• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Do you like free-aim when using iron sights?

Do you like free-aim when using iron sights?

• Yes

Votes: 114 84.4%
  • No

Votes: 21 15.6%

• Total voters
I don't see why anyone would like "free-aim".

It's incredibly unrealistic when Aiming Down Sight and you can just imagine yout character-dude drooling on himself while moving the weapon around randomly without actually looking down the sight.

Its like everyone in the game has cerebral palsy. "Realism" ... yeah.

A big NO on the vote for me, lol.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
And what you're not understanding is that you have two eyeballs.... one is your dominate eye which you are focusing on and aiming with, and your other eye (if you keep it open) is what gathers the surrounding area.

Focus on this word:

FLAPJACKS!!!

^ As you focus on this word with both of your eyes open, turn your head slightly to the left and then the right..... does your view remain consistent? Do you not notice that as you turn your head a little bit you gain a bit more information from one side and lose a bit on the other... AND that your focused view does not remain centred???

Now this is focusing on a stationary object while turning your head.... now imagine yourself focusing on a moving object with your head remaining stationary and just move your eyes and following your eyes slightly with a weapon in your hand.

You can do this by sticking your finger up in the air, focusing on it, and then moving it a bit while keeping your head still.

In RO2 you aren't moving your eyeballs while in ADS and moving your mouse. You're moving your gun. You can move your eyeballs, oddly enough, by ACTUALLY MOVING THE EYEBALLS YOU HAVE IN YOUR HEAD. This game is not here to simulate the movement of your eyes, and if you WERE bringing up the sights and glancing to your left or right, you wouldn't MOVE YOUR ENTIRE GUN TO DO SO, nor would you be capable of shooting accurately at something at the same exact moment that you're looking a different direction.

I don't dispute the first part of the above, and it is indeed what RO2 is trying to replicate, especially with the depth of field..... but wildly moving their gun around?

The free aim in iron sights is a difference of an inch or a few CM's before the whole view begins to pan..... again, it's not like the iron sights hit near the edge of your screen before you start to pan your whole view.

You're exaggerating and it's not helping you win this argument.

If your gun moves even a millimeter off center given the fact that depth of field is focused on the tip of the gun, it's breaking with reality. If you're aiming at the end of your gun and your vision ceases to be centered on the object at which you are supposedly aiming, it is being unrealistic. The game is simulating your eyeball looking at one location and you're using your monitor, moving the gun aside, and trying to look at something else. By doing so you are breaking with what was obviously the game's intention.

No, it's not... and if you can't figure it out by now, you never will.

Yes it is, as I've described and you have failed to effectively refute. Depth of field focuses on what you're aiming at. Move your gun to the left of your screen and look to the right of your screen with your eyes and what happens? Depth of field continues to be focused on what the gun is aiming at to the left. It was clearly not intended for what you think it was intended, and it isn't realistic either.

^ And there's your problem with understanding this whole topic of free aim with iron sights.

If you are aiming with only one eye open, then yes.... free aim with iron sights makes no sense because you're giving yourself a Pirate Complex by limiting your view having one eye closed.... if you are used to aiming with both eyes open, such as myself, then it makes perfect sense to have free aim in the game with iron sights up.

I keep both open on skeet and pistols because peripheral vision plays a large role. I close one with my remington 700 and most of the time with rifles because if you're making a shot hundreds of yards away or looking through a scope, it's disorienting to have information coming from your other eye. At any rate, you are aware that you have eyes in your head and a videogame is not supposed to simulate the movement of those eyes, right?

Increasing field of view in this game would be more realistic toward what you're talking about, which is really just peripheral vision. ADS with greater peripheral range, one which more closely mimics what you would be able to see with a rifle isn't a bad thing, but having your gun move independent from the center of your vision in game is a horrendous idea.

And another thing you don't seem to grasp.

Looking without focusing on anything gives you a wider angle of view, but when you decide to focus on a specific object, the details of that object become clearer and more defined. Within RO2, the scale of everything is smaller than it would be in real life in order to fit everything on the screen you would normally see without focusing on something. If you decide to focus on some small target off in the distance in this same view, you're just going to see the same amount of pixels (limitation of the monitor's display) The Focus/Zoom feature is to bring things in that area you are looking at into more of a 1:1 scale in which you would typically see in real life, thus more detail showing (larger) as the surrounding details on your screen diminish.

Look at your weapon being held on screen when you are not focused and tell me that weapon is as large as it would be in real life (It isn't.)

Now when you focus in the game, that weapon in the corner of the screen is far more closer to the size it would be in real life.

Oh, I'm sorry. I wasn't aware that in reality your eyeball operates with a zoom lens. For all you sticklers of realism, it's hilarious to see you explain away an obviously stupid feature by saying it simulates focusing your eyeball, as if the human eye is a freaking telescope. Play in a server with the zoom turned off and see if you're incapable of seeing things 100 meters away. If you can't then you need to get your vision checked, and most shots in this game don't even get over 100 meters. There is no need for it, and it's there to assist bad players, certainly not to add degrees of realism or correct some horrendous limitation of video games which apparently didn't exist in ROOST.

Then don't pretend that you know what's being talked about. That's not meant as an insult at all, but when we're all talking about one thing and you reply with something that's completely different and has either no relation to what's being talked about or just completely misses the mark, then you don't know what's being talked about.

I can't explain it any more simpler than I already have... if you can't figure it out by now, you never will.

Make a custom server with the Action elements of Free Aim in IS off.

Problem solved. :cool:

Here's something which isn't meant as an insult:

You, must like a large portion of this community, are a hypocrite. You profess a love for all things realistic and are supremely confident in the realism and difficulty of this game. You probably refer to people who want an arcade feel as "cod kids" and scoff at their lack of what you perceive to be skill or historical knowledge.

Then when you're presented with something which is not in fact realistic, and plenty of good examples of how it isn't, rather than giving reasonable replies with substantive evidence you fall back on saying "If you don't understand why you're wrong, I guess you never will!"

This is not an acceptable place filler for actual rebuttals. You are the one in fact who cannot stick to a real topic of discussion. You refuse to come to terms with how the game works and what the developers did and instead start pretending that free aim in ADS is supposed to be simulating the ability to move one's eyeballs, and that zoom in ADS- a fact I mentioned just to have a laugh about the lack of realism, is somehow akin to an eye focusing on something at a distance.

I wasn't going to reply due to the utter futility of having an argument with a brick wall, but I didn't want to let that damn brick wall get off easy- a personal failing of my character which has already caused me to waste precious minutes of my life formulating arguments against nothing.

Go ahead, tell yourself you're right. Tell yourself that this game is realistic. Stay within your little world of gaming and be comfortable there. It's all that most of the people in the RO2 community want anyway.

DeltaGun said:
I don't see why anyone would like "free-aim".

It's incredibly unrealistic when Aiming Down Sight and you can just imagine yout character-dude drooling on himself while moving the weapon around randomly without actually looking down the sight.

Its like everyone in the game has cerebral palsy. "Realism" ... yeah.

A big NO on the vote for me, lol.

Palsy? No. They're more like asperger kids who learned everything there is to know about dinosaurs and won't ever shut the **** up about them.

Upvote 0
Palsy? No. They're more like asperger kids who learned everything there is to know about dinosaurs and won't ever shut the **** up about them.

Noo, I'm not saying that RO2 PLAYERS have cerebral palsy, I'm saying that it feels like the RO2 virtual soldiers we play as are from the Special Division, because they have some physical or mental impairment preventing them from moving their face and body with the orientation of the gun.

Upvote 0