• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Firebug on Suicidal?

lol no. When **** hits the fan, they tend to run off on their own rather than die with the rest of the team trying to keep them alive. Then they rambo 100,000,000 specimens on their own for an hour and a half while you have to sit and watch them, after which they probably wont give you any money.

As a medic who has saved the team multiple times (Thin Ice Pirouette anyone?), I shall pose a question to you:

Would you rather the medic stay and die, thereby ending the game and forcing a map restart, or would you rather the medic make an effort to save the group from a wipe?

To be fair, I don't ditch players at the first sign of trouble. I heal because that is typically MY best chance at survival. However, if the group is in a poor position and a wipe is imminent, I will do my best to keep the game alive.

Furthermore, I take the time to tell players that if they stay within my line of sight, they will get healed. I suppose you could say I, as a medic, encourage team play. To take a step back, though, needing a medic to survive is more an indication of a terrible group these days than an indication that a medic discourages team play when he runs off. Most groups these days, I find myself bored stupid as a healing-focused medic.

Reactions: _Duke_
Upvote 0
As a medic who has saved the team multiple times (Thin Ice Pirouette anyone?), I shall pose a question to you:

Would you rather the medic stay and die, thereby ending the game and forcing a map restart, or would you rather the medic make an effort to save the group from a wipe?

To be fair, I don't ditch players at the first sign of trouble. I heal because that is typically MY best chance at survival. However, if the group is in a poor position and a wipe is imminent, I will do my best to keep the game alive.

Furthermore, I take the time to tell players that if they stay within my line of sight, they will get healed. I suppose you could say I, as a medic, encourage team play. To take a step back, though, needing a medic to survive is more an indication of a terrible group these days than an indication that a medic discourages team play when he runs off. Most groups these days, I find myself bored stupid as a healing-focused medic.

Actually, i'd rather restart the game than watch you solo 200+ specimens by yourself with the medic gun.

Generally, if the team wipes on one wave and the medic saves them, more often than not the players aren't up to par and they wipe on the wave after that where the medic just saved them. now i have to watch the medic solo another 200 specimens or just find a different server.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Really? Medics don't encourage teamwork?
Lv6 medic apparently doesn't, no.
For most medics, self healing climbs in the priority list as soon as your level is maxed and the high survivability often gets abused for other purposes than staying alive to keep the team alive.

Firebugs have the hardest time solo-ing.
In my book, having a hard time to do something on your own encourages not doing it on your own and I guess not doing stuff on your own is the definition of teamwork.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I must be the only non-corrupt level 6 Medic in existence.

Aside from Candlejack.
If I play medic (got everything on 6) I heal people.
Well, I heal people regardless of my perk so... yeah.
You'd think that is normal but it's not. Many medics succumb to the dark side.

I'm sure some dork out there wants self-healing to count towards medic experience because of the bothersome teamplay leveling medic up forces you to do.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
>=O

+me... but i reseted my perks and i dont have the time to play anymore. Stuck at lvl4

make that +me as well

also, however, Im stuck at lvl5 right now, so I guess I dont count:eek:

However, by the way that I generally heal my teammates above self-healing even if Im not a medic might suggest Id be an ok lvl6 medic(?)

I think its really the attitude above all else.

Is it about you or is it about your team?

As long as your response isn't "Its just about me" (like many players:() then youd do at least ok as a medic in my book.

Upvote 0
I'm still a tad confused. It would appear that, unless the medic dies with the team, he wasn't doing his job. Poppy-cock.

If you don't want to watch me solo 200 specimens, then don't die. But don't blame me (the dedicated healing medic) if as the sole surviving player I decide to finish the wave. Because up to that point, I was wholly committed to healing your @$$, to the exclusion of nearly all else.

And that's all I have to say on the matter. I shall leave you with this self-portrait:

real-noob.jpg

Reactions: Deafmute and _Duke_
Upvote 0
Actually, i'd rather restart the game than watch you solo 200+ specimens by yourself with the medic gun.

Generally, if the team wipes on one wave and the medic saves them, more often than not the players aren't up to par and they wipe on the wave after that where the medic just saved them. now i have to watch the medic solo another 200 specimens or just find a different server.

Don't die and you don't have that problem. Why should the one guy who lives have to quit the game because you died early? If you don't want to wait until the wave is over then leave the game.

What I think many people are complaining about are the medics that either go off and solo or those that don't pay attention to healing their teammates. If I'm playing a medic, the primary job is to heal. If everyone is green, then I'm shooting.

The problem is many players like to play stupid. They like to fight in front of a spawn point. They like to piss away their armor in the first 30 seconds. they like to stand toe to toe with an entire group of spawned specimens until their health is down to 20 and then they run back to the group. Rather that fire from a place with cover, they would rather fight 3 feet in the middle of the hallway. And those are the people who scream medic when they are the farthest away. Those are also the same people who willingly fight down to 20 health before running back then curse out the medic who didn't "heal them fast enough" when a siren or two popped around the corner.

