• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Why no 3D VOIP?

Nezzer

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 3, 2010
Porto Alegre, RS
Is it hard to implement? Is it against some RO principle? Because in my eyes it would improve the teamplay IMMENSELY on pub servers. I know this has been suggested several times, but now that the game's out we have a better view on how such feature would be in-game.

It's completely different hearing someone saying "follow me" or "enemy over there" on global VOIP than on 3D VOIP (yeah I know there's the voice commands, but nobody really pays attention to them or take them seriously). Hearing that coming out of the other guy's avatar is something that encourages you to stick together. It's not necessary to remove global team VOIP to implement 3D VOIP, but only having the option to use 3D would already be great. When larger maps are out, it could be vital for a good team coordination.

Reactions: >F|R< Sarcinelli
Devs said something about they couldn't get it to work with the engine or something. I agree with you, in RnL it makes it so much more fun, tactical, friendly and social. I was hoping when it was in early development the Devs would implement 3D voice with a completely function radio system with squad radiomen and the radios in points.

Reactions: Leweegibo
Upvote 0
it will be implemented, devs said so.....
The devs, especially Ramm, have been very much against 3D VOIP.

Why? I honestly have no idea. I seem to recall it having something to do with Ramm thinking that it didn't matter to implement 3D VOIP because people would just use 3rd party chat services to communicate with eachother.

But that's only a good argument if we were arguing that RO2 should ONLY have 3D VOIP, and no team/server VOIP (currently in-game) which would be silly. I think 3D VOIP would be an amazing addition to the game. It's just another communication tool that is there for people who want to use it and doesn't interfere with the game for those who don't.

I've always found it very very practical in games that feature 3D VOIP. It's so nice to be able to shout something like "Grenade!" to only the people around you to get their attention, or give local orders to nearby soldiers -- in these scenarios, team VOIP would be totally useless because either everyone in the server would look around panicked for a grenade, or no one would pay attention since its over the team channel.

I don't think its a priority right now, with bigger issues like performance, stats, and gameplay problems (lots of SMGs, rare weapons, etc), but I'd like to see it added in later on for sure.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The devs, especially Ramm, have been very against 3D VOIP.

Why? I honestly have no idea. I seem to recall it having something to do with Ramm thinking that it didn't matter to implement 3D VOIP because people would just use 3rd party chat services to communicate with eachother.

But that's only a good argument if we were arguing that RO2 should ONLY have 3D VOIP, and no team/server VOIP (currently in-game) which would be silly. I think 3D VOIP would be an amazing addition to the game. It's just another communication tool that is there for people who want to use it and doesn't interfere with the game for those who don't.

I've always found it very very practical in games that feature 3D VOIP. It's so nice to be able to shout something like "Grenade!" to only the people around you to get their attention -- in this scenario, team VOIP would be totally useless because either everyone in the server would look around panicked for a grenade, or no one would pay attention since its over the team channel.

I don't think its a priority right now, with bigger issues like performance, stats, and gameplay problems (lots of SMGs, rare weapons, etc), but I'd like to see it added in later on for sure.

+1
I totally agree, 3D VOIP woud increase atmosphere and teamplay so much!

Reactions: Wulffrik
Upvote 0
3D voip is cool...until you need to strategize with people on the other side of the map
... which is what regular team VOIP is for. No one here is suggesting that they throw out existing VOIP options. All this thread is asking for is to give us an extra option. There are already different VOIP channels in RO2 (server, team, squad, etc) -- why not add a "local" option?

Reactions: Hypno Toad
Upvote 0
... which is what regular team VOIP is for. No one here is suggesting that they throw out existing VOIP options. All this thread is asking for is to give us an extra option. There are already different VOIP channels in RO2 (server, team, squad, etc) -- why not add a "local" option?

Likewise, If 3d voip was including, I'd hope there'd also be a checkbox option to make it the "default channel" for those who use it frequently. Having to switch between channels while being shot at is far too arduous of a task.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Wouldn't it just be easier to use Mumble?

Don't other people have to be using mumble (and be on your mumble server) to hear you talk?

The benefit of a built-in local channel wouldn't be to have a 3D voip gimmick, it'd be to have a close range, built in voice system so you can talk to nearby teammates without hassle. The 3D aspect just makes it better as it creates a locational element, but the premise is to have a close-range voice channel so you can communicate properly in a public game.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Never played a game with this feature. I think it would make a lot of sense with RO2 though. When someone sais "LOOKOUT DUDE THERES A GUY RIGHT THERE" making the whole team go oh shi-.

Or when someone tries to be the team leader and someone else decides to try and tell them to stfu. Get to listen to that for a good 10 minutes.

Upvote 0
A picture is worth a thousand words, a video is worth a million :p

Cant claim its as impressive as your video, but this is a public, unorganized game in mod with local chat only; it became 3d local later on, but for this version it was just a radius limited effect.. works the same in practice though.

Resistance and Liberation - Alpha 3 - YouTube

Notice you dont have people blaring useless info over a team chat, and the only voices you hear are people who are in the immediate area.

There was no squad system, no hud, and not a single forced teamwork incentive, it was a bare-bones mod. Teamwork is what happens when you gift people with the ability to make words come out of their mouth.

Upvote 0