• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Easy way to add in heavy machine guns

I like the idea, but I reckon you have the assistant carry the tripod and deploy it then the gunner plops the gun on.
This was suggested in the mod days and I think this is the best way to add the German GPMGs. The OPs idea is okay but I really don't think having one man carry MG plus tripod is realistic.

The problem with static mgs will always be that the enemy will know their postions even before the round starts and will avoid them, snipe them or spam nades in their direction. Static mgs are kind of pointless.

Upvote 0
This was suggested in the mod days and I think this is the best way to add the German GPMGs. The OPs idea is okay but I really don't think having one man carry MG plus tripod is realistic.
[...]
No it's not really realistic, but it would not make a difference here as you'd run out of ammo in a hurry anway, it's a simplification in order to get it done easily.
So this is meant to implement it as easy as possible, no shiny boohoowoohoo effects.

Upvote 0
"No it's not really realistic, but it would not make a difference here as you'd run out of ammo in a hurry anway, it's a simplification in order to get it done easily.
So this is meant to implement it as easy as possible, no shiny boohoowoohoo effects."

Exactly,

In real life you need atleast two guys to move a hmg, under my plan, you will need 2 guys to move the hmg, because the guy with the gun has no ammo, so in effect it is the same as reality, the only difference is the guy carrying the tripod is abstracted as the assistant, allowing the developers to avoid some tricky coding.

A question: has anyone ever played another game where there is a deployable tripod for hvy mgs?

Upvote 0
If Ramm were up for redoing the base engine code so that the player could move their head independently from their weapon (VERY deep in the engine) then I think this could be viable.

I do like the resupply idea quite a bit though.

One other thought could be that there is another class which is a tripod carrier who carries the tripod and has a secondary weapon, grenades and binoculars, and once the tripod is set up then the normal MGer can come deploy on the tripod. Again, this would take alot of coding and when the tripod carrier died you would get a bunch of random tripods lying around, so it might not actually work so well.

Upvote 0
If Ramm were up for redoing the base engine code so that the player could move their head independently from their weapon (VERY deep in the engine) then I think this could be viable.

I do like the resupply idea quite a bit though.

One other thought could be that there is another class which is a tripod carrier who carries the tripod and has a secondary weapon, grenades and binoculars, and once the tripod is set up then the normal MGer can come deploy on the tripod. Again, this would take alot of coding and when the tripod carrier died you would get a bunch of random tripods lying around, so it might not actually work so well.

this sounds also good. And to avoid the randoom trypods. Just dont let it fall to the ground when trypod carrier dies. But also ... someone could deploy the trypod anywhere after he spawned new, but i dont think so many people will do that.

But i dont see any way to add the trypod in game, without any sacrifice to realism, when there is not a assistand for it. You can carry a trypod and mg around, no doubt. But letz face it, that thing is bulky. And now imagine, a trypod, your gun, 300 ammo belt, + 100 in your gun ? Who will cary that around in a bettle situation, under fire, while attacking ... makes not much sense to me. The player is already acting like hercules, with 3 fausts, mp+ammo, 2 satchels and grenades in his pocket ...

Upvote 0
Well you need two guys to operate the MG here!
Without ammo you can't fire. And that is the main point of this idea. Abstract it as much as possible but still have it realistic somehow (really a great idea imo!). So in fact it would be an improvement to the actual situation as you'd have an MG team (!).

Upvote 0
I just had this revolutionary idea.
Make the tripod model (already fully assembled). Add the MG Assistant class and give a fukk about animations, then you give the Gunner the ability to grab the tripod (or the trolley ;)) so that he can pull it over the battlefield.

And here comes the MG Assistant in he will be able to help to carry the tripod (hmm ... ok you will probalby need a carring animation). While both guys carring the gunner controls BOTH guys. Its the best solution imo and the ways are not to long even this is bit odd. If the gunner deploys the MG everything is back to normal. After the MG is deployed it will act as a static weapon. :cool:

Upvote 0
I used to work on mods for the Close Combat RTS series. In that game, heavy infantry weapons were classed as vehicles. Would it be possible to code Maxim 1910s of Scheweres Heavy MG-34/42s as a small 'vehicle'?
It would have two crew positions, a gunner and a loader, that if one is picked off the other could fire.
You would allow the gunner to move the gun 'vehicle,' at a very slow rate, but when the loader was also present the vehicle would move twice as fast (and the loader would get the 'tripod' in their animation while moving (or help push the carriage)
The same conditions would apply to firing. Without a loader, the gunner would have to pause between belts. With the loader present continuous fire would be possible. The loader would feed in belts and change barrels (secondary fire?), as well as spot.
The gunner would be able to deploy the gun with the 'fix bayonet key.' Then they could use the mouse wheel to switch from, for example, looking around above the gun (still be able to fire), looking through the sights (optics), or ducked under cover (the gunshield on the maxim). The loader should have similar viewpoints with binoculars.
Then you could let anyone man the HMG as acrew, or have a specific class to operate it.

Upvote 0