• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

would this offend you?

Rahabib

Dec 14, 2010
I have serveral friends who come from the old COD1/2 and Day of Defeat days of fast paced "arcade" WW2 shooters. I was thinking maybe it would be fun to put together a simple 'softcore' mod where you dont have free aim, you have a cursor, and possibly a few minor tweaks to recoil and hip accuracy, movement speeds, etc.

I know it may not work, but in other games people get really offended by just mentioning taking time to do something like this. I personally don't have anything against the realism, I liked the UT mod quite a bit despite all its bugs, but I could get a few more of my other friends to try it out and maybe eventually try the full experience.

I know there is an arcade mode or whatever they call it, but I don't think they go so far as to add cursors and such.

edit: I am not asking TWI to make this mode. I am saying that if someone (say for instance me, were to make a *mod* like this).

So what do you think?

Last edited:
Well, thing is, if they want all that, why would they want to pick Red Orchestra over any other shooter...? If they need crosshairs and stuff RO is simply not their game...

the idea is to use the mod as a gateway to the main game. Get them used to the maps and such, then as they see more players in the main game, they can give it a try. Also, COD1/2 and DOD:S etc. are all very dated and dying out. This gives them a way to get back into a similar style game.

Upvote 0
Well, thing is, if they want all that, why would they want to pick Red Orchestra over any other shooter...? If they need crosshairs and stuff RO is simply not their game...

This ^ Basically what you're saying is for TWI to make CoD:WaW-style gameplay as a different game mode. There's already "relaxed realism" mode which has a lot of stuff RO-newbs will find very helpful to get them finally into the full-blown thing, but if you refuse to adapt to the fact that you have to AIM before you shoot, RO is simply not your game (and maybe KF for that matter).

Upvote 0
also, again, I dont mind the realism of RO. I will probably primarily play the normal version. But I have heard from 3-4 of my old buddies from DOD, that they wont play RO cause its too slow for them. I figured it would be fun to give it a try.

No matter what you do with a mod, if they dont like the pace of RO now, they never will. They will NEVER move on to something else.
It would be (imo) greatly offending to the old fanbase of RO to add something THIS different from the RO experience just to entertain a few people who dont have the necessary attention span to enjoy the more intricate gameplay that only RO offers.

To put it more simply, if something like what you suggest would be added, i would refuse to buy the game, because it means they have lost all integrity in my eyes.

Upvote 0
Bad idea theres firefight mode and if they dont like it then its not our problems

This ^ Basically what you're saying is for TWI to make CoD:WaW-style gameplay as a different game mode. There's already "relaxed realism" mode which has a lot of stuff RO-newbs will find very helpful to get them finally into the full-blown thing, but if you refuse to adapt to the fact that you have to AIM before you shoot, RO is simply not your game (and maybe KF for that matter).

Ok, I'm going to wade in here, wielding a big lump of wood...

J, M & J... a guys pops up on our forums talking about creating a mod (NOT asking us to do it), to help draw his more arcade-minded friends into the fold. And you lot start flaming on him?

Personally, I think it is a fine idea. Yes, they'd be missing a bunch of the core game mechanics - but they'd also be exposed to them. If they don't like it after that, that is just fine. But if they do like it, they'll most probably step into relaxed realism servers and learn some more of the mechanics. Another "gateway drug".

There is a limit to how far we can (time/budget) go towards attracting arcade-minded players. There is also a limit to what we want to do - and relaxed realism is really outside our scope. But it is NOT outside the scope of people wanting to mod the core game.

So here is the full-on rant to the RO "hard-core" fans from me:

What the flying feck is the matter with some of you people? There are bazillions of new warm bodies out there that would actually like to find their way into the RO fold. When people are willing to find ways to help them - even if you wouldn't enjoy that "mode" yourself - why the sh1t would you immediately leap on them and slap them? If they are whiny little bastards, they won't stay and they won't "bother" you. But, in an ideal world, they will become converts, stay and contribute fully to the beast that is RO.

I think I am going give up my personal membership of the Elitist Prick Club and ban the next camel-humper who punches people who want to help us all. If people want to help, by all means say "I wouldn't play that version if you paid me" - but do NOT (repeat do NOT) poke them in the eye and treat them like scum for suggesting it.

So - try the concept of WELCOMING newcomers and their ideas.

Upvote 0
To put it more simply, if something like what you suggest would be added, i would refuse to buy the game, because it means they have lost all integrity in my eyes.

And you are SO fortunate that you put that in BEFORE my post...

I was thinking maybe it would be fun to put together a simple 'softcore' mod

The OP talked about a mod in the first place - NOT something for TWI to do.

Upvote 0
RO2 will if I recall correctly be more fast paced than RO1 anyway, so tough to speculate what might be needed even further for some. Not sure, as others have said though, that such "gateway mode" would work if it is too different from the original. Firefight game type seems like a better approach as it is the same game, just another victory condition to it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I like the way RO players and fans are pretty protective over it, At times though they really do make me cringe.

I've' been on Cod servers where they have weird realism set up's, You can't jump and shoot or dolphin dive, ''bunny hop'' etc and it used to make me laugh, As Cod was never intended to be realistic, So in that sense I get why RO players are anti Arcade, The point is I found it amusing but also respected Them for making that choice.

Is It that hard to respect and not disrespect someone just because of an Idea.

Upvote 0
Ok, I'm going to wade in here, wielding a big lump of wood[...]

*burned* with a lump of wood.

Anyway, I made a derp, I missed the part where OP was talking about a mod... I thought he was suggesting that a whole new game mode with other game modes in it should be included which would cause another split in the RO community which sounds pretty damn bad in the eyes of us elitist pricks. ._.

Upvote 0
Alan said:
I think I am going give up my personal membership of the Elitist Prick Club

Hey.. you leave us outta this. We didn't jump on this guy. Gibby and SiC don't speak for us. So let's not be hasty. You're keeping your EP lapel pin, the key to the executive gold-plated bathroom and your subscription to 'EP Weekly', and we won't hear anymore of this kind of talk..

Upvote 0
lol. its ok. I understand the sentiment out there, which is why I titled the post "would you be offended," because I understand how protective gamers can be, especially when its an "indy."

Anyway, in an age where there is no SDKs anymore, this is really the only game thats going to allow mods to a degree that we havent seen in years. Thats the main thrust of this. The BF3 engine wont have an SDK for a while and probably wont allow any sort of freedom that this game will. So to use this engine for my own purposes and maybe eventually I would like to make a sci-fi style game mod in the future if I get some support and help.

The other thing is, that even if this mod wouldn't be a success, for me it would be fun to try, as a learning experience. Finally, I like RO the way it was. I don't mind playing the actual game, and will no matter what. I just though it would be fun to learn modding by doing something to reach out. More sales is more sales I figure even if its just a handful. If they dont like RO then they wont buy it anyway, so its not like its a loss. I bought BF2 simply for the mod tools, and although none of my mods were of any success, It was nice to create a game you like. I would hope that some of you guys would come out and try the mod even if its just to relax from the main game and to support other modders; to each their own.

But again, dont worry - you will see me enough to shoot me in the actual game :p Hell, it may not even be worth trying to mod in the first place.

Upvote 0