymore :D

Upvote 0
The game so far feels much more like World at War on hardcore mode than Red Orchestra. I'm not too happy about the state of the weapon models and weapon animations in comparison to Red Orchestra, I think even if you just ported them over from RO it would have been much better than what's on offer now. The sounds are nice, I'm getting used to them now. I think the weapon handling has been toned down but it was probably excessive in RO anyway.

Overall in terms of gameplay, mostly an improvement over RO1. Some things need to be sorted. Bullet wall penetration seems excessive. Everyone runs around quite fast and too much.

I thought alot of RO veterans would be more critical of the game considering that you'd barely believe it was a sequel to RO but I dunno. I'm getting more used to it now. Still can't get over the state of the weapon models and animations though, I'm surprised more people aren't making a deal of that one. Or maybe RO was just so far ahead of its time...

Upvote 0
...the game is fun, I like it...

Sounds like TWI hit the nail on the head.

No one is taking RO:OST away from you fellas. It will always be there.

Give this game time for the community to add content in and for the realism-clans to start doing scrims then I'm sure you'll be 100% satisfied - or maybe just 98% if they don't add in a bit more weapon sway after using all your stamina and slow you down just a tad when running uphill. ;)

Upvote 0
I'm also an RO1 Vet that hasn't played the RO2 Beta, however, if I did, I would agree with the OP.

I consider myself a 'Hardcore Realism' player ( simulation wargamer & ex-reenactor ) and my fears have come true regarding RO2 after hearing many of the Beta Testers ( which I figured would be the case anyways ).

- Movement speed might be alittle to fast ( RO1 did a nice job, except it was to quick running over rough or intervening obstacles, which is about half the time ) especially if coupled with a longer stamina time.
- Firing is far to accurate ( less weapon sway+more stamina+zoom ). It concerns me when a beta tester is able to hit 5 out of 5 times with his bolt-action instead of the ecceptable 0-1 out of 5...Keep in mind, several thousand rounds of ammo were expended per casualty in WWII.
- Special Equipment: air-recon, special weapons, heavy arty, level-ups, etc-etc...snore.
- Actually, the point in a game is 'Not to Die' ( that is how you become a Vet IRL ), rather then die constantly & keep respawning. It just concerns me when TWI thinks 5 minutes is a long time in a battle, when in fact 5 minutes is just the developing stages in a fire-fight.
- All the above gives us an overall idea what direction TWI wants this game is go in.

I dont know how much of the above can be modded and which servers will be playable for the 'Harcore Realism' community, but this equates to an unrealistic COD-MOH type of game play.
So, for the all Newbs and Arcade type players, this is the game for you, for the rest...God Help Us All.

Upvote 0
All these "hardcore" suggestions with more sway, slower aiming down the sight and slower running/slower exhaustion just favour the defense, which just sucks!

Uber sway sucks because defenders don t have sway because they are prone and/or behind cover ....

Slower aiming down the sights kills attackers and ppl on the run because the defense is already aiming down the sight and zoomed in.

Slower running makes the attackers/running ppl an easier target.

Faster exhaustion is a pain in the *** for the attackers because they need more time to reach their object.

More sway after running sucks for the attackers because when they reached the front line they can t hit anything because of the uber sway.Furthermore the defense is aiming down the sight, zoomed in and behind cover.Now the attackers are forced to do luck shot s with their lottery guns because he just ran, has sway and is completely exhausted because you wan t them to get out of breath really fast.

Come on guys... use your mind ... This just sucks !

You loved RO1 with completely crazy SMG recoil and now you scream realism.

All this i play RO1 since 1945 and i want RO2 to be the same , just sucks.You guys are stuck in the past and don't realise the phenomenal job TW has achieved.

It would even suck if hardcore servers would have these options because most of these suggestions just favour camping, defending using prone.... Ppl on the move and usally supressed und fire and e.g. have to stand while firing without cover are completely screwed. .... gay ..... All these suggetions just strenghten the defense.
The gameplay is brilliant at the moment!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oh guys :(
1. This is a beta. You know what it is for? Yes, to try out things! TW gets much criticism about things like stamina. So there is a high chance, that they'll balance that till release.
2. If they DON'T do it, they can also adjust it after release! For those things we got patches ;)
3. I'm not 100% sure how it is now, but I often heard, that the realism settings are broken atm. And the new patch will fix them. Maybe things like stamina are already adjusted there?

Just stay cool, and don't panic guys :) Trust TW a bit more. Have they ever let us down?

EDIT: and agree at Sight!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sounds like TWI hit the nail on the head.

No one is taking RO:OST away from you fellas. It will always be there.

Give this game time for the community to add content in and for the realism-clans to start doing scrims then I'm sure you'll be 100% satisfied - or maybe just 98% if they don't add in a bit more weapon sway after using all your stamina and slow you down just a tad when running uphill. ;)

It's not like we want TWI to change their entire game.

TWI chose to put in a 'hardcore mode'. I don't see what everyone, including RO1 fans shouldn;t be allowed to formulate what they would like to see in the mode.

Upvote 0