• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] What's your most disappointing purchase of 2013

Eventhough no purchase because of being a tester, I must say: Rising Storm

Same errors as RO2 and that's it.

A close 2nd: Rome 2

Tried to get into it, but it is simply laughable that the AI hasn't really improved since the first Rome TW. If you learn how to beat the AI (which you will after 15 minutes), you should not lose a single battle in an entire campaign. After you have conquered approx. 10 provinces on the campaign map, it's simply a "move army from A to B, battle, click next round, recover, move from A to B".
Strategy as deep as a cup of coffee...

Upvote 0
A close 2nd: Rome 2

Tried to get into it, but it is simply laughable that the AI hasn't really improved since the first Rome TW.
The Rome 1 AI was able to use siege equipment, didn't charged through your lines.. ignoring everything to get to the stupid capture flags and it atleast moved instead of doing nothing till the timer runs out.

The AI is worse than what a normal modder could do in a single month.. and I think that's what CA is doing.. waiting for mods to fix the game. Kinda like RO2s vehiclesssss.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The problem with CS is that it has a relative large hard core fan base and as soon as you release a CS game that changes things, being innovative and is just different from the old CS system the hard core fan base will turn against you and will scream you dumbed down CS to please the COD kiddies.
The only thing Valve can do is update the engine, add some gamemodes and some new weapons but if it doesn't look and play like CS people will be very upset.

Look at RO 2, TWI tried to change some things but a lot of the loyal fans of RO were so upset by it, myself included.

Well on the flipside look at Team Fortress Classic and Team Fortress 2. Both extremely different in my eyes. TFC had as many players at one time as CS, but they changed just about everything in the game.... Yet it's always one of the most played games on Steam, even before it went free.

I still prefer TFC over TF2, but this goes to show that if they decided to branch out on CS and do something different, I'm sure they would still have a lot of players to lean on.

I also used to play Day of Defeat all the time and when DoD Source came out I looked at some trailers and thought "wow" this is going to be great.... But it turned out much like CS.... Same as the mod. Small maps, same mechanics, no real innovation. I actually prefer the old mod more, despite its dated graphics and game mechanics.

It just feels more crowded, less coordination and no matter where you go, it's like several enemies are right beside you and behind you to chew you up..... It's actually worse than BF or CoD, mostly because of the small map sizes.

I know it can be difficult to break from a formula that has worked well in the past, but jeez, even Super Mario makes a few changes here and there.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The issue isn't with improvement/changes, the issue is if the changes undermine what made the series what it was originally.

RO, for example, featured realistic, high attention to detail gameplay. The arcade mode, unlocks, and team death match really goes against what the game was. Likewise, the concept of Splinter Cell Conviction turned what was a stealth action game into a broad daylight bum street fighter game. The fans of the series complained, and luckily Ubisoft went back to the drawing board. Though I am not sure how the final game turned out as I have not played it.

Upvote 0
Legend of Dungeon; Roguelikes is something I also must avoid, I just get annoyed when I die and have to restart. Getting old I guess.

I really like Roguelikes personally, but LoD feels like a disappointment to me too. And compared to other top down, tile-based roguelikes, LoD is all presentation and very, very little substance. I think I made it down to Level 20 on my first attempt, and there was a paucity of things to do or enjoy. I'm sure the game opens up a little bit after that, but still. I typically save scum in Roguelikes to avoid the frustration but LoD doesn't allow for it, and it's honestly not good enough to for me to want to bother. Great music though, which is what actually sold me on the game.

Upvote 0
Far Cry 3 - I don't know what it was, but something about that game left me feeling very, very disappointed. I wasn't even looking forward to the release, I played it and just felt disappointed.

