• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Marketing

As I said for the current community it would be nicest to continuously give out information, rather than a big info gap till the train departs. But that would take the heat away from the possible new players and game reviewers etc. Someone got to put their priorities somewhere. And especially as all current players will get the game like a flock of sheep anyway regardless of communication, so its probably the wisest to create a marketing campaign focussed to reach new players.

And that is the difference with the football match you talk about, in those cases you have to focus primarily on your existing fan base. Here the majority of players will come from people that right now don't know the game even exists.

That's why news probably wont appear first in this forum but on some external website. Not that I'm overly happy with all of that, as of course I'd prefer to know everything that is planned right now, and hear when something is implemented and see every wip model and texture in various stages. But priorities always have to be made.

Again with your plane example, there is no estimate given regarding completion of building the plane. Waiting for it to depart is something you generally shouldn't do.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
What I simply don't understand is how the information we get is being handled.

You see, back when HoS was announced with a great news article in PC Gamer there was a LOAD of news going all around the internet.
Now, apart from Vodoo and 3 other tiny websites I've never heard of there is NO evidence of that great interview and those awesome screenshots from just a few weeks ago. No big magazine even found it worth to write a 5 sentence article that new screenshots are revealed along with an interview. Screenshots are great, but they serve no purpose if no one notices them.

This also is reflected on community forums and websites. The one single random dead thread that hasn't been visited since 3 months is normally started by 1 guy who played the original RO, 1 guy that is interested and 10 guys that have never heard anything about it and don't care about it either, because, when they search on the interwebs, they find nearly no evidence apart from the announcement story from 2009.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If the RnL mod team for hl2 can do 2 updates a month i dont see why TWI couldnt.

Because there is much more too it than just spewing out content there, they're a business for god sake, what seems like a peace of cake with your brilliant ideas might just not be the way to go.

I always found forum enthusiasts rather funny , they don't have a clue about procedures or strategy's , time, rights etc they just spew out their ideas and wonder why the developers are so "stupid" and not follow them...

And there is a HUGE difference between a Mod and a Game developer.

Upvote 0
As I said above, I'm not an expert and not stating that I am, but to discuss some specific forms of marketing I prefer as a gamer and experienced as working the best, I don't need to be an expert. We all get in contact with marketing on a daily basis. We're all consumers here and can look from our own perspective how we find out about our games, how we stay interested in them till release, and what makes us buy games.

Because remember that as players of video games like roost we do fall within the target audience the game is marketed to. So if all forum members would state how they find out info about games it could give some valuable information for TWI.

Tripwire is already following through on their own marketing plan of course, and following through on their own game plans and strategies. But it never hurts to share opinions, ideas and suggestions on things. Its not really different from saying what game features we like when saying what forms of news we like best. Its not like were discussing details about marketing either we're just scratching the surface on things we can consciously notice ourselves.

As long as people give arguments to support their thoughts rather than supposedly state facts, then someone can judge for himself if things make sense or not and keep the discussion going. If someone states some nonsense then simply state why what he said doesn't work.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hype-train.jpg

Upvote 0
yeah but its ultimativly pointless since NOONE here has the "magic spreadsheet" that twi posesses....:D

Sure its fun to moan about "no info" or "badly placed information"...still i think its as random and pointless to try and discuss these things.

No body knows what twi will implement in the game some things suggested may have been already implemented as well. Yet there is a reason why the ideas and suggestions section is open now already. Once a game reaches beta stage pretty much everything is set into stone already, meaning no huge changes.

There are a lot of things that people notice like frequency of news postages and the general community relations and those are the primary points of discussion so far. Discussing this stuff once the hype train has started and the plan is in effect is more pointless as then nothing can possibly change any more anyway.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
What makes you think "the plan" will change based on this thread or this time around ? :rolleyes:

I'm not stating anything will be changed. The same with regular suggestions most of those wont make it in either. But if anyone got anything to say now would be the time to out it if ever.

Its probably a given that once things get rolling TWI will start calling out more to the popular gaming sites, give more regular news updates and use social networking sites as they have done in the past. But that doesn't make it wrong for people to state their concerns about things.

The reason why people discuss things is to out their opinion, if you do not want people discussing things then don't visit forums to begin with. Just relax and ignore this thread if it annoys you that much.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
All the thread starter is pointing out is that the games advertising so far is not going far enough which is true, i'm not sure why you have a problem with this BlackLabel they are just stateing a fact... Now I'm sure TWI will have a massive push of advertisement soon but it is a shame that so far when you mention HoS to some people they have no idea what it is...

Upvote 0
Look, you get bombarded by advertisement all day for godknows what game. In fact, advertisement cost money and as we all know can sell even a crappy game if enough money is poured into the right "loudest" channels.

IMO, they (TWI) said they show stuff if they think its the right time. And, tbh if people hear like "ww2 shooter" nowadays its initialy "blargh not again" reaction.

And you cant reach everyone who is remotely intrested in games. Maybe TWI can get some good coverage from some likeminded magazine/webpage but i doubt you whould see massive adds like bigger companys are able to put out there.

You dont show half finished assets, renders and all that crap when your game is sheduled do what now ? Winter 10 early 11 ? You whouldent have assets for the long haul...

Anyways..no gamedeveloper should listen to "marketing suggestions" from their community anyways. fact.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sichartshofen
Upvote 0