• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Some very good books

Sry m8 i miss-qouted myself and i "think" the wrong message got through to you:(
I meant that i google'd him to find what kind of person he is and i agree with ya now!
I made some edits to pass what i meant(i h8 to give wrong impressions but sometimes
english confuse me they have difrent syntax from greek:))

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Shirer's Rise and Fall is a classic, an absolute must read for those interested in WWII history and the political history of the Nazi party in particular. The thing that really struck me about this story was just what a bunch of wingnuts and misfits the senior Nazi leaders really were. I found it incredible that this group of freaks was able to gain complete control over one of the world's most advanced countries. I think it should be required reading for some of the posters on this forum who seem to identify with the Nazis just a little too closely.

It was a very good read and yes, it is quite shocking how a bunch of vagabonds were able to gain so much control.

Upvote 0

This novel indeed looks interesting: about the Cholm pocket? Perhaps you can elaborate on the tale?

My current list (I am undisciplined and read half-a-dozen at a time):

Paul Adair - Hitler's Greatest Defeat: The Collapse of Army Group Centre, June 1944 - first impression: a slow start; half the book is general background and preparations, but is more detailed when covering the events themselves.

James Lucas - War on the Eastern Front: The German Soldier in Russia, 1941-1945 - unrelated chapters on a range of topics, e.g. the Nebelwerfer, Stug aces, encirclement, winter warfare. IMO somewhat introductory and perhaps containing some "myths", but also has some good information anyway.

Panzers on the Eastern Front and Ivan's War - discussed elsewhere in this thread. I can really recommend the former.

Next on the list - perhaps someone knows this one and can comment on it? Christopher Duffy - Red Storm on the Reich: The Soviet March on Germany, 1945 - events from Jan.-Apr. 1945.

Upvote 0
Just starting to read this "1" ww2 memoir:Five Years Four Fronts by Georg Grossjohannhttp://www.amazon.com/Five-Years-Fo...7262802?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1180818904&sr=8-1
After this it will be the ones in my first post of the thread they finaly arrived it was worth the w8!!

Any opinion on this one? (I have been presented with the opportunity to get a hold of it...)

In the mean time:

Fighting in Hell: The German Ordeal on the Eastern Front - contains more pamphlets from the German Report Series mentioned earlier. Two of the contributions are by Raus, whose pamphlets make up Panzers on the Eastern Front: General Erhard Raus and his Panzer Divisions in Russia, 1941-1945.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I did finish Ivans War during my vacation. Didn't found weird deathcounts.
As i remember correct it's stated 8 million dead armyman.
The number of dead tankcrew is possible to.
We must keep in mind that there will always be a debate for the count.
I do remember the PPSH thing Nestor mentioned but it could be an
unnoticed error in the print.

I think Merridale did a great job to honor the people who did the fighting
and did write in an easy way.

I did read the Writer at War book last year. Like its already told here it's a
gathering of thoughts and notes Grossman made during his time embedded
at the Red Army.

Last year i also read The Forsaken Army by Heinrich Gerlach
It's the battle of Stalingrad from a German perspective. Although i like the
read,I did read it twice, i have my doubts about this book.
Still a nice read.

Another great book i have it's the book which comes with the
BBC documentary. War of the Century (When Hitler fought Stalin)
Great read and good original pictures.

About the Americans in Europe The crash of ruin is a good read.
It basicly tells about how the American soldier experienced their time
in Europe during WW2.

=================================

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This Sub Forum needs and updated book listing page. I just saw an awesom book of German fortifications with cutaways and perspective drawings but dont really know where to post about it. The main thing was that it would be good for mappers they had a pretty good drawing of a flaktower in there heres a link
http://www.amazon.com/Fortress-Thir...0996030?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1187977759&sr=8-1
A book section stickied would be a good idea or maybe it would be better for the wiki.

Upvote 0
With our Backs to Berlin, ten first hand accounts about the last days of WW2 by Germans vets and one Russian vet, one ending in the Reichstag. Slaughter at Halbe, about the encirclement and break out to the Americans by the German 9th army, named after a village south of Berlin that all the Germans had to pass to break out to the Americans, only 20 to 25 thousand soldiers and refugees made it.

Upvote 0
Not quite Ostfront, but it does touch on German POWs. Anne Applebaum's 2004 Pulitzer prize-winner called Gulag - "a narrative account of the origins and development of the Soviet concentration camps, from Lenin to Gorbachev."
Please read the Introduction to this book!

Then, Panzer Operations: The Eastern Front Memoir of General Raus, 1941-1945 - this one edited by Steven Newton and is an integration and re-edit of works previously written as pamphlets by Raus under the German Report Series. Newton says the latter were in fact heavily edited by US Army staff and translators before publication, so he aims to stay true to Raus' original writings. IMO the maps are better in the pamphlets.

Also started Frontsoldaten, which has been mentioned before in this thread. Elsewhere it has been criticized for relying too much on Sajer's Forgotten Soldier. There are plenty of footnotes and a bibliography, though. Also, it would be interesting to see it as a kind of "Fritz's War" mirror to Merridale's Ivan's War - Axis and Allied soldiers' personal experiences on the front.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Any opinion on this one? (I have been presented with the opportunity to get a hold of it...)

Sry for the l8 posting but i cant help you!!!
While i started to read it those arrived:

1)Island Of Fire
http://www.leapinghorseman.com/proddetail.php?prod=0975107631&cat=5

2)Death of the Leaping Horseman: 24. Panzer-Division in Stalingrad
http://www.leapinghorseman.com/proddetail.php?prod=0646410342&cat=5

And after the 1st chapter i had to read the Death of the Leaping Horseman:)(Wich is one of the best books it RoCkS!!!!)

Upvote 0