• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Commissar's House

I have played this map alot only time I seen it beaten as the Russians was during a clan match with 2 fairly equal teams.On public servers it usually ends up a russian turkey shoot for the germans.Teamwork is key on these type maps and when the russians is lacking that its really hard.

On hard maps like these and apartments for the Germans you have to attack them like this \/
earl-o.gif

Earl Campbell?

Upvote 0
Which is most of time. I decided to go tanking, ran around the corner, got hit by 3 At rifle shells, 1 PzIV shell, and my tank was done. Also all these things hit me in the front plating. I think TWI haven't really balanced it out, it seems very weak compared to PzIV, other than speed. I thought it was supposed to have better armor? So far, it's garbage in my opinion.
The distances are so close that armour is irrelevant tank-to-tank. The guns fire armour penetrating projectiles that penetrate through the whole tank from front to back at times. Don't worry about having to face the armour a certain way and that sort of thing, it will only get you killed. It is all about hitting something vital. Ammo storage bins are the ones that make the whole thing explode into flames when hit, so aim for those whenever possible.

The AT rifles however do have major problems with (most of) the armour from various angles and stuff like that. Face the front towards them if you can. And keep your distance whenever possible, as their rifles lose a lot of that little power they have within a short range flight.

The situation you describe is probably the tank gun that killed you. It did it because it saw you first and aimed well. Try driving more sideways past some cover and stopping to have a peek, and immediately reversing back if you see any tanks turning their turrets toward you. More often than not, you'll catch them shooting at infantry or the other T-34. Then do the best shot you can at the ammo storage bins of the tank and fire. As soon as you see the turret turn towards you, reverse back into cover. Sometimes it won't turn towards you because the gunner was killed, or the gunner didn't notice or think it was important enough to engage you.

Shoot & scoot. Catch them with their pants down.

EDIT: Basically, don't engage in any slugfests in a T-34. ALWAYS disengage when a P4 is targeting you. Feel free to try to snapshot it while reversing - often that snapshot can be enough.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
alright, I'll give it a try next time, but I'm surprised how little hits it took to die. I've shot at a t-34 at least 4 times in the side, area between the turret and chassis, but, 1 shell, and 3 AT rounds really surprised me. BTW is there commands for the crew members of the tank, so I can tell my driver to move, if I'm gunning?

Upvote 0
It would permit taking advantage of the T-34's awesome speed (How fast is it really vs the PIV? Should do a drag race test sometime).

In the game, the PIV seems to have a faster acceleration, while the T34 has a higher top speed. So the T34 only has a speed advantage if it's been moving straight for a period of time. However, on a map like Commissar's House, speed doesn't play a factor due to the size of the map.

Upvote 0
By the way, I hope Red October Factory is next on the agenda :D

http://i54.tinypic.com/sl205h.jpg

If I move back just a little bit, the T-34 can't even shoot me unless he drives almost to the top of the hill, which exposes him to engineers, PTRS guys on the flank, and his supple side armor to my gun. So basically I sat there eating chips while my AI gunner was racking up kills, occasionally moving my turret to deal with some guy bouncing PTRS rounds off of me.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
the Pz4 is much better than the T34
dont believe the tells you hear
200 kills in tanks 70% to 75% in a Pz4
1 or 2 shot and a t34 burns
even a German AT can take out a t34 on Fallen Heroes from the German spawn
As for this map there some nice spots where you can cook off T34s with no problems with the German AT
On Commissars house the t34s cant hardly move out of their spawn
If you want to try out the German AT this is a good map to try it on

Upvote 0
We're rolling out balance updates for Commissar's House and Pavlov's House. If it turns out they're not enough we'll continue to make changes.

Also, stop exaggerating. Allies have been winning on the map. It might difficult but to say they never have is absolutely false. Saying bull**** like that causes you to lose credibility for any future feedback you might have. If you have nothing useful to say then obviously no one is going to listen you.

OK never i have to give you that
Germans wins only 99%

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The three main changes I would....

-Move the Water Plant back from the allied spawn at least 50m

-Add cover and sandbags all around the allied base, so at least russians can get out of the building and stay unseen, instead of being immediately shot.

-Add tank traps on the main road and perhaps add a piece of cover to obscure full view of the Russian spawn door ways. The Panzer can sit basically at any point between A and the back of the Commissar's House and drop HE rounds into the spawn. That crap has got to stop. If they get an angle on the Russian spawn building, they should have to work for it. They should literally not be able to hop into the tank, pull to the main road and score dozens of infantry kills at 300m.

