• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Hi Guys, Noob Q

O_Smiladon

Oct 17, 2010
Hi Guys,

Just getting into RO2 and I am loving the tanks.

Not a sim but the closest thing I can find to date of a real life tank sim.

Love the way you feel in closed in the tank , you almost get the felling “MY TANK!” go away.lol

And the fact that you are driving around and there are real human players out in front of you doing there thing. Verry cool

So with out searching all the threads in the forum, my Q is.

Will there be more tanks coming ??

Some heavy’s and tank destroyers ????

Thanks guys

O_Smiladon

Last edited:
Two troop transports, the universal carrier and the sdkfz 251 will supposedly be included in the next patch. Not tanks, but more vehicles at least.

I don't think they will be in the next patch, but probably in the one after that. Afterall, they aren't even in the beta maps for testing. If they are, I will be surprised.

Upvote 0
The problem with the average gamer is the 'wish' for too much, and then complain too much of the reality of now. TWI has the carrot out there, the usual suspects keep reaching for it, and still nothing.

The game as is is a fun game, all this 'fantasy' MW/BF mods everyone want will destroy it. Keep RO2 as is, and then have another SEPERATE release as not to ruin RO2 for the rest of us who like INFANTRY combat games.

Just as there are those who are tank centric, many looked forward to the Infantry aspect of the game. We do not want tanks only maps, and map rotations just to tank centric maps, we enjoy the infantry aspect. And as had been said....'Moving Foxholes attract attention."

Upvote 0
The problem with the average gamer is the 'wish' for too much, and then complain too much of the reality of now. TWI has the carrot out there, the usual suspects keep reaching for it, and still nothing.

The game as is is a fun game, all this 'fantasy' MW/BF mods everyone want will destroy it. Keep RO2 as is, and then have another SEPERATE release as not to ruin RO2 for the rest of us who like INFANTRY combat games.

Just as there are those who are tank centric, many looked forward to the Infantry aspect of the game. We do not want tanks only maps, and map rotations just to tank centric maps, we enjoy the infantry aspect. And as had been said....'Moving Foxholes attract attention."

You do realize that if more combined arms maps/tank maps come out, you can still play on infantry only maps or infantry only servers, right? I mean, do you really think infantry only servers will disapear? :p

Upvote 0
Just the population of those Infantry servers will drop as the 'tank' maps will be the favored maps as the 'youth' here get their 'fantasy' weapons and tanks.

Like Mare Nostrum, Darkest Hour died, as the popular servers and clans died as the new toys appeared, favorite servers depopulated and destroyed the base game.

This RO2 fiasco will just repeat the established process....

Upvote 0
Youth :confused:

Em... OK.

-------

I guess there we will have to disagree. Adding vehicles won't be creating separate 'mod' games that are separate from the main game as DH and MN were.

Even if some players would move to other servers to finally play those type maps that they have been waiting for (and lets face it, those are still a ways off), there will always be infantry maps and infantry servers.

And to cap it off, you don't want this because you think less players be on your favorite servers to play because they are playing something else that they prefer? So you are saying, don't go off and play something that you'd much prefer playing, stay on this server with me even though you don't like it as much? :D

You sound as selfish as me :p

Upvote 0
Incorrect assumption, I will play anywhere against anything that is the challenge to me. Notice my stats and where I play now. I just fear what a massive 'change' will do to base game as in my experience going back to the days of the C64 games, is once a game has morphed away from the base it dies rather quickly. The maps are movement restrictive now and placing a 'Tiger' with it's longer range to where I as an infantryman can not get to it , and if I get to it limited on what I can do to it, will really unbalance the game. Imagine playing 'bridges' with a ISU-152 putting a HE round through every window, that would really 'balance' a game, as the Russian with no real effective infantry AT tries to get close. Or the PzKw V 'Panther' sitting back, hull defilade, one shot wondering every T-34/85 it sees. We need to expand the maps far greater to get a more WW2 feel, rather than all these toys compressed into a narrow fronted WW1 battlefield. The current tanks have a 'real' effective range of 3-500m, still a little long for these current maps, now put 1000m weapons into these narrow confines. Even in reality the early narrow front battles were soon replaced in thinking to far more open and far larger fronts as more and better tanks became available. In game we are dealing with maybe a usable 500m 'front', and best case maybe 1500m length, far too small for later war tanks. BTW are the modder's going to allow the steel cored Soviet 7.62X54R rifle and MG round to penetrate the German Sd.Kfz 250/251 as it could at 150m or will that part of 'history and reality be forgotten in order to 'balance' the game and to keep the mech troops happy.

