• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Whitelisted Maps Indicator

Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but here we go...

It would be great if there was some way to actively differentiate white-listed maps from non-white-listed maps, perhaps by changing the font color for the map titles. This way, players can distinguish whether a map is white-listed or not while they are choosing a map to play/voting for the next map.

Something simple, like a red font for non-white-listed maps and a green font for white-listed-maps would be amazing. Or perhaps just gray out the non-white-listed maps. Anything to distinguish them would be phenomenal.

My server currently runs 60+ maps, and it's frustrating when I can't distinguish which maps need to be updated, etc. Especially when maps in the "Final Maps" forum have releases such as "Final v1" and "Final v2", etc.

Anyone have any input on this?

The whitelist was an emergency fix really so I'm not surprized that it got left out in the begining.

I'd prefer an icon instead of a font colour and it's definately a good idea. I usually start the round with a head shot and see if it's clocked a point but of course that's too awkward with server maintenance.

As for the FINAL thing I can also understand because hardly anyone tries out the Betas and so they end up as FINALs, which then gets feedback and so has to be updated.

Check out KFmods.com and look at how many maps get downloaded in the beta and final sections, I've also noticed this with my download tracker when I advertise community maps on the Steam forums. A map with FINAL in it will get downloaded at least a 1000 times where as a Beta might only get 20 downloads.

Personally I think TW should release some kind of optional Beta Tool (on steam) that automatically updates everyones custom map files once a week. So mappers can upload to an assigned server and on a set day like sunday the program will only download the new version maps (deleting the old ones). This Would be great for both user and server (host).

Steam is fussy about the content that can be downloaded so the maps would have to be hosted somewhere else but the tool installer can be held on steam.

Upvote 0
Whatever the case may be, something to indicate which maps are white-listed and which aren't would be grand, especially at this point where the community has released nearly 100 maps (or more).

It also would save the devs a ton of time updating their text-based white-list inventory on the forums here, as well as saving the community a ton of confusion (case in point: there was recently a fiasco regarding KF-RefugeV2 being on the textual white-list, yet not truly being white-listed because the mapper swapped out the map under the same name). Beyond that, I can list numerous occasions in which I have played certain maps earning perk status, and the following day I play a 10-wave game on the same map and earn nothing, because it has suddenly been black-listed (I know, I certainly play for the fun of the game. However, now and again I like my work to pay off for something). I understand the necessity of the white-list, but its current back-and-forth nature is a little too much to handle in that regard.

Some kind of in-game indication would cut out the middle-man and give a clear, definitive list of maps that are either white-listed or not, regardless of what the textual list might infer.

Upvote 0
I'd like to see a "smart" playlist added that would be something along the lines of "Your Whitelisted Maps." Each time you start the game with internet available, it updates the playlist with all of your maps installed that are whitelisted.

This would be a huge help to me, as I have around two dozen maps installed and don't follow the whitelist thread to know which ones are currently enabled or not.

Upvote 0
I'd like to see a "smart" playlist added that would be something along the lines of "Your Whitelisted Maps." Each time you start the game with internet available, it updates the playlist with all of your maps installed that are whitelisted.

This would be a huge help to me, as I have around two dozen maps installed and don't follow the whitelist thread to know which ones are currently enabled or not.

This would be much more difficult to implement, as now you're speaking about hosting files on a centralized server that stream to all users on a daily basis, as I understand it. Personally, I think it's asking a little too much from the devs, as no other game I'm aware of (some of which are backed by billion-dollar corporations) have that kind of service implemented regarding custom content.

However, regarding your idea, perhaps something like that could be implemented by a third-party. I know the Sandcrawler network has hosted a large amount of custom maps and what-not, as well as indexed them in an organized way. I'm sure some type of third-party tool could be implemented to grab daily updates to maps from them (such as a batch file). However, this puts a ton of pressure on these other networks to keep naming conventions standardized, etc.

However, a nice little white-list indicator/icon next to the maps would be much appreciated and hopefully easy to implement.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but here we go...

It would be great if there was some way to actively differentiate white-listed maps from non-white-listed maps, perhaps by changing the font color for the map titles. This way, players can distinguish whether a map is white-listed or not while they are choosing a map to play/voting for the next map.

Something simple, like a red font for non-white-listed maps and a green font for white-listed-maps would be amazing. Or perhaps just gray out the non-white-listed maps. Anything to distinguish them would be phenomenal.

I had suggested it in this thread:
[url]http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=38684[/URL]

I'm pretty sure that no one read my particular reply because it took too much effort. The whole whitelist idea is bunk, but at least this would make it a little more bearable.

Upvote 0