• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Cover system

Sah.

Grizzled Veteran
May 6, 2009
hi, im trying to see if there's a way to effectively use the cover system, but i have some questions.

When i use the cover system i either get in the bottom left of my screen, a green yellow or red shield, i was wondering what these mean? Do they refer to my exposure, the extent of my cover, etc.

Also, when i crouch behind a wall in cover on my screen it looks as if my rifle is pointed up. does this apply to my 3d model ? i.e. if someone was on the other side of the wall would they see my rifle sticking up ? because if so it'd make absolutely no sense to use the cover in this case.

Thanks, Sah.

The cover system doesnt work perfect but to ignore it is imo an error. It works great at trenches which normally u couldnt shoot over, at doorways/corners to have a peak around it or to throw grenads out of cover.

I hope TWI will still tweak it because e.g. I miss changing stance in the cover system and I also think that u sometimes can be seen behind cover.

Still one of the great new features in RO2.

P.S.: I think the green, yellow or green shield is how good your cover is and if you are exposed, but I am not sure.

Last edited:
Reactions: echutter
Upvote 0
hi, im trying to see if there's a way to effectively use the cover system, but i have some questions.

When i use the cover system i either get in the bottom left of my screen, a green yellow or red shield, i was wondering what these mean? Do they refer to my exposure, the extent of my cover, etc.

Also, when i crouch behind a wall in cover on my screen it looks as if my rifle is pointed up. does this apply to my 3d model ? i.e. if someone was on the other side of the wall would they see my rifle sticking up ? because if so it'd make absolutely no sense to use the cover in this case.

Thanks, Sah.

The red/yellow/green shield refers to the strength of your cover. Green means that most projectiles will be stopped, while red means that your cover is basically only concealment, and that most if not all shots will penetrate. The shields aren't exactly reliable, however, as depending on what texture is on the other side of your cover, you may be more vulnerable than the shield suggests. Sandbags are also yellow cover for some reason, even though no weapon (except perhaps AT rifles?) can penetrate them.

If your rifle is pointed up, that does mean it can be seen from behind cover, since you are 'prepared' to hipfire. Just look down, and your rifle should be held horizontally and out of sight.

I don't use the cover system often, but it has its uses. Blindfiring grenades is actually a lifesaver that almost nobody knows how to do properly.

Upvote 0
I have the habit of playing as I do in Ostfront and don't use the cover system at all, I move methodically enough where this isn't a problem or a concern.

It is useful for blind firing into tight hallways and blind grenade tossing in rooms though.

I'm glad it's there, options are always a good thing but I wish to see some further tweaking to it in the future.

Upvote 0
i do like and use the cover system, you have to judge when its effective. e.g. covering behind the crates on Bhutovo works a treat, but trying to cover on fences is a total nightmare and doesnt offer much protection. Like the pop-up and look, much quicker than doing it from uncovered.

Also i think, when it works, it makes you feel more immersed cos you're behaving more like a soldier and less like a gamer.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I usually avoid it too when I play RO2 ... as others have said, it makes controls less responsive and often can get you in trouble if an enemy comes up fast and you need to react quickly. It simply wasn't designed fluidly enough to be used all the time.

I do sometimes use the cover system when I'm in trenches, or when I approach the edge of a doorway, because it provides a fairly easy way to get a good lean when your player is "stuck" to the doorway edge. Even then, only when I know the enemy is very far away.

The other issue with the cover system is that there is lots of room for error with it -- if hiding behind something, there's no guarantee that you're 100% invisible to enemy fire. In real life, this wouldn't be a huge deal, but in RO2, every soldier has super zoom on their weapons and basically no sway, so they can shoot what ever 2-square inch part of your body is showing in an instant.

Upvote 0
There's also the issue of unidirectional penetration that you need to take into consideration, so some surfaces might not provide the protection you think they will.

Also your rifle does not point up in the third person, I believe it actually is pointed downward. Typically it will/may just be the tip of your head that is exposed.

Upvote 0
I usually move myself manually to peek out from cover, since it's usually easy to do so while exposing less of yourself, and sometimes it's necessary to get the angle you need, anyway. That said, there are plenty of times when it's useful, too. It's all a matter of situation.

For me, cover is probably least-used when I'm shooting over fences or out windows, the later particularly because I would often prefer to be a few feet back to conceal my position better.

Also, when not in iron-sights, the direction your weapon is pointed doesn't match up between first- and third-person views. While it might often look like your weapon is pointed out from behind cover and giving your position away, it very rarely does so.

In real life, this wouldn't be a huge deal, but in RO2, every soldier has super zoom on their weapons

In real life, you can see considerably further and in more detail than you can in RO2.

Upvote 0
The cover system is something of no need to me ingame. RO:CA and RO:Ost both lacked it but I didn't miss it. Actually it's really annoying when you are trying to pick up several things from an enemy you just killed and while that your model is jumping in and out of cover mode all the time.:mad:

That's more an issue with a unified use button that a problem with the cover system. Mind you, there used to be separate keys for those functions (Cover, bandage, pick up weapon) before release.

Upvote 0
For waist-high objects, using the cover system usually hunkers you down farther than if you were just crouching behind it. Popping up with the cover system also typically exposes you less than standing up does. Depending on the height of the object, the cover pop-up can also put you at a more useful height for firing. The sideways pop-out for waist high objects also gets you a lot of horizontal lean without the vertical exposure that a crouch-lean does.

It has its moments.

Upvote 0
I would have used cover system more for when I'm on doorways or beside windows.

But the thing is your player model or rifle sticks out of cover and gives away your position.

So if you are covering a hallway and someone runs in, they will see your elbow or rifle before you pop around to surprise them, which lessens your chance at surviving the duel.

Upvote 0