• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Which is better ARMA2 or OPF2

Trouble brewing...

Quote Maruk :
Bohemia Interactive made the following press release today:
For immediate release.
The name game: Codemasters’ marketing of new “Operation Flashpoint” creates confusion, provokes protest.

“Since Codemasters has no right to use the Bohemia Interactive game engine or any other component of the Bohemia-developed game, how can it rightfully claim to produce a ‘sequel’?” asks Bohemia Interactive CEO Marek Spanel.

Only to be expected..
http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard311/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST&f=59&t=77485&

Upvote 0
I predict they'll both be crap.

OFP2 was hyped as being a worthy OFP follow up and milsim title. But, what gameplay footage they have shown looks like something between a tactical shooter and BF2 on a larger scale. It's a cash cow aiming to take a well known name and spoon feed it to action FPS fans world wide, of course with all the usual pitfalls of cross platform development added in. It may end up being an outstanding action/tactical game in it's own right, but deserving of the OFP name it certainly won't be.

ArmA2 won't be terrible, but what it will be is stale. You can expect the same old clunky movement system, crappy animations, crappy AI, crappy vehicle implementation and vehicle hitpoint system (which allows a ****ing tank to be destroyed by enough MG fire). All this will be shoehorned into the same old engine with some fairly major graphical upgrades, which for me is the worrying part when you look at how atrocious the performance was with ArmA. They seem to be dead set on making an engrossing campaign this time and hopefully they will, but BIS persist to overlook the glaring issues their game engine has in the control dept. Screw new wiz bang graphics, if they could get some semblance of fluidity into the controls and handling of your character and have it look decent and run well the experience would be 100% better in my opinion.

These are just my cynical opinions at the moment and they are subject to change as I learn more about each title, but right now I am pretty non-plussed about both.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I predict they'll both be crap.

OFP2 was hyped as being a worthy OFP follow up and milsim title. But, what gameplay footage they have shown looks like something between a tactical shooter and BF2 on a larger scale. It's a cash cow aiming to take a well known name and spoon feed it to action FPS fans world wide, of course with all the usual pitfalls of cross platform development added in. It may end up being an outstanding action/tactical game in it's own right, but deserving of the OFP name it certainly won't be.

ArmA2 won't be terrible, but what it will be is stale. You can expect the same old clunky movement system, crappy animations, crappy AI, crappy vehicle implementation and vehicle hitpoint system (which allows a ****ing tank to be destroyed by enough MG fire). All this will be shoehorned into the same old engine with some fairly major graphical upgrades, which for me is the worrying part when you look at how atrocious the performance was with ArmA. They seem to be dead set on making an engrossing campaign this time and hopefully they will, but BIS persist to overlook the glaring issues their game engine has in the control dept. Screw new wiz bang graphics, if they could get some semblance of fluidity into the controls and handling of your character and have it look decent and run well the experience would be 100% better in my opinion.

These are just my cynical opinions at the moment and they are subject to change as I learn more about each title, but right now I am pretty non-plussed about both.

I fully agree with this post

Upvote 0