• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Anyone blind-fire?

SS-Komissaari, signing in

SS-Komissaari, signing in

I myself use blind-fire very rarely, 'cos i dont like to lean on the wall by left control.

It it good option, but enemy can see little bit of your feet, hand and head.
I prefer myself using that option on corners as little as I can.

But blind-fire is truly better option if you are out of nades and dont feel like you like to rush in a room full of enemy and stick your blade on them (like I usually do :D )

SS-Komissaari, signing out :IS2:

Upvote 0
It looked cool in the trailers, but not once have I felt the need to blind-fire over cover in the 12 hours i've played this game.

Am I doing it wrong, or is it just a useless feature?

Up until about a week ago, I kept forgetting that blind fire was in the game.

I did get a kill assist from blind firing over some sandbags once, and if you're surrounded by a bunch of enemies and alone behind a sandbag, it's a great way to shake em up and give yourself a few extra seconds until backup arrives.

I did blind fire a grenade once.... can't remember if I killed anybody with it though.

Upvote 0
blind fire is very useful. Even with bolt rifle.

Of course, if you don't know how to use it properly, you aren't going to understand why its in the game.

Firstly, blind fire is useful for clearing rooms with smgs.

However, in wide open areas, when you are taking a lot of fire, you use blind fire to return some rounds back in your shooters direction, this can somtimes break your suppression by getting them so stop shooting at you. I know this because i use it frequently to break my suppression when underfire.

Another reason to use it is to draw enemy fire so your team can reposition or move forward. All you need is yourself and maybe two other guys tops to do a lot of blind firing, especially in more tactical games(not pub server) it fools your enemy to start trying to suppress you while your team moves in to flank.

All of these posts saying blind fire is useless sounds like a bunch of pubbers to me.

Reactions: Bauer
Upvote 0
I've found that blindfire is usually not a great idea, for two reasons. One, it's usually unaimed, and two, you're stuck to cover. The latter is probably the worst problem, the former just makes it often a waste of ammo. If you're blindfiring, you're also a big target for a good penetrating shot too.

I've found it far more effective to quickly strafe across an open doorway while being ready to hipfire. That way you're only exposed for a very brief period, during which you're a moving target, and you can also quickly move out of the area where you might get hit through the wall. If you see an enemy, then you bank a grenade in there off the wall, and rush right after the blast while they're still disoriented/scrambling to clean up survivors.

Blindfire is usually a bad idea/waste/ineffective in real life, and it is in RO also.

Upvote 0
It's really range dependent. Blind firing around a doorway at another guy 60m down the hallway isn't going to help you much.

I've had some limited success with it using SMGs, when you're in that situation where you're in cover and he's out of cover just waiting for you to pop around the corner. A quick burst of blind fire can tend to break their concentration and if you're lucky enough you might actually clip them.

The entire cover system is situational to me though. The penetration value of many weapons is so high, or the absolute value of most cover is so low, that it's often making yourself easier to hit to lock directly on to cover. Better to stay a little bit back so you can prone and so it takes specific angles to hit you.

For example, on Pavlov's, you can put Mg34 rounds through all the walls of the house in 9th of January Square. Once I figured that out, I started murdering Russians hiding in the corners trying to hold the point and stay safe.

That said, if anyone didn't know, the icon with the colored shield that appears when you lock on to cover tells you its relative defensive value. Red means it's barely going to stop anything, green means it's good against most weapons.

Also, +1 for the AVT. It doesn't get the respect it deserves. It's A#1 German killer in CQC when someone turns a corner on you. I can't hip fire with half the weapons in game worth a damn, but the AVT seems to be on the mark every time. I love it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Blind fire is a last resort of the SMG-gunner. I've found it useful from urban maps to Fallen Fighters in cover-to-cover duels, but ultimately the soldier who keeps his head up and his aim over the enemy has the winning odds. Occasionally blind-fire pops that man in the head, however, so it is kind of a way to break the deadlock of hallway shootouts.

Remember those blood-soaked apartments at Zhitomir and trying to dislodge the machine gunner on the far Soviet end of a hall? Blind fire exists for that sort of shooting, I think.

Upvote 0
It's very situational, and most often there are much more effective tactics, but it should be in your "toolbox"; you should be comfortable enough with blind fire to recognize a moment that warrants it.

The only issue I have with blind fire is the difficulty in practicing and learning the skill; you have no indication where your rounds are impacting and attempting to gauge solely by the angle of your weapon is extremely difficult. This isn't really an 'issue' per se, as not seeing where you are hitting is the definition of blind fire, but it creates a sort of catch-22 when trying to learn approximately what the point of impact is for the assortment of weaponry.

I would love a target range type map, with transparent cover to blindfire from, which would allow you to see where you hit and practice this skill.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Another reason to use it is to draw enemy fire so your team can reposition or move forward. All you need is yourself and maybe two other guys tops to do a lot of blind firing, especially in more tactical games(not pub server) it fools your enemy to start trying to suppress you while your team moves in to flank.

I must say that I've run into this a couple of times while playing and I think in these situations it can actually distract players (at least me sometimes :D) to focus fire on a target which you basically can't hit.

Upvote 0
Blind fire is spectacularly useless right now, and will go on being spectacularly useless until they make you flinch more when you're under suppressing fire. Suppressing fire is the only reason you'd do it (like spraying the front of the Prop house, say), and since suppression barely affects the enemy's ability to aim, all it does is give them a nice chance to shoot off your fingers.

Upvote 0
Blindfiring grenades is infinitely more useful than blindfiring a gun. So I tend to use that a lot.

Blindfiring with a rifle doesn't seem very useful to me, as you'd only waste ammo and your enemy could advance on you while you try to reload.

Blindfiring with an automatic rifle however can be very useful as well. It is the ideal way to clear a room if you know there's a camper waiting for you.

I wish it had more uses, but that's probably because we don't see a lot of maps that are really focussed on room/hallway based indoor fights. Barracks and appartments seem viable, but still I find those maps lacking the actual need to clear out rooms(on TE). Territory doesn't seem to function very well for indoor fighting(with the exception of grain elevator).

I wouldn't mind a roombased indoor map, in which the TE areas are much much smaller, to allow for more dynamic territory control.

Upvote 0