• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

developers please confirm or deny a console version.

Have a civilized discussion. I was not aware that consoles were pirated at all. That is new to me. I am only a pc guy. I can remember back to the days of the Commodore 64. I was a young lad then and I used to pirate games back then. The older I get the more I realize that the more stuff is pirated the less of what people want will come out. That is the point I was trying to make. I am amazed at some of the people here that have so many posts but seem to want to argue all the time. You can flag my post that you do not like it. I laugh at this...:)

We've had this discussion dozens of time on this forum, pre 2005 and post.
I used to copy tape to tape on my old Spectrum like nobodies business, I've played pirated PC games, hacked consoles, emulated games - whatever. Been there. Done that.
I see what you're saying but are you seriously saying never knew console games were never pirated? How can you judge an industry you only have one view of?

Piracy does not put off developers from developing PC games, it is an excuse commonly placed for justification of a shift of focus - aggressive DRM puts PC players off paying money for a game with inherent runtime issues they can avoid by breaking the law with no consequence. Not to mention the whole psychological issue. This issue is amplified when you look at older games that you cannot run these days without cracked .exe's.

I (and lots of like minded folk) will not pay full price for a game with aggressive DRM, limited installs etc because of the insinuation I am likely to pirate the game - be it the original Mass Effect, BioShock...whatever - I shouldn't have to limit myself (I paid for the ***king thing - and I'm the one up **** creek?) when those who choose to acquire the game illegally have no such limitation because of a few hours work by some semi-talented individuals.
Johnny the pirate can install the game countless times on countless PC's with little or no effort or hassle?
Please.

You can't honeslty think that PC devs switch to console development because they're losing sales due to piracy. Pick a game, big budget, particularly well marketed or not - go and search ISOhunt or any torrent site at least a few weeks before release (console or PC) I guarantee you will be able to download the game. You could probably argue reasonably well that low budget, low publicity games are far easier to protect than those with a massive profile.

"the more stuff is pirated the less of what people want will come out"
This doesn't justify any shift in development focus, honestly - Gears of War 2 (developed my Epic, a PC dev originally) is a good example as it hit warez at least 3 weeks before release. You can bet your arse GoW3 will be pretty damn similar to GoW or GoW2...Unreal Tournament (also developed by Epic) was phenomenally successful, critically acclaimed, and sold massively - and had no DRM to speak of at all. I could have pirated the thing like no-ones business and yet I own 3 different copies.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I don't mind FPS games on a console, but with RO it might be a bit too hard to aim. With the free aiming and realism. Besides, I doubt the whole realism aspect of the game will be very appealing to the average console player. Which means that we'll just see arcade servers only.

Consoles fps games have aim assist for players...

Reactions: Stormer
Upvote 0
I see your points and I appreciate the knowledge that you have stated. How do/can companies ensure that things will not be pirated? Is it a total lost cause?

(Can't tell if you're being funny there)

Quite simply, you can't. Even with DRM's, digital delivery (steam etc) piracy is still common. If people want to get something illegally, they'll get it.

The harder you push them - the harder they'll push back.

It's a fundamental problem, and down to the mentality of your market.

If publishers really want less piracy, release more demo's (preferably ones that are longer than 10 minutes), make DRM simple and non intrusive, lower the price of digital distribution (it bypasses the publisher so why does it cost the same as a retail package?), and price things reasonably (CoD4:MW was full price for 2 years after it's release - 2 years!!!)

As for RO on a console (as we're getting off topic) I imagine it'll be difficult to keep RO's charms intact. On the PC Red Orchestra is (and HOES I imagine will be) an outstanding FPS, but it may lose it's better qualities when it is "streamlined" for a gamepad.

But if any company could do it, I'd like to think TWI could.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Have a civilized discussion. I was not aware that consoles were pirated at all. That is new to me. I am only a pc guy. I can remember back to the days of the Commodore 64. I was a young lad then and I used to pirate games back then. The older I get the more I realize that the more stuff is pirated the less of what people want will come out. That is the point I was trying to make. I am amazed at some of the people here that have so many posts but seem to want to argue all the time. You can flag my post that you do not like it. I laugh at this...:)

The RO community is pretty hostile. No wonder why there are so few post for a much inticpateted game. Even for OFP: DR at this time of development (late alpha) had hundreds of post per day.

What do you expect when there are no mods like W0LL3 from BIS to handle people with the name of "Elitist Pricks."

I much rather stick with the DH community or BIS community to get my RO news.

Upvote 0
The RO community is pretty hostile. No wonder why there are so few post for a much inticpateted game. Even for OFP: DR at this time of development (late alpha) had hundreds of post per day.

What do you expect when there are no mods like W0LL3 from BIS to handle people with the name of "Elitist Pricks."

Maybe you ought to check the membership list of the Elitist Prick Club before you start mouthing off too much more about them.

Seriously.

Reactions: SheepDip and Moyako
Upvote 0
It wasn't meant to be a hostile response to HerrPorsche, it is a little aggressive (I like to think passionate...but hey, don't drink and post!) - but it wasn't directed at him personally. So I'm sorry if he took offense.

"The elitist prick club" isn't serious - I've been a member for years but only recently put it in my sig/location, because I updated it.