Reactions: Deafmute and _Duke_
Upvote 0
lol no. When **** hits the fan, they tend to run off on their own rather than die with the rest of the team trying to keep them alive. Then they rambo 100,000,000 specimens on their own for an hour and a half while you have to sit and watch them, after which they probably wont give you any money.

So because Firebug can't tank a FP, that makes them 'the only perk that encourages teamwork'?
If this is the logic you're defending then Commando also fits the bill. They can't tank FP's any better than a Firebug.

And just because you can run off and Rambo as a Medic doesn't disqualify it as a teamwork encouraging perk.
A good team player would only do that after their team is wiping, not before.

Upvote 0
Who the hell tanks fleshpounds?

I was using the term tank as a synonym for dealing with them. If you want to ***** about semantics I guess I should say kill or deal with them, gee so sorry.

The fact is you're trying to say Firebug is the only perk that encourages teamwork without backing that statement up with logic.
If you're talking about Firebug's difficulty in handling FP's, and Scrakes for that matter, Commando struggles similarly. If you're talking more about mechanics, Medics excel at healing the team for teamwork, Support excel at keeping a flank welded, Demolitions can protect teamates with Pipes.

Your argument just doesn't have anything to back it up.
The whole game revolves around teamwork. If anything, you could make the argument that every perk except Sharpshooter encourages teamwork, because there's not much a SS can't handle.

Upvote 0
The fact is you're trying to say Firebug is the only perk that encourages teamwork without backing that statement up with logic.
...huh?
Lv6 medic apparently doesn't, no.
For most medics, self healing climbs in the priority list as soon as your level is maxed and the high survivability often gets abused for other purposes than staying alive to keep the team alive.

Firebugs have the hardest time solo-ing.
In my book, having a hard time to do something on your own encourages not doing it on your own and I guess not doing stuff on your own is the definition of teamwork.

Also

I was using the term tank as a synonym for dealing with them. If you want to ***** about semantics I guess I should say kill or deal with them, gee so sorry.
That's not about semantics, that's like using the term "healing" as a "synonym" for protecting someone.

While we're at semantics, maybe I worded it wrong by saying it's the only perk that encourages teamwork.
It's more like this is the only perk that requires teamwork.

Last edited:
Reactions: _Duke_
Upvote 0
I'm not being snarky; I honestly want to know. How does Commando not require teamwork? How does Support not require teamwork? How does Zerker not require teamwork?
The Firebug encourages teamwork in the sense that he can't stray from the group. If a Firebug wanders-off to solo, he'll get killed the instant he meets a Scrake (or if he's good, then the Flesh Pound will finish him). Not to mention that ammo can get scarce if you end-up having to fend-off an entire 6-man wave with just your Flamethrower.

Meanwhile, all the other perks can be a one-man army. They don't need to lean on anyone else to get anything done. They're all capable of soloing even the hardest of zeds (except Commando vs FP), so there's less encouragement for them to specifically work with the team if they can just as effectively go and solo.

So basically, the Firebug is the only perk that encourages team play because Firebug is the only perk where you might feel helpless without teammates.

Upvote 0
I'm not being snarky; I honestly want to know. How does Commando not require teamwork? How does Support not require teamwork? How does Zerker not require teamwork?
Okay, I'll bite.

They all have an easier time dealing with enemies on their own since they do not rely on damage over time which turns even gorefasts into a threat greater for the firebug than for any other perk (with the exception of chainsaw berserkers. Hurr hurr hurr).
On the other hand, supports and commandos are all-rounders who lack an enemy they're completely screwed against if they just stick to their perk weapons.

As for zerkers, really it should be obvious, they have increased movement speed, they are immune to grabs, they have damage resistances, their main weapon never runs out of ammo, they're basically made for getting out of sticky situations fast and are (arguably) only surpassed in that regard by medics who aren't even screwed if their hp drops to 10.

Even demos are better off since their weapon actually kills stuff right away though demos might just be the second worst solo-perk.

Also stop warping my words into something else, I never said everything else "requires no teamwork".
The firebug requires it is what I say, it's a bonus for all other perks.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Fair enough, but I still don't think Firebug is the only perk that encourages teamwork. Other perks may be better suited to dealing with enemies more quickly but have a hard time soloing more powerful specimens.

Also I didn't "warp your words" in the least. Unless I misunderstood, you literally said "this (Firebug) is the only perk that requires teamwork."

Here, read it again:
While we're at semantics, maybe I worded it wrong by saying it's the only perk that encourages teamwork.
It's more like this is the only perk that requires teamwork.

Edit: disregard the last bit, I'm tired and I misread ^

Last edited:
Upvote 0