Frankly, I'd be ok if a redesign pushed ALL the tanks toward the park where they're best suited to fight each other, leaving the rest of the map for infantry to deal with.

This map is actually really fun, when the Russian team has a prayer. The only time I've seen the Allies succeed on this map is when they push A aggressively and immediately as soon as the game starts.

Upvote 0
I didn't read your previous post, but I like this idea of breaking up the zones into two sections (after church and before town hall). It would cut down on the hide-and-seek.

I am not sure I would change anything. Spartanikova is all about the last stand. Think of it as a fighting retreat until that last chunk of real estate. If the Allies can mount any kind of spirited defense, the Germans will more often than not blow their brains out trying to take it. Using MG's and proper overwatch, the flanks can be easily secured while head-on assaults across no-man's land will bleed German reinforcements quickly.

wrt Commissar's House and Pavlov's House, I think it would be interesting to see how the maps would play with half-tracks and clown cars.

Upvote 0
alright, I'll give it a try next time, but I'm surprised how little hits it took to die. I've shot at a t-34 at least 4 times in the side, area between the turret and chassis, but, 1 shell, and 3 AT rounds really surprised me. BTW is there commands for the crew members of the tank, so I can tell my driver to move, if I'm gunning?
This conversation should probably head over to that big tank topic that just spawned. :) In fact, I wrote so much I'm going to post my reply there instead and paste the link for you here.

http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showpost.php?p=895203&postcount=36

In the game, the PIV seems to have a faster acceleration, while the T34 has a higher top speed. So the T34 only has a speed advantage if it's been moving straight for a period of time. However, on a map like Commissar's House, speed doesn't play a factor due to the size of the map.
Are you sure? Speed always matters to me, and in that map there are big open spaces to drive across. Driving from cover to cover (dangerous to be out in the open), or intercepting those pesky german firing squad line in the beginning of a round. The lack of speed kills. :)

I'm going to have to try out the P4 to get a feel for how they differ from each other. If anyone find the relevant specs for speed etc, post them.

By the way, I hope Red October Factory is next on the agenda :D

[url]http://i54.tinypic.com/sl205h.jpg[/URL]

If I move back just a little bit, the T-34 can't even shoot me unless he drives almost to the top of the hill, which exposes him to engineers, PTRS guys on the flank, and his supple side armor to my gun. So basically I sat there eating chips while my AI gunner was racking up kills, occasionally moving my turret to deal with some guy bouncing PTRS rounds off of me.
What about Allied AT infantry, engineers, smoke grenades, artillery etc? Ever since I took over the T-34 duties I feel like the allied team never fails at the first objective anymore. I don't know what went on when I played as riflemen etc.. was hard though.

the Pz4 is much better than the T34
dont believe the tells you hear
200 kills in tanks 70% to 75% in a Pz4
1 or 2 shot and a t34 burns
even a German AT can take out a t34 on Fallen Heroes from the German spawn
As for this map there some nice spots where you can cook off T34s with no problems with the German AT
On Commissars house the t34s cant hardly move out of their spawn
If you want to try out the German AT this is a good map to try it on
I don't know really... But for sure, if one uses things to their advantage and play down their disadvantage, one prevails. I try to make sure P4's can't even shoot at me to begin with and manage to one shot them from all kinds of situations, so it doesn't feel anywhere as unfair as it did at first. I feel even a bit sorry for their crews sometimes when they keep blowing up on the first (or second) shot over and over.

But for sure, slugfests seem to go the way of the P4. Don't do it.

Upvote 0
Comissar's house is one of my favourite maps as Soviets. It is however a very tough map on public servers. I am a very ruthless Soviet tanker, I ignore the enemy tanks and go for soft targets. Against adequately skilled Germans it is possible to push along the left flank and create brutal kill zones that massacre the German infantry. Unless they have clever AT gunners or tankers of their own it can be very hard stopping Soviet infantry backed up by a single tank as they make a long sweeping capture of all objectives up to the infirmary.

On public servers I find myself on the next objective shouting at my mates to move up and never stop for anything, I have the objective covered, all I need is two or three infantrymen to push into the house and it is ours. A single smoke grenade and a tank is everything you need to steamroll this map as the Soviets, but public players lack the aggression to advance past the first house (which provides excellent fields of fire for rifles). I make sure to compliment people who keep pushing, I work hard to dodge enemy tanks and AT grenades, I'd like it pay off more often than not. Sometimes I'm driving circles for several minutes without ever having a team mate move up to help cap, even if there are only 2-3 German defenders.

