• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Nice discussion under BF3 news

Apos

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 3, 2007
Europe
www.enclave.pl
I just found this. Open link and go to comments section. First it's nice that some people know about RO2 and mention that game there, however some comments are really funny i.e.

Can RO2 handle a full-on earthquake and have skyscrapers topple? Can you fly planes in RO2? Can you shoot rockets that blow holes in building in RO2? Does RO2 have brutal hand to hand combat sequences? Does RO2 have the reputation of one of the best PC games ever? Yeah. Didn

Reactions: Roflrocket
Quoted from that article:

"The innovation that is destruction far outweighs any innovation that RO2 might put on the table. Whatever that is, while the article about it made it look interesting, then it doesn’t have destruction, so really it’s just another stale old shooter with aspirations to realism. I have seen plenty of those. I have seen only 1,5 game with destruction."

picard-facepalm.jpg

I don't understand this logic that a FPS game cannot be innovative in any ways other than environmental destruction. Clearly these people no NOTHING about RO2 and the ways in which it strives to innovate.

That said, I am rather impressed at the sheer number of times RO2 is mentioned in those comments. Of course, this is also PC Gamer's website which has done alot of RO2 related stories. Hopefully more in the future ...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I don't understand this logic that a FPS game cannot be innovative in any ways other than environmental destruction. Clearly these people no NOTHING about RO2 and the ways in which it strives to innovate.

That would make OFP:CWC the most innovative game ever, as it had building and object destruction (and let's not forget you could knock trees, walls and fences down with AFVs) when it was released in 2001. Saying that makes it very tempting thought to post a trollish counter-argument like that under the comments.
trollface.gif

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That would make OFP:CWC the most innovative game ever, as it had building and object destruction (and let's not forget you could knock trees, walls and fences down with AFVs) when it was released in 2001. Saying that makes it very tempting thought to post a trollish counter-argument like that under the comments.
trollface.gif
The majority of today's mainstream gamers don't have gaming memories beyond 4-5 years ago, so I'm afraid your otherwise solid rebuttal would fall on deaf ears ...

Reactions: Stormer
Upvote 0
Just think about it, we won't have to play with those numbnuts, even if they buy the game, they will have trouble touching the keyboard ever again because we the community of TWI will slaughter them.
Double win for TWI, keeps the community, and gains some extra cash by the people that they don't want because they will quit withing the next 3 days.
Wow.

Really?

That is the kind of attitude that may well quickly eject new blood from the game, if not keep it away in the first place. Is that really what you want the game and the community to represent? Back to the club no one wants to be a member of...and a game that soon has only three digits of daily players.

I hope not.

Upvote 0
trollface.gif
All of this has happened before, and it will all happen again.
I remember when RO first got that map with parachuting. One of the under guys on our TS was saying out it was the cool how new it was. Then all the older guys telling him how Fire Arms had it several years earlier and I'm sure someone else could mention one that had it even before then.

Just think about it, we won't have to play with those numbnuts, even if they buy the game, they will have trouble touching the keyboard ever again because we the community of TWI will slaughter them.
Double win for TWI, keeps the community, and gains some extra cash by the people that they don't want because they will quit withing the next 3 days.

A better idea maybe to try and fold them into the community then start a flame war. Can't win them all over but its worth a shot. I also have a feeling that that guy was never going to get the game anyway and you would have a hard time having a conversation with him even in real life.

Upvote 0
A better idea maybe to try and fold them into the community then start a flame war. Can't win them all over but its worth a shot. I also have a feeling that that guy was never going to get the game anyway and you would have a hard time having a conversation with him even in real life.

Ender has it right! Spread the word of the RO 2, but reach out to unbelievers with love and understanding :) Spread the gospel of the IS-2

Upvote 0
I think Red Orchestra will always apeal to more mature gamers.
Most of younger players will go for the flashy cinematic experiences of the blockbuster mainstream shooters... then someday they will get bored with all that shooting gatling miniguns from chopers... and only then they will try RO, but thats fine, the best thing with RO is its durability, it stays around for many years.

Upvote 0
Wow.

Really?

That is the kind of attitude that may well quickly eject new blood from the game, if not keep it away in the first place. Is that really what you want the game and the community to represent? Back to the club no one wants to be a member of...and a game that soon has only three digits of daily players.

I hope not.
No, you misunderstood me, which I can understand how, my appologies. What I was saying is that the kind of game and community TWI has, it helps keep the kind of gamers we don't want, like the ones who want it all to be CoD, the kind that is just generally bad to have around.

Upvote 0
Ender has it right! Spread the word of the RO 2, but reach out to unbelievers with love and understanding :) Spread the gospel of the IS-2
Yep the best way to get people on board is to inform them. There are always those people that can never be persuaded, and rather than flame them, it's better to just let them be. Unless they outright flame RO2. Then they're fair game ;)

Praise :IS2:.

Reactions: Landrik
Upvote 0
I've discussed things on the BF3 UK forums that mainly have to do with realism.

Usually the threads get a few mentions of RO/RO2 as being a superior tactical shooter. Allot fo the peeps on those forums seem to be into RO2 for it having so much attention to detail that BF3 lacks.

I think people are starting to understand that BF3 is just another run of the mill Arcade shooter. Sure it's gonna be a blast to play, the graphics will be unmatched, but the arcade elements can be a huge turn off for some.

As an example I made a topic about leaning/rolling and the nay sayers come up with some pretty far out reasons not to include it. Usually it's just because BF never had it to begin with, so they don't want change for the better. Even if 75% of the people vote for it, they will not put it into the game. That just shows how much they don't listen to their active audience.

If TWI markets RO2 as a superior tactical shooter that can do everything BF3/CoD can do but better with more attention to detail and tactics you will for sure get tons to buy it. You just have to get the word out and drilled into the heads of the mass markets who may only see a BF3 commercial while watching a playoff game.

Upvote 0