• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Error] Uninstall To End Run Time Library C++ Error??

Gamburd

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 14, 2007
Detroit, MI
I receive the following ERROR message:

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

X: Runtime Error

Program C:\ Program Files\Steam\steam.exe

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.

Please contact the application support team for more information

The best thing to do if you get a runtime error is to go to your Red Orchestra directory, which is in in wherever you installed steam, in steam/steamapps/common/red orchestra

Inside the Red Orchestra directory there is a folder called "system". Delete it.

Then inside steam right click on Red Orchestra, select properties, click "local content", then click "Verify integrity of game cache".

It should download the system directory, once it is done try again.

(By Morello)

Solution is heere !!!!- i had the same problem. C+runtime library..

Got this from Nagels:)

Go to your steam acount/my games/right click on redorchestra/go down to properties/verify integrity of game and there you go!!!!!!!! Steam will now chech that you got all the files neaded.... if one is missing(witch i did) it will download it for you....

(By Nors)

(My first post regarding the Run Time Error I am receiving is in my January 10, 2008 post: Handling A Run Time Library C++ Error in this Red Orchestra Support section of the forum;so, if you need any additional information to answer my question in this Thread , please go there).

It looks like I'm going to have to uninstall and then try reinstalling RO on my brother's computer application in order to try to avoid the Run Time Library C++ Error I receive when I try to start the game.

It looks like I have / had some sort of computer virus on my area of the computer; I have a light blue "screen of death" instead of the usual dark blue Windows start up screen; however, I still have about half of my computer programs. I can still surf the net, and my security system works.

I don't have a Menu Bar (File, Edit, Tools running across the top of the screen), and my Adobe Flashplayer doesn't work.

However, I do have a Google Toolbar

Worst, I can't play my favorite video game, Red orchestra!!

I followed Morello's quoted advice.

But my Steam Desk Top Icon is gone and so is the icon for Half-Life 2.

So, I went into, from START> My Computer> C-Drive> Programs> Steam (all of my Steam folders and applications seem to be there)> Games.

I see HL2, but no RO in the Games Folder. If I click on HL2, I can't verify cache and nothing starts up

I went to Start > All Programs > Steam > RO (yes, RO is there), but I can't start the game or verify the cache there either.

So, none of this advice seems to work; I think I have tried almost everything you guys have suggested.

Inside the Red Orchestra directory there is a folder called "system". Delete it.
(BY Morello)

Delete your "client registry blob" file, to be found in the main Steam folder. (By Fiftyone)

Other people have suggested this; I just have a question, why do you want to do this?? Before I do something, I like to understand why.

I didn't delete them, but I think it probably doesn't matter because I can't even start / open up RO.

If you have any other words of advice, I'd like to hear them.

CrapCleaner for getting rid of unwanted cookies and crap in general.
You would be amazed at how much crap is accumulated in a week of surfing ze webs.
(By Fiftyone)

I thought of using the CrapCleaner program as a last ditch effort to clean up my computer application, but someone said that one may not be able to login at the RO Forum unless you save the cookie or something, and I don't want to get banished by the RO Forum.

Can someone who uses CrapCleaner maybe explain that a little more??
If it cleans everything I might not be able to login and communicate if I'm having any more problems with the game.

I definitely don't want that to happen.

Last edited:
even though crapcleaner will delete cookies if you visit this website you just wont be logged in at the first reconnect so you need to reenter your username and password, then a new cookie will be created. So there is nothing to fear but try getting some free virusscanner and fix up your computer a bit. Can you post a link to the original problem to (i'm lazy and don't feel like searching :p)

Upvote 0
Here is my prior Thread explaining about the problem I'm encountering.

http://www.redorchestragame.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24616

I'm more than happy to post the pictures of my computer screen, but I am a little computer illiterate (but I am making great progress!) and don't know how to do that.

If you explain how to do that (easy to follow step by step, please), I will post screenshots of my computer.

Do I go to "Tools" or "Page"???

I have something called McAfee Security system which is part of my internet subscription $$.

McAfee says it is running; it has spyware, and that removed some bugs. I aslo ran Windows Defender and did a McAfee Virus scan which also removed some bugs.