Look at who is in the thing, they're like minded and usually opinionated members (usually quite old members with high post counts), including a few moderators...and the group description is

Here's a club where we rejoice the fact that we have demonstrated beyond the least shadow of a doubt that we HAVE NO LIFE *official*

We intend to celebrate and embrace with both arms the fact that we really should get out more.
I haven't broken any forum rules, I received no infraction - so how exactly would a mod "handle me"?

As for the community being hostile, I don't think so - if someone comes and posts a good suggestion, asks a simple question or for advice then they'll get a reasonable reasponse. Like Kratiers "3 questions" thread...

This community is very old, in terms of the playerbase and the forum (not including the switch in '05) itself - and in all honesty we've probably discussed most things new members think of dozens of times - so we already have an opinion on it, and probably a strong one.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Your trolling doesn't help either to be honest.
An there are a lot of posts per day, problem is that most of these posts are in topics such as the "Mkb in stalingrad" one.

Upvote 0

Yeah. Posts like the one referenced here ([URL="http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showpost.php?p=624695&postcount=5"][URL="http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showpost.php?p=624695&postcount=5"][URL="http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showpost.php?p=624695&postcount=5"][URL="http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showpost.php?p=624695&postcount=5"][URL="http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showpost.php?p=624695&postcount=5"][URL="http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showpost.php?p=624695&postcount=5"][url]http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showpost.php?p=624695&postcount=5[/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL]) definitely don't help the RO forum image.
What do expect when there are no mods like WOLL3 from BIS (whatever that is?) to handle people who post pics like this when a new guy asks a legitimate question.

xeo8c4.jpg

Ah, but here I am trolling (again) :eek:. I must stop

Upvote 0
Look, I'm a business major. I understand the ethos....

But I don't work for those companies... and I could care less if they sink or swim.

I won't buy games from Developers that make the Modern Warfare, Battlefield, Medal of honor.. and all that ****. They are monsters. My money will go to tripwire... unless they become like those companies. I'm not saying any developer that makes a console game won't be cool. I am just saying, I like PC games first and foremost. Consoles are prolly here to stay (regrettably) So I buy the games I want years later... like Star Wars the Force Unleashed, and Bio shock.

But seriously.. Look on steam at how much Modern warfare2 is to buy. It's still 59.99 bloody dollars. It has been almost a year, and they are still trying to ask THAT much for that game? lol. I am planning on pirating it JUST ON PRINCIPLE because of that.

Call of Duty World at War is still 30 bucks, damn game is 2 years old.

Just bs to me. That is the kinda business tactics that justify, in my eyes, the illegal piracy gimmick.

i'm saying that it's very easy for tripwire to go over to the dark side, so to speak.

and yes, i never bought into the whole modern warfare 60 dollars, dlc stuff either. but most people will judging by their sales figures.

Reactions: Hans Ludwig
Upvote 0
Sorry guys I did not mean to cause a spat here. Like I said I am an old pc guy that started on the Commodore 64. The entire computer was 64K and then it went to 128K. If anyone is old enough to remember that then we understand how far gaming has come. I do appreciate the forums and the knowledge presented. I stayed out of the forums for the most part during the mod days. I used to participate quit a bit on the forums a year or so before the mod was even out. I know we are all passionate with this game because for me it is my most realistic FPS shooter. They have taken FPS games to a whole new level. I am excited for what I see in HOS and had to start participating. "Can't we all get along?" :)

Cheers guys...

Upvote 0
i'm saying that it's very easy for tripwire to go over to the dark side, so to speak.
Even though we all love the TWI devs and all, I agree that this should be a fear for any fan of RO. I've seen countless times over the years where a relatively small and innovative team eventually becomes popular and destroys heir own product, largely due to their own successes. This has happened alot lately, specifically with PC developers who turned to consoles and totally forgot where they came from.

I'm not saying it's necessarily inevitable, but something TWI needs to be careful with -- especially after RO2 releases.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Report: U.S. Game Sales Down 10% in August to $818.9 Million

Authored by Mark Hefflinger on September 10, 2010 - 7:10am.

Port Washington, N.Y. - U.S. video game sales continued to slump in August, down 10% from a year ago in the worst August the industry has seen since 2006, according to a report from market research firm NPD Group. Overall sales in August were $818.9 million, down from $910.3 million a year ago. Hardware sales were down 5%, to $282.9 million, as Microsoft's (NASD: MSFT) Xbox 360 led console sales for the third consecutive month with 356.7 million units.

The Nintendo Wii sold 244,300 units -- its lowest figure since launch -- while Sony (NYSE: SNE) sold 226,000 PlayStation 3s.

On the portable side, sales of Nintendo's portable DS were 342,700 in August, and Sony's PSP sold 79,400 units.

"While all categories are down in both dollars and units, the portable portion of the industry is down to a greater extent than is the console portion," noted NPD analyst Anita Frazier.

"Portable dollar sales across hardware, software and accessories is down 25% versus last August, while console dollar sales are down 6%."

Game software sales were down 14% in August, to $403.5 million, with Electronic Arts' (NASD: ERTS) "Madden NFL 11" figuring as the top seller.

While Take-Two Interactive's "Mafia II" also made a strong showing, NPD said that if it took PC game sales into account in its figures, Blizzard's "Starcraft II: Wings of Liberty" would have been the second best-selling game of the month.
Related Links:
[url]http://www.npd.com
[/URL]

Upvote 0