• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Why no 3D VOIP?

Listen to hypno, He knows what hes talking about.

Anybody who has witnessed the magic of teamwork in RnL knows that 3d voip is absolutely vital to teamwork.

Few games immerse me like RnL does. I miss the days over multiple populated servers.
Even now though, you can get into a semi full server and be overwhelmed with the tactical opportunities that come from using teamwork through 3d VOIP.

Upvote 0
They had this in RO1
It was called "local" .
I never saw anyone use it and I only used it once to tell a fritz that he needed to die :D

This exactly, it has never worked properly, not worth the development cost, . If this ever worked right would destroy the commander roll. please find a real way to make the game better.

Reactions: Snuffeldjuret
Upvote 0
They had this in RO1
It was called "local" .
I never saw anyone use it and I only used it once to tell a fritz that he needed to die :D

I never even realized "local" existed until two months before the beta release of RO2, and I had been playing RO:OST for five years prior to that.

I dont think it was bound to a key by default, and not many people change the voice channels to start with.

Hopefully it does get re-implemented though... just in a more obvious form :p

Last edited:
Upvote 0
3D VOIP: Immersive, easy to use, promotes public teamplay and is convenient.

Hold on a second, that doesn't fit RO2's gameplay at all! ;)

Last parts a joke right? Anyways sure clans use 3rd part programs, but the 3D voip would go all the way with PUBLIC TEAMPLAY

We gotta have it eventually, ill even give an extra ten bucks for it :D Gimme some

Upvote 0
I never even realized "local" existed until two months before the beta release of RO2, and I had been playing RO:OST for five years prior to that.

I dont think it was bound to a key by default, and not many people change the voice channels to start with.

Hopefully it does get re-implemented though... just in a more obvious form :p

It also never worked as far as i could tell

Upvote 0
There seem to be 2 kind of ppl when it comes to 3D voip; Those that think that it is a good addition and those that haven't tried it :)

RO1's local voice chat was not 3D afaik, and it stopped working after 33rd player joined the server anyways, so no one used it.

A huge topic about 3d voip in the suggestion sub-forum:
http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=49446[url]http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=49446[/URL]

Hockeywarrior pretty much explained in the #6th post how the feature was (with erroneous logic) belittled by TWI and shunted away as just a "pet feature" from another game that isn't RO2. No one from TWI has so far responded to this valid critic of their dismissing the feature with faulty rationale. I doubt they ever will.

It was said about million times that no matter which and how they implement the voip to the game, ppl will always circumvent the system by using 3rd party comms, always. I would argue that adding a 3D voip on top of existing channels would actually diminish the use of 3rd party comms.

Anyway, few important things that has to be looked into if 3D voip is included in the game;

1) There must be a easier and fast way to identify and mute the spammers. This is really, really important.
2) Server side option to make the 3D voip team specific.
This may sound unrealistic but it is just a matter of time when frustrated teenagers will use the channel to nothing but insult the enemy players.

I would like to emphasize that 3D voip will not make the game superduper teamwork oriented and it will not be the best feature ever and savior of all mankind but it sure would bring some more immersion to the game and help out on the teamwork aspect, if and only if implemented correctly and with appropriate options (muting etc.). If it is implemented like the current squad system (not thought thru), it will most likely do more harm than good.

Personally I would place my bets on the non-TWI-related mod teams to implement 3D voip.

Ps. expect this topic to be locked in no time.

Upvote 0
My opinion is that 3D VOIP should be standard for all and team VOIP should be for commander and squad leaders ONLY. You've to tell where the enemy tank is? Inform your squad leader to pass the message and keep team VOIP clear from any comm chat. If your squad leader is dead then your squad is on your own, private.

I think that will make squad leaders more important members of the teams and we should see more squadplay since you'll be able to communicate only with those around you. It's also easier to shout: "Don't go in there! Sniper!" or "Grenade!" with 3D VOIP rather than press team VOIP and say the same to everyone.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
3D VOIP is something I first experienced in ArmA. What an INCREDIBLE INNOVATION! Can't believe how much it did for the game experience. I rank it with headtracking and the dedicated 3D graphics card (3DFX Voodoo, wohooo) in amazingness. In ArmA, I would actually talk to these individual (or groups) of soldiers of both the mission and of personal things. Get to know them a bit. Later I might hear a familiar voice when passing by groups of people and go "Is that you? Remember me from the other day" etc. :) Fun. Granted, ArmA is extremely slow and campy compared to RO2, but still. Overhearing the enemy talk was also one of those mindblowingly cool things. Hearing them talk to each other, unknowing of what is nearby. And often after ambushing some of them, they go "WTF WAS THAT?" "Hey dude, are you there? Respond!" - and the guy can't respond because he was shot unconscious or dead :)

And yeah, the current public, team and squad channels have issues in that while you can make sure everyone hears you, it is nearly impossible to tell someone near you something of importance, such as "There is an MG prone around the corner, NOOO DON'T RUN THERE" or "**** my grenade bounced back, RUUUN", or "SATCHEL, STAND BAAAACK". Simultaneously, there is more needless voice communication heard that has no relevance to yourself.

The automatic speech system in the game is really great though, and I give tripwire lots of credit for it. So much important information is relayed through it that I think many people here overlook and take for granted. It would be nice if it was expanded upon. A few more voices for example, to make it easier to distinguish between different players around you (hard when all sound so similar). More 3D sound effects to help spatializing the sound too.

Upvote 0
First off, their audio solution is imperfect. It's putting a lot of strain on the CPU as it is, instead of a different implementation.

Second, options for 3d VoIP have been built into the game. They're not turned on though. (Like, perhaps, the hit to performance was way too much.) They didn't overlook 3d VoIP at all, they simply couldn't get it working. Whether they CAN get working with their current audio implementation is up in the air. Compared to the laundry list of things to be addressed, it's a low priority for them.

Upvote 0
From my experience in arma, even amongst people who you do know well 3d voip made the game about 300% more organic. Bs'ing in the back of the striker on the way somewhere's, seeing peoples mouths move, and for once being able to find someone in a group without them having to stick their gun up in the air.

That is with a coordinated bunch, on pub play anything that facilitates organic teamwork is a blessing. Built in 3d voip on such mods as Rnl facilitates you joining a server with people you have never played with before and organizing and working together. I had some AMAZING experiences in my time playing RnL just joining a random server, getting a bunch of guys to stick together and kicking some ***.
(and yes it was also hilarious in RnL to talk to the enemies...:D)

Upvote 0
3D voip is cool...until you need to strategize with people on the other side of the map

You want to strategize with your enemy?

Squad mates can spawn on squad leader. They only need to take orders from him. Commander radio's squad leaders and tell them where to go. It's perfect. the 3d voice system would make the squad leader more squad leader like and encourage people to stick closer to him.

Upvote 0