• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

World Cup 2006

World Cup 2006

• Total voters
{YBBS}Sage said:
Yeah, I am. And the original title and post didn't say anything about the World Cup, which I've heard of.

What surprises me is that the US has a team. I didn't think anybody but middle-schoolers played soccer here. :p

It's really quite big, and the team is pretty good, considering. We will really be doing something worth talking about in another 10-15 years or so, though, once the current 'soccer moms' are retired, and their soccer-loving children are having tots of their own. I expect to see a rise in its popularity by then. As an added bonus, hopefully the NFL/NBA/NBL (or whatever the baseball one is :p) will get bumped to more humble levels, so that a REAL sport like soccer can take the spotlight (then, I can dream, HOCKEY!!! :D)

Upvote 0
Tak said:
It's really quite big, and the team is pretty good, considering. We will really be doing something worth talking about in another 10-15 years or so, though, once the current 'soccer moms' are retired, and their soccer-loving children are having tots of their own. I expect to see a rise in its popularity by then. As an added bonus, hopefully the NFL/NBA/NBL (or whatever the baseball one is :p) will get bumped to more humble levels, so that a REAL sport like soccer can take the spotlight (then, I can dream, HOCKEY!!! :D)
Football will always be the one and only "world" sport. No other sport will take that title.

It's just too damn popular. None of the "new" sports will grow much(outside of US&Canada, for example) because Football was established centuries ago(or whatever), and grew together with the colonial powers, expanding throughout the world like a virus.

Why do you think Latin-America is so good at football? Because football was big in Spain, and they brought it over here, same with the rest of the world.

Where else is Hockey popular? Nowhere... basketball? Nowhere. Baseball? Nowhere. American Football? Nowhere. Nascar? Nowhere, you get my point.

Upvote 0