Rome 2 - I preordered this game and I seriously couldn't wait to play it, so I was excited as **** for about half an hour when I started my first campaign. After that, I felt like throwing a brick through my monitor. I've never come across worse AI in my life. Total War never had stellar AI, but at least they didn't make completely moronic decisions every 5 minutes. Whole armies charging through ONE UNIT of pikemen just so they can converge like retards onto a capture point which shouldn't have been there in the first place. Battles between some of the most sophisticated armies of their time turning into a Slayer show. Units that WONT ****ING STAY IN FORMATION. Armies that will run towards the ocean, leaving their one and only city undefended so they can sail half way across the world to attack one of your settlements. Even typing about this game is making me angry.

Colonial Marines - I'm a massive fan of the Alien franchise so I preordered this game. The footage from the 2011 E3 was SO GOOD but in the end, what we got was a game that felt like it was made in 2007, with a story that was written by someone with severe mental problems. I will never, ever, ever buy a Gearbox product ever again. I seriously hope that lawsuit costs every one of them their jobs.

Upvote 0
Fallout new vegas? Really? That is a great game.

I didn buy many games this year, but the most dissappointing, although not a bad game per se, would have been Battlefield 3. (i got it fro $10)

These games feel like the mobile phone shooters X within a Micheal bay film and very so linear.

Yeh the story is OK, but it just leads you everywhere holding your hand. I dont really consider that gaming.
The sound, graphics and action scenes are really amazing, but i never really feel like it is a game, more like a 3D interactive movie where i get told to "stand here", which to be honest i am not interested in and i am finding many games look like that now.

Upvote 0
Three stick out in my mind:

1. Rome II: Total War. For the very same reasons other people here have mentioned.

2. Max Payne 1 and 2. I bought them during a Steam sale because I wanted to play the first two Max Payne games before I played Max Payne 3. However, Steam's store page on the games neglected to mention that NEITHER GAME CAN RUN ON WINDOWS 7. They may have changed it, I'm not sure. But come on! The original Mafia from 2002 can run on Windows 7!

3. Ghost Recon: Future Soldier. This was sort of my fault. I picked it up super cheap at Gamestop just to see what the online community was like on the PC version (I've played and still have the 360 version). Turns out it's dead as a doorknob. Oh well...

Upvote 0
m sale because I wanted to play the first two Max Payne games before I played Max Payne 3. However, Steam's store page on the games neglected to mention that NEITHER GAME CAN RUN ON WINDOWS 7. They may have changed it, I'm not sure. But come on! The original Mafia from 2002 can run on Windows 7!

They run on windows 7. I played them several times on Win7 x64, and the only thing you need is the soundfix (a file called MaxPayneSoundPatchv1.12)

Upvote 0
Battlefield 4:

A huge buggy mess, a BF 3.5, expensive as **** and way to early.
Nothing more to say.

But I didn't spend any money on this game (I've won it as a prize), so i got this going for me, which is nice!

Amen on BF4. The inherent mechanics changes are an improvement over BF3, but the crashing, awful server infrastructure, slew of bugs and pisspoor patches, and constant bull**** from DICE is just too much to deal with.

Upvote 0
Scorchers DLC for Rage.

I liked the base game, but after downloading the whole thing again to play the DLC, I just got bored after an hour. didn't even reached the DLC content.

Another thing I'm starting to regret is Arma 3 and CS:GO because multiplayer in both games runs terrible for me (to make it worse, I don't even like any of the CS games, but decided to buy it to play with my friends)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Scorchers DLC for Rage.

I liked the base game, but after downloading the whole thing again to play the DLC, I just got bored after an hour. didn't even reached the DLC content.

I picked up Scorchers as well last summer but not sure I want to play through Rage again anytime soon. It's not bad but I could see myself getting bored as well :p

Upvote 0
I picked up Scorchers as well last summer but not sure I want to play through Rage again anytime soon. It's not bad but I could see myself getting bored as well :p

I installed Rage again to play Scorchers a while ago, I played on the hardest difficulty and I really enjoyed the game more. You have to seek cover and not just run and gun the whole time. I was about halfway in the game until other games got my attention, problem was even though it was fun it's still a linear game and playing it a second time was pointless after finishing the DLC part.

Upvote 0