• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] ArmA 3, for real

lol.. so much negativity, seems most of you keep forgetting or arent aware that BIS is a small dev studio and the game is very complex, arma 2 was completely broken when it came out and still i bought it and have been playing it for 2 years, i usually get bored of most games in 1 or 2 weeks so for me that says alot, patches pretty much fixed the whole game, arma 3 looks superb for such an early build and much, much better than arma 2, if you disagree maybe you just have unrealistic expectations, or, in Reddog's case, you are simply blind and a very bad troll :rolleyes:

Sure, arma series are FAR from perfect, but there's nothing else like it.

BIS is one of the few true PC dev studios left that still cares about their community, much like TWI, just for that i'd buy anything they release.
OK you enjoy ArmA cool good for you, that does not in any way shape or form change the fact that all of the criticisms of the series posted by the likes of Rak and Murphy are relevant.

Personally I've been burned too many times by BIS to have anything but cynicism about this game. I'm sorry if decent performance, coherent gameplay and a proper single player campaign are 'unrealistic expectations'.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OK you enjoy ArmA cool good for you, that does not in any way shape or form change the fact that all of the criticisms of the series posted by the likes of Rak and Murphy are relevant.

Personally I've been burned too many times by BIS to have anything but cynicism about this game. I'm sorry if decent performance, coherent gameplay and a proper single player campaign are 'unrealistic expectations'.

Never said some of the criticism wasnt valid, but honestly, yours not really, my oldie E8400 runs arma 2 without any issues, i dont find the gameplay incoherent, its actually great for a realistic shooter and while its true the game was released with a broken campaign i never cared about that, if i wanted to play singleplayer i'd have 55436623 other games to choose from, what makes the game worth buying is the multiplayer, which has always been playable

I hate when people release completely broken games but in arma 2 case it just was worth it, there just isnt any game like it and BIS did a great job at fixing the game by releasing beta patches almost every day for the last 2 years, if arma 3 also comes out broken i'll still buy it, simply because i know that after a couple of patches the game will be pure awesomeness.

Hopefully i wont get bored of RO2 before arma 3 comes out, so far there rly isnt any other shooter that could keep me playing for so long :(

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Its true arma can be one of the most frutrating games ever, the feeling when everything goes to hell (mission bugging, ai shoots u from 1km distance multiple times in a row etc.) but on the other hand it can be the most rewarding thing ever (hot helicopter evac when u and your teammates barely escape after completing the objective and sitting on the chopper looking at the scenery for that long ride back to base)

i understand all the negative comments, but its still roughly a year before release and they wi

Upvote 0
That is because we all felt the same regarding ArmA 1 to 2. :p

The improved editor is really good news for me. I just hope they change some of my other issues. 3D scopes, better grenade throwing, and making the fire mode selector separate from the grenade selecting menu would be great. We'll see if these changes are made as more media is released...

We all felt that with OFP: CWC. The only redeeming value OFP had was the multiplayer and epic tank battles you could have. That pretty much all went down the drain with Arma1/2/OA.

I hope they

Last edited:
Upvote 0
i dunno, i really don't see any faults in the OFP/ARMA games - not cos of any love for poor old BIS (they do alright), but because they're the only games that offer me anything like that experience and scope - i love it so much i'm blind to any technical faults.

it basically boils to how much you truly want to play this kind of game, cos as it stands, Arma is it.

That said, not sure about the future war thing in III. I'd rather they worked their way back in time.

Reactions: Stormer
Upvote 0
Its true arma can be one of the most frutrating games ever, the feeling when everything goes to hell (mission bugging, ai shoots u from 1km distance multiple times in a row etc.) but on the other hand it can be the most rewarding thing ever (hot helicopter evac when u and your teammates barely escape after completing the objective and sitting on the chopper looking at the scenery for that long ride back to base)

I understand you, and feel exactly the same.

It's just that the time that passes between each of the highlights is UNACCEPTABLE for a full-price retail game. Releasing a product that was broken and essentially completed by the community that paid money for it is dispicably fraudulent corporate behaviour.

Upvote 0
I'm sorry if decent performance, coherent gameplay and a proper single player campaign are 'unrealistic expectations'.

This. I actually enjoyed ArmA 1's campaign. It worked and I had fun. ArmA 2's was awful. OA was decent.

All I really want is for the game to be polished and fine tuned. I would rather have less but nicely done weapons and vehicles. Add in many of RO2's movement/player control features such as ducking when a weapon is deployed would make the game feel far more fluid.

Upgrades like this are far more appealing to me than an FN 2000. ;)

I hope they do well and really upgrade the core game this time around. Make it work rather well on release to. Extra content (guns, vehicles, whatever) can be released as DLC like the PMC/BAF for Arma 2.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
come to think of it one thing that does do my nut in Arma is the texture swapping- when you hide cos you think you are pinned by a t72, and cautiously make you way up to it and only to see the destroyed model swap over and realise you have been wasting your time.
The engine seems to get confused over it's model LOD distance too - like the square wheels you see initially even though they are close - i hope they sort it out.

