• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

What will it take to save RO?

I stopped playing RO for TF2 when it became clear that the former wasn't working with my crappy, high-latency network connection. I kept it installed for ages, waiting for a chance to play again, but whenever I did (i.e. my laptop was somewhere with a decent connection) I just couldn't be bothered with RO for some reason. I ended up uninstalling it now, once again with a decent connection to the net, I'm too apathetic about the game to give it another chance. Even though I've had more fun with it than almost anything else. It's odd.

I hope that helps someone. :p

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I stopped playing RO for TF2 when it became clear that the former wasn't working with my crappy, high-latency network connection. I kept it installed for ages, waiting for a chance to play again, but whenever I did (i.e. my laptop was somewhere with a decent connection) I just couldn't be bothered with RO for some reason. I ended up uninstalling it now, once again with a decent connection to the net, I'm too apathetic about the game to give it another chance. Even though I've had more fun with it than almost anything else. It's odd.

I hope that helps someone. :p

Maybe i did not understand well your post , but me too , i had to move in a small town with very bad internet connexion while i had max ping of 35-40 before with Adsl2+, so i stopped playing RO for some time cause it felt unplayable for me in my new home , i stopped nearly a year , but with the new mods like DH , i reinstalled and learnt to play with an awful ping , and it's really something to play RO again with some friends , even though you cannot really be accurate like before cause of the crap ping , it forces you to be much more careful , i really love this game and hope the community and people like you stick with RO until RO2 , cheers m8

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I am a long time player of red orchestra.

Recently very often when I want to join a server I get file mismatches or I have to donload (especially on DH Servers) some "any_tex" which takes ages to download.

Also there are CC servers showing up on the servers display with 15 oer more active players, but when I have joined there is not anybody but myself.

I think this is very annoing and this is the thing that makes RO online play die.

I therefore petitiobon the RO-Server admins to standarise their files.

Upvote 0
drop the price of the game. I know that will bring me back, and bring in a bunch of new players. And i mean drop the price for good, not for 3 days, and then bring it back. You guys have to remember, the game is kinda old now, and there are other games out there.

RO is 20 bucks, someone that has 30 bucks might just decide to save up another 20 and get a brand new game where there are alot more people playing.

if the game drops to 10 bucks, even 5, i know i will buy it. I dont know what happened to my steam account that had the game, i think it got hacked or something, so now i cant play it. For some reason a couple days ago i remembered about this game and felt like playing it after stopping for a good year and a half...

Also more infantry servers. I remember when i use to play, there was alot of 24/7 tank maps...

Upvote 0
I think the game is already pretty cheap. Every time the game is dropped to five or ten dollars, you get new players alright, but all they do is complain about the game in chat or teamkill for no reason. They think that because the game is five dollars, then it must be crap and therefore they can come and do whatever they want on the servers. Sure you also get players who will enjoy the game and be excited to learn how to play, but if someone really wants to play the game, they'll pay the current price.

Even though the game is old, it would be doing injustice to the game by dropping the price that low. If I thought this game wasn't up to modern standards I wouldn't be playing it for three years. Leave the five dollar price tags to the arcade games like 3D Pinball.

Upvote 0
or, the price could be dropped get a bunch of new good players and players that are also bad who tk. Then this is the part where good servers come, with good admins.

if some dick starts tk people for no reason, he will be obviously kicked.... So i really don't see how the game will go wrong.

Americas Army is free, and that's really the only reason there are so many players on it, sure some people might have bought it but because its free there are more players.

Im obviously not saying RO should be free, but around 10 bucks, or if you really wanna go crazy 5 bucks for a while then back up to 10. there will be a bunch of new players, and the bad ones will just get kicked or banned like always.

Ro wont end up like and arcade game like pinball just because the game will be 5 bucks. If Ro stays to its standards it will always be RO no matter the price. The only diffrence is that there will be more players...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
for every new 100 players, maybe 50 are non-douchebags. out of those 50 good players, maybe 20 get hooked on the game and continue to play the game after 2 weeks. talking a 20% holdover rate. each $5 sale we see it and with each $5 sale the community does gain some new players. If that $5 sale was permanent, imagine the ammount of players that would continue to poor in.

Like garcia said, all of the good popular servers have admins who know what to do with asshats. The bad gets weeded out and they go back to their other games while the rest of the people have fun and enjoy RO for what it's worth.

Yes people still do play this game. RO/DH and maybe even more MN when the next update comes. Think of it as advertisement for ROHOS. The more people that buy RO (and the free mods) and get hooked into the community, the more people hear the name "Tripwire Interactive" and the more potential customers for the NEXT big game are reached.

Not saying people won't/don't buy the game at $15, but look at the $5 sales; you're talking 100s of copies sold in one day. Yes, a permanent drop in price would lower the short term potential profit for TW, but the increase in potential customers would increase potential profit in the LONGRUN i.e. ROHOS ;)

Upvote 0
for every new 100 players, maybe 50 are non-douchebags. out of those 50 good players, maybe 20 get hooked on the game and continue to play the game after 2 weeks. talking a 20% holdover rate. each $5 sale we see it and with each $5 sale the community does gain some new players. If that $5 sale was permanent, imagine the ammount of players that would continue to poor in.

exactly, and I'm sure everyone knew that Americas Army is a recruiting tool.

and i just found out right now that apparently RO is working on a Squeal lol, so i think now is the best time, especially since that new mod came out.

Or maybe wait till the new mod fixes some of its bugs if there are any, i haven't played it. But if the game goes to 5, there will be a bunch of new players.

No one buys an arcade game for 5 bucks, but imagine a full game such as RO? Especially since the new mod lets you play as Americans as well?

I say out of all the choices that are there, the best one is the one that for some reason isn't there, to drop the price.

Obviously all the other choices will help the game. So i say all of them, including the price drop. Oh, and more Infantry Servers.

Not saying people won't/don't buy the game at $15, but look at the $5 sales; you're talking 100s of copies sold in one day. Yes, a permanent drop in price would lower the short term potential profit for TW, but the increase in potential customers would increase potential profit in the LONGRUN i.e. ROHOS ;)

Upvote 0
Well i have been saying many times that RO should be some day free.
Like the Americans army is for recruitin puroposes. RO1 as a free would
be great to advertiseing purposes few months before RO2 will be relased.

And people allways want to lynch me after that.

And well 15 isnt cheap. You can get allkind of great games with just 10
example:
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon 9,99
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced WF 9,99
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Vegas 9,99
Day Of Defeat Source 9.99
Btohers in Arms: Road to Hill 30 9,99
Company Of Heroes 9,99

Upvote 0
Just today I was playing, and someone mentioned that they got the game for $5. They and a few others agreed that it was the best $5 they ever spent. And who knows about those who agree with that but didn't type anything in chat? Not saying I would expect TW to, as I'm sure a lot of money is going into HoS. But it would be one of the best deals...in the world really, lol.

Upvote 0