This map is nearly impossible against even moderately skilled Germans if you don't have a good tanker. Without the tank, you have no way of surpressing the defenders and it turns into a turkey shoot even with coordinated smoke launches. It is the most combined arms-reliant map currently in the game, soviet tanks need to kill enemy infantry, so soviet AT gunners need to be bringing their a-game. With such large distances there is no room for slowpokes, you can only kill Germans as fast as they can respawn so it is best you are within the cap zone when you do kill them or else it was a wasted bullet.

Upvote 0
What about Allied AT infantry, engineers, smoke grenades, artillery etc? Ever since I took over the T-34 duties I feel like the allied team never fails at the first objective anymore. I don't know what went on when I played as riflemen etc.. was hard though.

AT rifles just bounced a few times until I HE'd them. AI gunner can see through smoke, no Engineers get close enough land AT nades. Allied commander already spent his arty.

This isnt all happening in a vacuum, though. All those guys have to worry about the other 31 guys on my team blowing them away from a vastly superior defensive position, including German artillery in their open field.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The three main changes I would....

-Move the Water Plant back from the allied spawn at least 50m

-Add cover and sandbags all around the allied base, so at least russians can get out of the building and stay unseen, instead of being immediately shot.

-Add tank traps on the main road and perhaps add a piece of cover to obscure full view of the Russian spawn door ways. The Panzer can sit basically at any point between A and the back of the Commissar's House and drop HE rounds into the spawn. That crap has got to stop. If they get an angle on the Russian spawn building, they should have to work for it. They should literally not be able to hop into the tank, pull to the main road and score dozens of infantry kills at 300m.

Frankly, I'd be ok if a redesign pushed ALL the tanks toward the park where they're best suited to fight each other, leaving the rest of the map for infantry to deal with.

This map is actually really fun, when the Russian team has a prayer. The only time I've seen the Allies succeed on this map is when they push A aggressively and immediately as soon as the game starts.

Yea, the only chance the soviets will get is if they zerg rush the hell out of that middle building, and get guys into the top floor, the push back down and out towards the Germans. However if a single german gets to a window he can unload his MP40 into 2-5 Ruskies trying to climb in the same window at the same time. So far out of 15+ games, Ruskies have 1 once, and gotten past the first set of objectives 3 times, including that victory. That definitely tells something about map balance. I understand, that Stalingrad was an extremely bloody battle, but when I'm trying to play a game, meant for entertainment, and I'm getting spawn killed over and over, and I'm not having fun, it completely ruins the point of the game.

Upvote 0
Are you sure? Speed always matters to me, and in that map there are big open spaces to drive across. Driving from cover to cover (dangerous to be out in the open), or intercepting those pesky german firing squad line in the beginning of a round. The lack of speed kills. :)

Lack of speed only kills on Gumrak, where the T34's speed can really be felt. Park North on Commissar's House isn't wide enough to support the T34's speed, and it's a extremely bad idea to try to use the road near Park North as a speed strip to flank any PIVs in the field at Park North. Plus add the fact that the only cover viable for the T34 is a small wall that barely covers the tracks.

Upvote 0
Funny, I actually like the map and always play as russians. Sure the're is a certain amount of imbalance for russians, but i like the difficulty in playing them. Isn't this what RO is about, a challenge?

Then again i havn't touched the game the past few days because my performance is so bad...

The first run on the map reminds me of Danzig from the first RO, it can get very hard to win if you don't cap the first point at the first charge.

People make mistakes a russians also everyone seems to try to run accros the same death alley everytime instead of looking for flanks, going around. Sure you loose a little time put if pulled of correctly its rewarding.

I don't know the map can be interesting as it is, i guess some more teamwork is required though.

Upvote 0
Related:

Commissar's House
-Gave Allies 40 more reinforcements
-Default Allied spawn in more directly in line with Building 81
-Moved one of the initial Axis spawns back further from the Water Refinery
-Increased spawn protection and no artillery volumes for Allies
-Various cover fixes

The one of most interest to me is:
-Default Allied spawn in more directly in line with Building 81

We'll see if this really does the trick, it very well may.

Upvote 0