Upvote 0
Incorrect assumption, I will play anywhere against anything that is the challenge to me. Notice my stats and where I play now. I just fear what a massive 'change' will do to base game as in my experience going back to the days of the C64 games, is once a game has morphed away from the base it dies rather quickly. The maps are movement restrictive now and placing a 'Tiger' with it's longer range to where I as an infantryman can not get to it , and if I get to it limited on what I can do to it, will really unbalance the game. Imagine playing 'bridges' with a ISU-152 putting a HE round through every window, that would really 'balance' a game, as the Russian with no real effective infantry AT tries to get close. Or the PzKw V 'Panther' sitting back, hull defilade, one shot wondering every T-34/85 it sees. We need to expand the maps far greater to get a more WW2 feel, rather than all these toys compressed into a narrow fronted WW1 battlefield. The current tanks have a 'real' effective range of 3-500m, still a little long for these current maps, now put 1000m weapons into these narrow confines. Even in reality the early narrow front battles were soon replaced in thinking to far more open and far larger fronts as more and better tanks became available. In game we are dealing with maybe a usable 500m 'front', and best case maybe 1500m length, far too small for later war tanks. BTW are the modder's going to allow the steel cored Soviet 7.62X54R rifle and MG round to penetrate the German Sd.Kfz 250/251 as it could at 150m or will that part of 'history and reality be forgotten in order to 'balance' the game and to keep the mech troops happy.

Tiger? Panther? We still haven't even gotten troop carriers or a Pzkw III yet lol

And stats... they mean nothing to me :p

Upvote 0
Just stating that I play a lot and enjoy the current mode. Now think a bit, maps are already too condensed with 'protected' areas, now add vehicles that out range the current models, again shrinking the effective playing area, and troop carriers that now can again provide a 'protected' way to speed the 40m to the next 'cap'.

Unless a lot of the 'protected' areas are removed or playing area expanded this will be a mess. In DH with the 'larger' maps and greater distances between 'protected' areas, carrier's and larger longer ranged vehicles worked, now condense these same vehicles into a far smaller map with pretty large 'protected' areas already.

Upvote 0
Just the population of those Infantry servers will drop as the 'tank' maps will be the favored maps as the 'youth' here get their 'fantasy' weapons and tanks.

Like Mare Nostrum, Darkest Hour died, as the popular servers and clans died as the new toys appeared, favorite servers depopulated and destroyed the base game.

This RO2 fiasco will just repeat the established process....

Seeing as though you dangled that carrot, I'll bite.

I am not sure how you came to the conclusion that vehicles/tanks killed RO1, DH, and MN. The last time I checked (like this past weekend), there were several armor and combined arms servers that were pretty much totally populated. So, one could argue that the vehicles have kept the game going. I am not sure about you, but the same ol...same ol...CODish smaller type infantry maps are getting old. If it wasn't for the community with their wonderful custom maps, great servers & people, I personally would have given up this game a long time ago.

What this game needs is a variety, otherwise, you will continue to see "depopulate" as you have indicated above.

Upvote 0
Never implied that vehicles 'killed' previous efforts, it was the minute changes to the base game dynamic. RO2 was designed as an Infantry based game, now the demand is vehicle centric, and as you put it the small infantry maps are getting 'old', see there is a prevailing shift like I am talking about.

Depopulation is a double edged sword in any game, you change the game you lose the base happy with original, you don't change you begin to lose the maps getting 'old' crowd.

I enjoy infantry orientated games across the board. Even on DH a tank centric game I preferred Infantry roles...nature of the beast I guess.

Upvote 0