• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

When did you gain interest in RO?

When did you gain interest in RO?

• Total voters
I played within the first year of the mod RO:CA ,but didn't really get into it until Ost released.Been hooked every since no other game even comes close to the experience RO gives me.Most are way too arcadish it makes me sick or are too slow paced a sim to hold my interest for long.For me RO is a perfect happy medium between the two high action with some realism features.While I have not always agreed with the direction HoS was trying to take im happy its still within its roots and improving going in the right direction.

I am one of the few Ost vets that is not disgruntled

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I gained interest in RO2 some time between it was announced and before it was released. I did notice its announcement, but since nothing was happening, and I was perfectly content with RO1 and played it daily I didn't really follow the development, especially since its release dragged on. It was only a couple of months before release that I noticed they were actually serious about relelasing a sequel, and then I began paying attention.

Edit: Oh, just noticed this is about RO, not RO2. Scratch the above then.

Upvote 0
I remember it like it was yesterday.

I still very much loved games like UT99, and while UT2K4 was somewhat lacking, I still dedicated a lot of time to it. For a change of pace I decided to try out a few custom maps, and came across a few for really war torn areas. That sparked the craving for more, and soon I caught wind of Red Orchestra, and lucky me CA was just getting its trailer out and I was full blown hype.

Loved it ever since.

Upvote 0
I started Ostfront about 2010. Missed out on the initial surge of players on release, but still had a hell of a time. I can say the OST was my savior when it came to WW2 FPS, being a bit obsessive about the eastern front there were pretty much no FPS giving an authentic portrayal of it. I know nothing about the mod days, but from what i hear from old timers it was something of a legend. :D

Upvote 0
You need to add another category for those of us who have been around since before Combined Arms released. If you do, then I'll check that box! Granted, I doubt there are many of us still lurking these forums.

I started playing RO mod around version 2.0 or so. Those were the times when my PC struggled to handle the UE2 engine, and RO mod was the best-looking WWII FPS to date.

It's been a loooooong road.

Upvote 0
Our clan used to play and host a COD/UO server. After COD2 came out we all naturally got that and played it, but most of us didn't like it much so we went back to COD/UO. Then a clan member mentioned that ROOST was coming out in two days and it was on sale cheap. We all figured we would give it a try and purchased it. What the hell, for that price you couldn't lose right? I loved it when it came out but most of my clan didn't like it much because it was really buggy, I actually had more problems with ROOST than ROHOS; but I stuck with it because I saw it for what it could be after the bug fixing.

Upvote 0
You need to add another category for those of us who have been around since before Combined Arms released.

Yup, RO-CA was late in the RO-Mod's life, there was plenty of RO to play before then.

I've been tagging along since the very first Alpha release for UT2003, i had been playing the Infiltration mod (UT99) till then, but at this time the Inf team was worn out from years of modding and were calling it a day, so it was time to look twords greener pastures.

Well lo and behold, along comes a small gun mutator calling itself "Red Orchestra", it was basic, just a proof of concept release that contained only one gun (i'm pretty sure it was the Kar98K IIRC, and it had a fully animated sling back then), it was really just a "sniper-arena" style mutator in it's first release. But what a gun it was, it was so well made that i knew this was a mod i had to follow, and so i did.

Funny thought, are any of the Dev's from way back then still with us?

Upvote 0
The first I saw of it was fall 2005 when the pre-release trailer for Ost came out. I knew I had to have it just from watching that. I knew it was a mod and I could have gotten into CA at the tail end there, but I waited through the winter and got Ost as soon as it came out. It was the first Steam game I ever got.

I am one of the few Ost vets that is not disgruntled

I think I'm another one, but I still have my gripes about most of the stock maps. The core game-play is solid, and the improvements over Ost are significant.

Upvote 0
So, I thought that it would be interesting to see how long each community member have been playing RO. Personally, I have been playing since the release of OSTFRONT with small gap between.

The poll question says "when did you gain interest in?" not "when did you start playing?" so which is it? I certainly was interested in Ostfront when I first saw the release gameplay vids but I didn't end up buying it for years.

Upvote 0