• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

what's the benefit to folding the bipod?

Trotskygrad

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 14, 2011
on top of corner ruins
from what I've seen, folding the bipod is pretty much useless and makes recoil undeployed, firing from shoulder, worse.

IMO, it should be the same or slightly better (perhaps because the character is holding onto the bipod?)

right now, it seems like a nice but pointless feature.

Also the M60 third person folded bipod doesn't match the M60 first person folded bipod.

Have you ever used the level 50 BAR in Rising storm 1.

It's very useful for long range engagements with the ability to mount it. Combined with the slower rate of fire setting. But sometimes you don't want to be locked in the deployed state. You would keep getting into situations where you needed to quickly aim and fire a shot. But there would be a cover node in front of you and your guy would go through the entire deploy animation and your aim would be off once it finished. Often resulting in your death.

Folding the bipod in RS2 means you don't run into this problem.

Reactions: SoFGR1
Upvote 0
Lemonater47;n2287440 said:
Have you ever used the level 50 BAR in Rising storm 1.

It's very useful for long range engagements with the ability to mount it. Combined with the slower rate of fire setting. But sometimes you don't want to be locked in the deployed state. You would keep getting into situations where you needed to quickly aim and fire a shot. But there would be a cover node in front of you and your guy would go through the entire deploy animation and your aim would be off once it finished. Often resulting in your death.

Folding the bipod in RS2 means you don't run into this problem.

my point still stands that it should nto worsen the recoil characteristics

Upvote 0
Lemonater47;n2287456 said:
I don't feel a difference and don't think there is a difference.

eh, playing with the LMGs a bit it seems to be a bit worse with the RPD, but I could be wrong. For the M60 it's about the same. Either way, I wouldn't mind a slight buff to the "soft deployed" recoil of the LMGs, as it's ridiculously worse than the hard deployed recoil. I think reducing the vertical recoil to about 20% more than the hard deployed version and reducing the horizontal recoil to 50% of the hard deployed version would be good.

Upvote 0
Just an autistic idea, but technically shouldn't resting the weapon on the bipod provide more stability but less accuracy? The M60's bipod is mounted on the barrel of the weapon and rather far forward at that, which messes with barrel harmonics as well as creates slight flex in the barrel that has the ability to send rounds flying off trajectory in a manner that is noticeable at longer engagement distances.

Upvote 0
FR4NCH3K;n2287667 said:
Just an autistic idea, but technically shouldn't resting the weapon on the bipod provide more stability but less accuracy? The M60's bipod is mounted on the barrel of the weapon and rather far forward at that, which messes with barrel harmonics as well as creates slight flex in the barrel that has the ability to send rounds flying off trajectory in a manner that is noticeable at longer engagement distances.
In the most basic sense, yes, having a bipod(or anything for that matter) contacting the barrel of your weapon will mess with barrel harmonics. However the effect is usually only really noticeable if you're clamping a ton of stuff to the barrel and/or shooting at pretty far ranges(500 meters or further I'd say). The bipod would also effect barrel harmonics regardless of it being deployed or not, since no matter what it's still in contact with the barrel. Heavier barrels, however, are effected less by outside mediums contacting the barrel. Since we're talking about a machine gun which typically have heavy barrels to prolong their life the effect of the bipod has on practical accuracy(engagements from 0-300 meters) is going to be very minuscule imo.

Also all barrels in virtually every gun flex when they're fired, it's not a strong indicator of accuracy or lack of accuracy.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
exhausted;n2287778 said:
When used correctly, folding the bipod will save your life. It helps you go prone and get emergency shots off without taking the extra seconds to set up the bipod. Having to set the bipod up gives the enemy a few seconds to shoot you where you can do nothing back.

I think you're looking at it wrong: He's saying there's no reason to FOLD the bipod, not to UNFOLD the bipod.

Upvote 0
FR4NCH3K;n2287781 said:
I think you're looking at it wrong: He's saying there's no reason to FOLD the bipod, not to UNFOLD the bipod.

I think you misunderstood his English it wasn't the clearest, I had to read it twice. But what he was doing was stating the reason as to why you want the bipod folded in certain situations. By "set up the bipod" I assume he means "mounting" the gun on cover. Which takes time he explains. With the bipod folded you don't mount your gun so you can aim faster.

Reactions: exhausted
Upvote 0
Lemonater47;n2287788 said:
I think you misunderstood his English it wasn't the clearest, I had to read it twice. But what he was doing was stating the reason as to why you want the bipod folded in certain situations. By "set up the bipod" I assume he means "mounting" the gun on cover. Which takes time he explains. With the bipod folded you don't mount your gun so you can aim faster.

Oh, maybe I am a victim of not reading things properly, but that does indeed make sense. I personally use the bipod folded for that reason while only unfolding it on defense or if I know I'm going to have a few seconds to setup because I'm further back and not the first target.

Reactions: exhausted
Upvote 0
FR4NCH3K;n2287781 said:

Sorry for confusing you. To be clear, I'm in favor of retracting the bipod so you can sight in and fire at the enemy without wasting a few seconds with the bipod, which btw usually get you killed

Last edited:
Reactions: FR4NCH3K
Upvote 0