• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Wirecutters for engineer class

While the idea itself is nice, and it would undoubtedly be pretty cool to snip through a fence and get behind enemy lines to take out their sniper/MG/lay explosives a la Commandos: Behind Enemy Lines, I think the main issue is that the functionality is already provided by the satchel charges (albeit in a bit more indiscreetly!). Because of this, the wirecutters run the risk of becoming a bit gimmicky with only certain points on the map being 'clippable' (chain link fences, barbed wire).

RO is supposed to represent battles instead of stealth missions and I just feel it would benefit from something which would enhance the 'intense fighting' atmosphere rather than spend extra dev time on a stealth-based (although it would be a nice feature to have).

Upvote 0
RO is supposed to represent battles instead of stealth missions and I just feel it would benefit from something which would enhance the 'intense fighting' atmosphere rather than spend extra dev time on a stealth-based (although it would be a nice feature to have).

There is one very good reason to have wirecutters instead of satchel charges if you need to destroy something: teamkills. If you haven't ever played KurlandKessel or StalingradKessel on 40+ player server, it might not seem that obvious but

Upvote 0
That's a player issue, and although I have seen that happen plenty of times it's not quite as common as you say (mainly Leningrad where there are multiple barrier and tanks and soldiers on the street). The other thing is, cutting through a fence or barbed wire is NOT FAST, it would take 20 seconds minimum for a fairly sparsely 'wired' fence and unlike the satchels, if you're killed while doing it, it isn't fail-safe (or fail deadly if you're the opposite team).

Upvote 0
But anyways, wire cutters were used IRL in ordinary attack missions. They were not some "commando stealth gear" used in "secret stealth missions" behind enemy lines. Wire cutters were general issue used very much by ordinary soldiers and combat engineers in ordinary attack missions, if there was barbwire needed to be cut.

So there really is no reason why not to add them, if you look at it from the realism perspective.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That's a player issue, and although I have seen that happen plenty of times it's not quite as common as you say (mainly Leningrad where there are multiple barrier and tanks and soldiers on the street). The other thing is, cutting through a fence or barbed wire is NOT FAST, it would take 20 seconds minimum for a fairly sparsely 'wired' fence and unlike the satchels, if you're killed while doing it, it isn't fail-safe (or fail deadly if you're the opposite team).

player issue yes, but the issue is that it's VERY common on any pub server running a map with destroyable fences like kurland or leningrad for example. literally almost everytime i play either of those maps in a pub game, an engineer will get kicked for tks by the end of the map. there's no stopping the stupidity of some pubbers, actually in this case, there is: wirecutters.

if you ever got the chance to play CC the implimentation of wirecutters was almost as perfect as i would imagine it could be. a fence would have three horizontal portions of fencing. all you had to do was snip the top two and people could walk over the bottom one. or you could snip the bottom and middle and allow players to crawl under them. while the time required to cut through a section of fence isn't spot on realistic, it's pretty accurate and works well for gameplay. wirecutters are especially effective under the cover of smoke as well.

would it be quicker to clear a mass of fencing with a satchel charge? sure, in some cases it would be. like leningrad for example, with a rows of fencing and barriers. however in some cases, like kurland for example where the fences are just one level, is it worth risking an auto kick for tks? hell no it isn't.

the game should at least provide engineers with the option to use either wirecutters or satchels given the situation. give them both. most troops during WW2 had wirecutters standard issue anyway so it'd not be unrealistic for an engineer to have them in addition to one or two satchel charges. at least that way, players will have the choice whether or not they want to risk getting autokicked or not ;)

Upvote 0
stop talking to me computer stop stop stop stop ill kill u computer stopp ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh i dont need to be in a crazy house ahhhh stop
199-guy-his-computer-keyboard.gif

Upvote 0
what if wire cutters and a satchel were part of the Engineer default loadout, and satchels and bangalore torpedos were avalible for engineers (or anyone) to pick up at the supply crates....

bangalore would do twice the damage as a single satchel and clear a wider area, but it comes in two sections of pipe, meaning you have to set one up under the wire, then scroll and select the 2nd part and click "fire" connect it to the first pipe, then click "fire" to start the 10 second fuse

...just a suggestion, because as it is now, just throwing a satchel and clearing wire is kinda....arcade-ish and boring to be honest, Id like to see the engineers have a broader kit selection for different duties in their field of work, and to actually have them do work in order to clear wire and obstacles, rather than run up to it, throw a charge, run away and boom....job done

Last edited:
Upvote 0
While the idea itself is nice, and it would undoubtedly be pretty cool to snip through a fence and get behind enemy lines to take out their sniper/MG/lay explosives a la Commandos: Behind Enemy Lines, I think the main issue is that the functionality is already provided by the satchel charges (albeit in a bit more indiscreetly!). Because of this, the wirecutters run the risk of becoming a bit gimmicky with only certain points on the map being 'clippable' (chain link fences, barbed wire).

That's YOUR concept of wire-cutter use. Now how about this, cut the barbed wire, etc.. and simply advance on an objective? Nothing to do with stealth or any other some-such activities. Although I'd approve of such uses.

Actually, RS/RO2 are supposed to represent the actual battles - all facets of the battles. Which of course, includes stealthily sneaking past wire obstacles. Again, I see nothing wrong with that tactic as it was quite common in WW2 Europe and Pacific.

Upvote 0
Most barbed wire obstacles are blowable with AT nades, so a special tool isn't necessary (not to mention the fact that modern hand grenades were created initially to deal with barbed wire, so no split with reality). If you want to make the life of engineers better, plant more destructible objects.

Anyway, cutting the barbed wire with a bulky tool that's worthless for anything else in the conditions of RO2 combat (i.e. almost constantly under fire. It's not a Commandos game) is kind of stupid and unrealistic. Bangalore torpedoes and similar devices on the other hand were the standard combat engineer tool for dealing with obstacles. You are much more likely to throw an explosive charge of sorts from a safe spot rather than crawl under fire to barbed wire and cut it. Finesse or stealth are not important here, your life is. (and if a barbed wire obstacle is not covered with small arms fire, it is not used correctly)

So there's really no problem with wire cutters' not being in the game.

Last edited:
Upvote 0