Upvote 0
come to think of it one thing that does do my nut in Arma is the texture swapping- when you hide cos you think you are pinned by a t72, and cautiously make you way up to it and only to see the destroyed model swap over and realise you have been wasting your time.
The engine seems to get confused over it's model LOD distance too - like the square wheels you see initially even though they are close - i hope they sort it out.

This is an issue as well. That being said, it worked nicely for me in ArmA 2. When I got ACE, there is often a tank burning and it magically turns into a damaged model. With the default game there was a large explosion and a lot of debris before the model swapped into the destroyed model LOD.

...or the latest patch broke it.

Upvote 0
Never said some of the criticism wasnt valid, but honestly, yours not really, my oldie E8400 runs arma 2 without any issues, i dont find the gameplay incoherent, its actually great for a realistic shooter and while its true the game was released with a broken campaign i never cared about that, if i wanted to play singleplayer i'd have 55436623 other games to choose from, what makes the game worth buying is the multiplayer, which has always been playable

I hate when people release completely broken games but in arma 2 case it just was worth it, there just isnt any game like it and BIS did a great job at fixing the game by releasing beta patches almost every day for the last 2 years, if arma 3 also comes out broken i'll still buy it, simply because i know that after a couple of patches the game will be pure awesomeness.

Hopefully i wont get bored of RO2 before arma 3 comes out, so far there rly isnt any other shooter that could keep me playing for so long :(
Your logic is essentially, "Yeah the game has **** single player and is broken but I don't care I love it!!!". You may not care at all about single player but a lot of people do, therefore it is a valid concern. Also when they market a game as having a good single player experience then either deliver a horribly broken one (Arma), or so lazy it's non-existant one (Arma 2), then there is a major concern there.

Honestly it boggles my mind how BIS fans have this sort of insane stockholm syndrome going on. BIS can shovel out a broken piece of software that needs a year or more of patching and community made mods before you can call it a complete game. In response to this their fans basically fellate them for it.

As Roland said above, "Releasing a product that was broken and essentially completed by the community that paid money for it is dispicably fraudulent corporate behaviour".

I agree 100% with this statement and it is the sad truth about BIS these days. They were groundbreaking with OFP:CWC and RES but now they just cruise on the coattails of their previous success and release buggy, broken pos games.

I'm happy your old computer runs Arma II well, that's great mine does now as well. However it was not until ~7 months after the game was out that they finally got the performance to an acceptable level, which is just not good enough in my book. Despite this the engine itself still has one massive problem in the fact that it cannot utilise over 2GB of RAM. This results in the ridiculous situation where on a machine with 8GB of RAM the game only uses 1/4 of it and then starts loading assests into page file memory on your HDD, which is incredibly slower than using RAM. This right here is the source of the majority of the engines performance problems (and the reason it runs so much better if you install it on an SSD).

Call me a cynical bastard but I'll put a tenner on this issue still being prevalent in Arma III, hell I bet that even with a machine exceeding the recommended specs the game is going to run like a **** on release.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dcode and Roland777
Upvote 0
lol.. so much negativity

It's called valid criticism even when it makes your feelings hurt and may involve indirect insult or two to your beloved God.

(This comes from a dude who still spends hours in OFP:CWC in coop at times and these days got a marriage with ArmA2 editor, so saying I am hater is just a good way to make yourself look even more ridiculous. I sign most of the complaints people have voiced out there even when I don't find them as irritating due such long history of getting used to quirkyness.)

Upvote 0
Your logic is essentially, "Yeah the game has **** single player and is broken but I don't care I love it!!!". You may not care at all about single player but a lot of people do, therefore it is a valid concern. Also when they market a game as having a good single player experience then either deliver a horribly broken one (Arma), or so lazy it's non-existant one (Arma 2), then there is a major concern there.

Honestly it boggles my mind how BIS fans have this sort of insane stockholm syndrome going on. BIS can shovel out a broken piece of software that needs a year or more of patching and community made mods before you can call it a complete game. In response to this their fans basically fellate them for it.

As Roland said above, "Releasing a product that was broken and essentially completed by the community that paid money for it is dispicably fraudulent corporate behaviour".

I agree 100% with this statement and it is the sad truth about BIS these days. They were groundbreaking with OFP:CWC and RES but now they just cruise on the coattails of their previous success and release buggy, broken pos games.

I'm happy your old computer runs Arma II well, that's great mine does now as well. However it was not until ~7 months after the game was out that they finally got the performance to an acceptable level, which is just not good enough in my book. Despite this the engine itself still has one massive problem in the fact that it cannot utilise over 2GB of RAM. This results in the ridiculous situation where on a machine with 8GB of RAM the game only uses 1/4 of it and then starts loading assests into page file memory on your HDD, which is incredibly slower than using RAM. This right here is the source of the majority of the engines performance problems (and the reason it runs so much better if you install it on an SSD).

Call me a cynical bastard but I'll put a tenner on this issue still being prevalent in Arma III, hell I bet that even with a machine exceeding the recommended specs the game is going to run like a **** on release.

Actually the game uses ram very well, I think the devs explained it i a blog somewhere, and it allso utilizes multiple cores aswell. Being a 32-bit application it really cant use more than 3.5gb, but with latest beta patches they

Upvote 0