• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Crash] When i start up with Win7

shadowmoses

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 14, 2006
hey guys,
i just switch from vista to Win7 and i tried booting up the old RO ready to play with the set up when i get a crash.
now i have duel monitors and my second monitor flashes and trips out before crashing. : (
i run Win7 64, Core2 Duo, Radion 4870.
the exact error i got is as follows:

----
Build RedOrchestra_Build_[2005-11-27_10.48]
CPU: GenuineIntel PentiumPro-class processor @ 3168 MHz with 4094MB RAM
Video: ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series (678)

Error setting display mode: CreateDevice failed (80070057). Please delete your RedOrchestra.ini file if this error prevents you from starting the game.

History: UD3D9RenderDevice::UnSetRes <- CreateDevice <- UD3D9RenderDevice::SetRes <- HandleBigChange <- UD3D9RenderDevice::Lock <- UViewport::Lock <- UWindowsViewport::Lock <- UGameEngine::Draw <- UWindowsViewport::Repaint <- UWindowsClient::Tick <- ClientTick <- UGameEngine::Tick <- Level Untitled <- UpdateWorld <- MainLoop <- FMallocWindows::Free <- FMallocWindows::Realloc <- 4C576C61 0 FArray <- FArray::Realloc <- 0*2 <- FMallocWindows::Free
----

anyone have any ideas about what it might be thats wrong? ive tried changing the compatibility but to no avail.
hope someone can help
Thanks all:)

***UPDATE***
I just tried changing the startup fullscreen from true to false in the .ini and the game started up in windowed.
so that does infact work. but i want to be able to have it in fullscreen with my duel monitors-- assuming that the monitors are the ussue.

Last edited:
It's something that occasionally seems to happen with Windows 7 and dual monitors. What works for me is if the screens start flickering:

1. Press Alt + Return to switch the game to windowed mode
  2. Go into the settings and set the resolution to the correct size
  3. Click fullscreen
After that it should work from then on in fullscreen. I think what happens is that because of the window bezel in Windows 7 it stretches just over the size of the monitor when it tries to make it fullscreen, and then tries to put it on the first monitor, and then the second monitor, then back to the first etc until it crashes.

Upvote 0
It's something that occasionally seems to happen with Windows 7 and dual monitors. What works for me is if the screens start flickering:

1. Press Alt + Return to switch the game to windowed mode
  2. Go into the settings and set the resolution to the correct size
  3. Click fullscreen
After that it should work from then on in fullscreen. I think what happens is that because of the window bezel in Windows 7 it stretches just over the size of the monitor when it tries to make it fullscreen, and then tries to put it on the first monitor, and then the second monitor, then back to the first etc until it crashes.

Tried this but it didnt work. i got into windowed and then changed the resolution to 1680X1020 or what ever it is and as soon as i went into fullscreen it started flickering on my second monitor and black screen on my first

Upvote 0