• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

What is the purpose of Zed teleporting?

Deathgrip22

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 27, 2015
"Zed Teleport - Revamp this system so that it serves the intended purpose, without breaking the illusion (too much)"

What is the intended purpose, just a quick fix for path finding problems? Because two things:
KF1 enemies never seemed to have a problem getting to the players once they were moving (not stuck on spawn box, etc).
And, I have never thought to myself in a Horde game of any type: "You know, I wish all these enemies with melee attacks that I kill with ranged weapons would magically appear everywhere around me."

Really, zeds should only teleport when it's required to get them unstuck.

Random teleporting ruins horde management, in terms of making decisions based on where you think they are and where they're going. Sortof essential to a Horde game.

(yes, it's this thread again, ye old purveyors of observation)

Yes, it is that thread again, but valid nonetheless, it is asking a pertinent question.

I would like to know the answer too, I actually stopped playing KF2 not because of the lack of current content, but because having Zeds teleport behind you while you are welding a door to keep them out destroyed the immersion and removed the strategies that made KF1 such fun to play.

It would be great if the TWI community manager could amplify this statement.

Upvote 0
Two of our core goals with KF 2 was to making both camping and kiting more exciting and fun.

Now game backends always cheat (gasp, I know this is a big shocker), especially with AI. But in a perfect world the end user won't even notice it is there or doing anything. We are making changes to get us closer to that goal.

(The GIANT WHITE ELEPHANT TO THAT IS THAT PEOPLE CAN AND WILL PICK APART THE CODE BASE)

Upvote 0
I was wondering this myself today; I know it's a talked about topic but I never really said a proper piece on it. I will say, one thing that annoys me about it is solo play. I know TWI aren't balancing for solo, fair enough, but it does suck that they come from literally wherever I am not looking at the time, gets me killed so often.

Upvote 0
It is by far the most annoying and negative feature in this game IMO. It just feels frustrating and makes luck too much of a factor.

Not much you can do when you turn a corner and 3 sirens that you saw behind you a little while ago teleport right into your face. It leads to a very annoying and frustrating insta-death.

Exactly what I was talking about :D

Upvote 0
The answer to your question is easy. To make game less lame, predictible, generic like first one was. And more dynamic, deadly, challanging, excting.

Hopefully they'll prevent big boys and hurt zeds to teleport as that brakes immerssion.

Pretty much this...

My hope is that teleports happen away from view and are coordinated w./ what is happening in terms of priority AI tactic.

Upvote 0
It is by far the most annoying and negative feature in this game IMO. It just feels frustrating and makes luck too much of a factor.

Not much you can do when you turn a corner and 3 sirens that you saw behind you a little while ago teleport right into your face. It leads to a very annoying and frustrating insta-death.

Appreciate your view but I barely notice it.... and if youre a good enough player you can and should be planning for such things. (Not saying anyone isnt a good player if they dont but the risk is manageable.)

Just my 2cents.

Upvote 0
People are going to be shocked when they fix teleporting and there is still a HUGE problem. What a lot of people think is teleporting is really just a VERY agressive zed spawn system which makes them spawn or teleport RIGHT IN YOUR FACE. That is the root of the problem, not just teleporting. As long as Zeds spawn everywhere this will continue to be an issue.

For me its a deal breaker. It makes the game a lot less tactical, more spammy, less fun, and a huge departure from what made the original game fun. While I have a massive amount of respect for TWI, I am not a fan of the direction this game is headed and honestly perhaps I am no longer their target demo. Hopefully a mod will come along that will make the game more enjoyable for us KF1 vets.

No regrets getting into the EA and supporting one of my favorite dev teams. The quality of their work on this game is amazing as is their level of community involment. I just am not fond of some of the core design decisions they have made on this game. It might just not be for me and thats ok.

Upvote 0
In an ideal world, zeds would only spawn in off-map areas, that means behind barricades and other access points etc. However, in order to keep the game tempo, they would have to spawn in greatly larger numbers, which then would bring even most powerful PC's to their knees, melt severs, etc. :D Teleporting aims to get around this problem by keeping limited amount of zeds on the map at once and moving them around to create the illusion of the horde coming from all the directions. However, it is so poorly designed at the moment, it completely breaks the very immersion that it's trying to create, by introducing purely magical events.

Things that should be done are:

- increase the minimal distance from the player at which zed can be spawned (not applicable to natural entry points like manholes, behind barricades, etc)

- when all zeds are spawned (zeds left <= max zeds at once), teleporting should be completely disabled, period.

- there should be some mechanism that calculates remaining team's strength and decreases number or even bans certain types of zeds that can be teleported accordingly (so the last man standing doesn't run into a wall of scrakes around the corner).

- player vision should be calculated as a sphere around him, not a cone in front of him (which would prevent things like 'I just turned my back for a second and now zed that was behind me is in another place altogether')

Now, what are the TWI's ideas for dealing with this... we will see in the near future.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The answer to your question is easy. To make game less lame, predictible, generic like first one was. And more dynamic, deadly, challanging, excting.

But it is predictable. I know that every door I open has the same Bloat behind it. It is lame and not even remotely exiting.

btw, not sure if you devs heard this yet, but teleporting zeds could use some attention.

Upvote 0
Appreciate your view but I barely notice it.... and if youre a good enough player you can and should be planning for such things. (Not saying anyone isnt a good player if they dont but the risk is manageable.)

Just my 2cents.

Are you sure you're playing this on HoE or suicidal at least? Cause it's not a big deal on hard and below, even on suicidal mostly.

Okay try to plan this.
Your team died all of a sudden, you're barely survived with low hp(~25) somehow and trying to run away. Now few sirens that were chasing you just teleported in front of you, so convinient! Turn left and run for your life - What? Another siren with bunch of zeds in the doorway ffs? Let's try if we can go right! Damn? Another siren!?

I had such situation few times, when they just cornered me from every possible way, and there was nowhere to run anymore.

Upvote 0
Are you sure you're playing this on HoE or suicidal at least? Cause it's not a big deal on hard and below, even on suicidal mostly.

Okay try to plan this.
Your team died all of a sudden, you're barely survived with low hp(~25) somehow and trying to run away. Now few sirens that were chasing you just teleported in front of you, so convinient! Turn left and run for your life - What? Another siren with bunch of zeds in the doorway ffs? Let's try if we can go right! Damn? Another siren!?

I had such situation few times, when they just cornered me from every possible way, and there was nowhere to run anymore.

It's also a pain in the *** when you get seperated from a group of kiting players, even if you know where they'll go you get surrounded all-of-a-sudden before you can try to regroup.

It feels cheap. Like in L4D, except in that the special infected occurred sporadically, you generally had a chance to regroup.

I get they don't want players ramboing, but I also feel the game is already plenty good at discouraging that through class balance

Upvote 0