• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Easy way to add in heavy machine guns

"Now, problems: weren't most of the heavy mg's + tripod too heavy for one guy to move? The maxim + carriage is like 140 pounds!"

According to wiki mg34/42 with tripod weighs a staggering 42 pounds, I think one guy could shoulder that. No one man could carry a maxim gun, but one guy could probably drag it around on its carriage, but I figured that dragging would require more code or animation work than carrying.

Furthermore the point of my post was to find an EASY way to add mgs, so I cut some corners, adding in deployable tripods that the mg sets up on would be too hard, so we just abstract it and assume that the mg assistant is carrying the tripod, without actually modelling it. As long as we make the mg so it requires 2 men to operate it has the same effect as having it carried in 2 parts, but the way i proposed is less work.

"Also, there's a potential height problem, in that tripods or carriages may be too low to fire out of high windows or bunkers. In reality you'd just take the time to build up a base to raise it up, but you can't in game."

If you didnt catch it in my 1st post, setting up on windows and sandbags would take place exactly the same as current mgs, so walk up to window, see deploy icon, deploy, this is precisely to simulate the fact that you could set up the tripod at different heights.

"Basically I agree to eveything you said, except this part.
Someone's out of your arc of fire, you pick up the tripod (on the back) and reposition it, takes less than 5 seconds. You can even carry it "comfortable" around with a comrade.
Yet this shouldn't be the case anyway, as it has a large arc of fire and the positioning should reflect it.

Additionally changing the direction you want to fire does also take very little time, the more experienced the guy fireing the gun is the faster he will be in rl."

I agree with all this but I was trying to minimize the new code required to implement Hmgs, so I left out moving the tripod around.

"I say add them like they've added the AT guns as they wern't really mobile weapons"

"It may be easier just to put mgs in predefine places like in COD."
"
probably work better as a map placed item like the AT guns."

Please stop saying that we should put in immobile HMGs, stop saying they weren't mobile weapons, you couldn't run around with one like you could a pah pah shah, but a mg34 with tripod weighs only 42 pounds, its certainly a mobile weapon, putting in immobile mgs would suck, because they would be in the same place every time, so the enemy would know exactly where to expect them.

Upvote 0
So the assistant carries the tripod places it wherever. If it's next to a window the sign has to come up before you place it so it's correctly positioned for height and all. Then the gunner places the MG on top.

I think maybe this could be implimented.

you need animations for an assistant placing a tripod and picking it up.

you need animations for a gunner placing the gun on top and taking it off.

you need animations for an assistant running with a tripod (pretty easy just normal running with tripod in one hand).

you need animations for Gunner ducking under and crouching by MG and firing, firing through optics and firing normally (different stance is needed to fit around the tripod).

If this doesn't work make them prepared Mg positions.

Upvote 0
According to wiki mg34/42 with tripod weighs a staggering 42 pounds, I think one guy could shoulder that. No one man could carry a maxim gun, but one guy could probably drag it around on its carriage, but I figured that dragging would require more code or animation work than carrying.

Eh, more like 70 some odd pounds with the standard lafette tripod. Those things were heavy and bulky as hell. This: http://www.bayonetstrength.150m.com/Weapons/heavymachineguns/MG42s.jpg
is what it looks like with the legs collapsed. I think it would look ridiculous to see one guy running around with an MG42+Lafette cradled in his arms. I'd rather see the gun and tripod magically seperate and fold up when it's not deployed, at least that way it would only look strange when it was being set up.

If you didnt catch it in my 1st post, setting up on windows and sandbags would take place exactly the same as current mgs, so walk up to window, see deploy icon, deploy, this is precisely to simulate the fact that you could set up the tripod at different heights.
That works fairly well with the MG42, but not the Russian guns. Maybe just have the tripod/carriage disappear when you stick it on a window/sandbag, so it looks like it's statically mounted?

To all the guys who say that we can actually give the tripod to the second man... it would be nice but I doubt it would happen. Not for lack of teamwork, as I'm sure two guys with VOIP could work together, but it sounds so hard to code and animate. Besides, what happens when one of the guys gets killed? Do you then get to pick up both the mg and tripod? Again sounds like a ton of work. The op's idea makes more sense.

Upvote 0
@Kurtz I doubt it weighs 70 pounds, it looks very similar to the one we were issued (MG74). I'm not sure how much it weight, but it was no problem to carry it around. Yet it was not possible to carry the whole thing alone around - not because it would be too heavy, but it is bulky.

You can carry it relatively easy with two guys for a short distance, for longer distances it is more usefull to carry them seperated and then you can also fire the MG without problems, as you still have the bipod.

@{Cap-Down} You don't need animations, it would just look better with them. But pressing the use-button for a certain amount of time would also work.

Upvote 0
You cannot not have animations. Without animations, it's just a static object in the middle of the screen. It would be impossible to tell if it was deployed or not, or if it was firing, or anything really. Tripwire is a professional company developing a professional game - I very much doubt that if they're going to implement a feature they're going to do it half assed and have no animations for it. That might be acceptable for a mutator, but for a professional game, no.

Upvote 0
It is a decent idea. I would however change some stuff that would require more teamwork:

> The assistant gunner has the tripod and deploys it. the Gunner is the same we have now.

> The other soldiers can give the assistant gunner ammo

Another idea would be, that the gunner can lift the tripod and turn it left/ right with the lean left/ right keys. He will lift the tripod, turn as long as you hold the key and will set it back down again when you loose it.

Would be great if TW would look into such suggestions sometimes.

Upvote 0
You cannot not have animations. Without animations, it's just a static object in the middle of the screen. It would be impossible to tell if it was deployed or not, or if it was firing, or anything really. Tripwire is a professional company developing a professional game - I very much doubt that if they're going to implement a feature they're going to do it half assed and have no animations for it. That might be acceptable for a mutator, but for a professional game, no.
Well the tripod could pop up out of nowhere, like the people exit vehicles now (they pop out of nowhere). And I guess the idea behind this was that a coder could do this relatively easy (?), so that we would not have to wait weeks for a solution provided by TWI.
You'd have a working solution relatively fast, while the finetuning, animating ... would still be done.

@Cuddles I don't know either. But you have to consider that war does not play after your training manuals, you have to be flexible to have a higher surviving chance. So we'd need actual information by the people who used the MG (some diaries ...), maybe I'll find some info in the records of my grandfather, but so far there are no mentions of tripods.
I'm sure if the MGer saw that a lot of people are trying to flank him he would change the position - after warning his comrades - to fight them, if other MGs/whatever could not handle that job.

Upvote 0
I think MG's with tripods moved and also stayed in static positions.

I mean if you were in the atlantic wall you'd have your MG in a concrete bunker but if you were fighting in the bocage you may have a small sandbagged position but may also be forced to move to a crater if enemy threatend your flanks or you were being overun.

It was easy to move with 2-4 men.

Upvote 0