• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] Battlefield 3

Why? this is still getting published by EA is it not? and mod support has been strictly verboten by EA last i heard, so unless they have annouced a change of policy recently that i'm not aware of, then i woulden't count on it..

I'm pretty sure it will. The official site even has a section for mods, with an email to get your mod added to the list on the main page.

Reactions: echutter
Upvote 0
Not releasing SDKs and saying modding of any kind is "verboten" are two very different things and the latter could be much more far-reaching. For example if they said they didn't want modding in future games either, with some shady reasoning behind it. That reasoning and the exact context in which they allegedly said modding is "verboten" would be interesting indeed. So if you have a source, please post it.

Upvote 0
LOL yeah, if anything the gap has widened exponentially between what consoles and PCs can do. What year is this guy living in?

hang on, you're talking about what can be done not what is being done- right? In the context of games?
So you mean the games capability of modern PC's is far greater - relative to contempory consoles - than it was say 5,10,15 years ago?

Upvote 0
Not releasing SDKs and saying modding of any kind is "verboten" are two very different things and the latter could be much more far-reaching. For example if they said they didn't want modding in future games either, with some shady reasoning behind it. That reasoning and the exact context in which they allegedly said modding is "verboten" would be interesting indeed. So if you have a source, please post it.

I was just beeing facetious with the whole "verboten" thing, but i might not have made that clear enough.

But EA clearly doesen't put much stock in the modding scene, just think how many titles they have released using the UE3 engine, and how easy it would be to include UED with such a game, but how many of them have had it?

So yeah, i do belive that disallowing modding is not just an oversight on their behalf, but part of their buisness plan, else, there would be no good reason why a game like Mirrors Edge, for instance, woulden't have had the full editor right out the box.

Upvote 0
Disallowing modding is only buisness and money matter. For example for CoD 4 game there were many custom maps and mods, so customers didn't get bored after first month with stock maps only. With MW2 and only couple multiplayer maps game gets boring after this time and only way to get something new to the game is pay 15 euro for IW stuff (which could be done by modders for free...).

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I'm pretty sure it will. The official site even has a section for mods, with an email to get your mod added to the list on the main page.
Are you referring to THIS main page?

http://enterbf3.com/

"Mods" is indeed listed, but this isn't the official Battlefield 3 website. There isn't one yet. Well, maybe one goes up tomorrow.

Upvote 0
Well looks like it's confirmed that it's going to be modern again:

gami_215_front.jpg

Upvote 0
Why does the cover have to be so cliche?

And if it has anything to do with the middle east, or russia, I'm going to throw a shoe.

Yeah almost identical to:

bad_company_2_cover.jpg

Although this art could just be Game Informer's and not official in any way.

I wouldn't mind having it set in the middle east again. I just hope Russia or China or some lame fictional scenario isn't included.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yeah almost identical to:

bad_company_2_cover.jpg

Although this art could just be Game Informer's and not official in any way.

I wouldn't mind having it set in the middle east again. I just hope Russia or China or some lame fictional scenario isn't included.
I hope their actual art doesnt' look like that. Not that I really care -- I know it in my bones that BF3 is going to be a let down, as far as being a real sequel to BF2. It's practically unavoidable as far as I can see ...

Upvote 0