• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

WII Magazine's Best Games of 2006

Marquis24

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 8, 2006
I just flipped through the latets World War II magazine with the article "Best Games of 2006" Red Orchestra got a 3 and 1/2 stars, the high point was the realism the low point was that they didnt seem to stress the importance of the battles. Call of Duty 3 got 5 thats 5 stars. I believe it was because of the realism to :rolleyes:

hey, the original Medal of Honor: Allied Assault had some really cool maps the first time or two you played them. But once you figured out where all the enemies would pop up, it stopped being quite as exciting or interesting. For me, the big thing was when I noticed that if I stood on this exact spot, two enemy dogs would keep spawning to attack me, but if I took two steps in any direction, they'd stop showing up.

Upvote 0
Call of Duty is ssssooo overdramaticized that it really ruins the gameplay for me. I was just watching my roommate play CoD:UO in the map where a squad of Americans are fending off hordes of Krauts and Panzer4's incoming from around the house. It looked fun until the music queued in... uggh.

RO feels like a real battle. It has more realistic sounds, artillery going off in the background, and... no music! RO is, by far, a much more gripping experience.

Upvote 0
Singleplayer games with scripted events in overly dramatic scenes all over the place have a better chance to score than multiplayer games that depend on the people playing it after all.

Exactly.

But on the other hand, also some SP games may get bashed, like I remember one guy bashing Brothers in Arms so damm much because you don't do anything "important" in the game, like not storming Berlin or stealing Enigma code :p

Upvote 0
Tripwire could do a few things to make the game more noob-friendly without sacrificing realism, but unfortunately they seem to think the two are mutually exclusive.
No - in general, the two things AREN'T mutually exclusive - just depends on what you have in mind!

Don't forget the outcry when we changed the role names from German/Russian into English to make things easier for new players...

Upvote 0
No - in general, the two things AREN'T mutually exclusive - just depends on what you have in mind!

Don't forget the outcry when we changed the role names from German/Russian into English to make things easier for new players...

I think a lot of that had less to do with the content of the change, and more to do with the fear that the game would take a direction that the then-current community didn't like.

I mean, the community has grown and some stuff has changed, and some new attitudes have come into the community. Personally, I think on the whole RO maintains its original feel.

Mostly the outcry about things like "OMG!! THE SNIPER SCOPE KILL ICON IS ROOOINING THE GAME!!" are more about "Man, I came here from stupidly unrealistic games, and this change makes me worry that in an attempt to appeal to the masses, the nature of this game that I love is going to change. That would piss me off."

Upvote 0

Why did you guys dump all those great load screens and start menu+music? They were far superior to what we have now in everyway. Much of the class and atmosphere is gone because of that. Now we have load screens that only serve to confuse new players by showing a different map than they are currently loading and providing zero hints or tips + the old screen(s) just looked classy. Using game screenshots for the load screens would make more sense if it was a screenshot of the actual map loading. Now I admit that RO wasn't hard for me to get the hang of because I'm a veteran of online realistic/semi-realistic FPS's but for other prospective players hints & tips on the load screens would go a long way toward reducing the clueless noob syndrome (learning curve) without impacting how the game actually plays. I don't think tips are ever a bad thing. Back on atmosphere: The old menu font even though it was "fake" Russian still looked cool and was 100% more appropriate than the generic "whatever" font now in use. Using those ethnic fonts all throughout the menu and sub menus would be great and add 100% improvement to the atmosphere. Menu music: The lack of music in Ostfront is crazy!.....the game is called Red Orchestra. If that isn't an invitation to include epic orchestral menu music I don't know what is. I don't mean to offend but none of these changes make any sense to me. Like I said the menu & load screens weren't broke IMO.

Upvote 0
No, Brother in Arms got trashed because it is BORING. It is a scripted shooting gallery but instead of ducks floating by it is Germans. You get by the tougher objectives by playing the same three minutes over and over until you learn which window to aim at in what order. ZZzzzz

It SOUNDED great, as the scenery was highly researched and looks like the actual streets and houses, etc. The events were very similar to real life experiences, down to coming in when they enemy was sitting down to dinner or where an mg emplacement was. But the AI is still soulless robots.

Also the ENTIRE game is based on two things only - laying down suppressing fire and then moving around to attack from the flank. Every scenario, every map, all the time. The enemy AI even calls out "Flank them" in German so you know when they are going to do the same to you.

The big whoop de doo special effect is a freeze and zoom out feature, so it looks like a modern documentary showing you the positions of both sides, so you can better plan your flanking move. This becomes boring after like the second attempt.

The multiplayer allows two people per side to play along with bots.

All the tie ins to the History Channel TV shows in the world couldn't change the fact the game was boring. COD was much more entertaining in single player and in multiplayer well no comparison. Only RO has better multiplayer than MOH and with the right realism mods COD is very close.

Upvote 0