But it didn't restore my computer 100%

Whatever I had messed my computer up about 50%, and fortunately, just my section of the computer.

But I can live with it.

My brother's section of the computer is still operating fine.

So I am thinking of uninstalling RO and, with his approval, trying to reinstall it on his section of the computer.

If I uninstall, do I still have to delete that System folder and "client registry blob file"???

I just want to do it the right way so I don't screw it up; I don't even know if that will help.

Half-Life 2 was the other game I had installed; but it doesn't come up under All Programs> Steam>

Only RO comes up.

But HL2 is in my computer's C-Drive> Programs>Steam>Games in the Games' folder. But RO is not (no big RO logo here in the Games' Folder).

Upvote 0
Run the Cleaner Tool in CC to do a basic clean of your cookies and temporary data files.
You can choose what you wish to remove. In the IE & WE columns I have ticked everything and in the System area I have not ticked the last two, the Advanced is not ticked as a rule.
The default settings are OK.

If you don't wish to empty your Bin un-tick, up to you to decide.
Analyze and Run.
You will fall over back wards when you see how much Crap has been accumulated.

Go to CC Options/ Cookies and move the RO Forum entry to the "Cookies to keep column", and there you go. Do the same with any other password cookies that you use on a regular basis, Gamespy or whatever.

There is another little gem in the Registry Tool, for example every time you delete something odds and sods get left behind.
Once you have it working as you like you can set it to run at start up.

Might seem a bit daunting at first but its a pretty safe program for nincompoops :D...

Might not help with your problem but is just good computer management.

Thanks.

Upvote 0
Now, if I do use the CrapCleaner, can I run it simultaneously with my McAfee Security System??

This McAfee Security system says that it may not run as well or may conflict with a second security system if it is installed.

I certainly do not want to screw it up.

What do you think?? Could that be a true statement, or is McAfee just trying to persuade its users not to try a competing computer security system???

Upvote 0
if only your section is ****ed up, then why don't you try backing up important stuff and deleting your section and making a new account ;o. If the other accounts are still ok then the master account is ok and that means that your entire system can be fine without a reformat and hardly will take any time :p.

Maybe I could do that; when I was reading about reformatting, they said you could save stuff to a CD disc.

How would I go about doing reformatting it?? I guess you have to go to the Administrator's section of the computer.

Where's that???

If you could help me get started with that and give advice "how to," that would be great.

I could also make a trip to the library and also get a book on Windows XP Home Edition; to be honest, I just don't know all the "ins and outs" of computers like some of you guys do.

The only problem, if I reformat it, all my Battlefield games and Mods will get wiped off the computer, I assume, and downloading Forgotten Hope 1 plus all of its Mappacks, as well as EA Games tough to install, tough to patch Battlefield 2 plus Armoured Fury etc., did take a lot of time to download and install.

Upvote 0
CrapCleaner is a one time runner. It does its job and then closes, if you have chosen the option to do so.

Watch out for your brothers password cookies.

Delete all that is giving you problems, Steam, RO, and I mean all !
Run CCleaner Clean tool, then run the Registry tool, reboot your computer.

Go get the Steam installer, and install from your HD rather than execute directly.

You have done a full AV scan of tour computer I assume !

Good luck !

Upvote 0
I fixed the error!!!

This is what and all I did: I went to a public (local government run) library, checked out a book on Microsoft Windows XP called Absolute Beginner's Guide to Microsoft Windows XP (but any recent book on Windows XP will work), and the book suggested using a System Restore Point which are created automatically by the computer every few days.

Clicked Start> All Programs > Accessories > System Tools, and then, > System Restore.

Select Restore my computer to an earlier time > Next.

A calendar appears and then you find the most recent date that has a System Checkpoint (make sure it is a System Checkpoint and not an "individual Program name installation restore point").

Then click Next to restore, and a few hours later (it took mine almost three hours), your computer should be fully restored as it was a few days ago before the crash occurred.

It may be possible to lose just a few programs (I didn't have any problems because I hadn't downloaded any) if you downloaded any a few days before one's system crashed, but that would be a small price to pay to get nearly everything back.

Now I can play RO and everything works.:D

Last edited:
Upvote 0