• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

KF What is it?

It is sort of a legal grey area I believe (I am not a lawyer so do not take my word as final here). But I do not believe there is anything outright illegal about that.

I read you loud clear, discretion is advised.

How does The Ball fair up against Killing Floor? Are they similar in terms of structure and scripting? i know they're different versions of UE, The Ball is UE3? Does The Ball have a UDK?

And just another small question, how are achievements handled? Not just in KF, but in general. Are they client side? And thus in the case of a stand alone project, can they be added, customised etc...?

Thanks again for all of your support ;)

Upvote 0
I read you loud clear, discretion is advised.

How does The Ball fair up against Killing Floor? Are they similar in terms of structure and scripting? i know they're different versions of UE, The Ball is UE3? Does The Ball have a UDK?

And just another small question, how are achievements handled? Not just in KF, but in general. Are they client side? And thus in the case of a stand alone project, can they be added, customised etc...?

Thanks again for all of your support ;)

The Ball is a UDK project and doesn't have a full engine license (as far as I am aware). Achievements can be done clientside but you need a deal with Valve if you want to use Steamworks achievements.

Upvote 0
There was never a 2.5 UDK. Unless you plan on modifying the engine you don't need engine source; UDK will do.
It really depends on what you want to do. If you need to modify the engine, then you'd need a license from Unreal anyway (they don't provide engine source without a full license).

Most use cases won't need to modify the engine though, and the UDK (w/royalties starting at 50k sales for commercial projects) will work just fine.
Full engine license (UDK did not exist for that engine). We also have a full engine license for Red Orchestra 2/Rising Storm.

Depending on what you want to do, there are some cheaper engines out there that will get you access to the source code, or I believe there is a version of the CryTek engine distributed similarly to the UDK that will get you access to the source (or at least parts of it).
Excellent. Thanks for the info, guys!
As for the engine, I'm certain about using UDK. What I want to make is a multiplayer arena shooter, which of course is very well-fitted to UDK, and I really like the physics in Unreal Engine. Though come to think of it, one of the versions of id Tech would probably also work well.
I also like that royalties-after-50k deal, that's very nice.

Would I be right in thinking that because my project has no intention of a public release that I could work from Killing Floor to build a prototype for personal use? After all no one would have access to it or even see it but me.
Like the others I'm not an expert so take this with a grain of salt, but I am virtually absolutely certain that as long as your project is accessible by you and only you, you're free to do whatever you want. Much like if you've bought a commercial product that isn't software, you can do whatever you want with it.

Upvote 0
The Ball is a UDK project and doesn't have a full engine license (as far as I am aware). Achievements can be done clientside but you need a deal with Valve if you want to use Steamworks achievements.

I see, I will steer clear of The Ball for now.
In terms of the client side achievements, the plan is that the prototype game is played in single player, would the player still be able to obtain the achievements without Valves steamworks for test purposes? And would this translate to the in game achievements menu showing that achievements are indeed unlocked. Or does steamworks have to be activated for it to change the in game achievement menu?

As always, thank you very much.

Upvote 0
You can set up your own achievements menu in game without using the Steamworks backend.

I'm liking what I am hearing. So we've covered achievements, what about unlockable content? Like KF does with the special event characters and weapons. Not the ones you buy, the ones you obtain through completing certain tasks, is that available in the same way achievements are? And if so, is it possible to set it to unlock levels/maps too?

Honestly, thank you so much, this is invaluable information!

Upvote 0
I'm liking what I am hearing. So we've covered achievements, what about unlockable content? Like KF does with the special event characters and weapons. Not the ones you buy, the ones you obtain through completing certain tasks, is that available in the same way achievements are? And if so, is it possible to set it to unlock levels/maps too?

Honestly, thank you so much, this is invaluable information!

You would have to roll your own system here. We made our own based off the Steamworks backend.

Upvote 0
You would have to roll your own system here. We made our own based off the Steamworks backend.

Hmm I see. This is going to sound silly probably, but when you refer to Steamworks backend... what is that? Is it just a term for saying all of the stats and details are stored on a Steam Server and that's how they're accessed?

And just to be clear, If I managed to somehow develop an unlocking system client side, I get the feeling that I could actually use it for unlocking Levels/maps as well as weapons and characters?

Thank you once again, you're so helpful it is untrue. It's like getting a crash course in KF-UE development, just out of this world how interesting I find all this stuff.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Um excuse me me and other linux users have waited for the update for ages and not hear anything yet so you can go away :cool:

Well let's say you may get an infraction for this AND the message you left on my profile. Moderators please take a look as I would take a screenshot of it but it can not be viewed here, so will be pointless.

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
It's an API designed to provide games with certain access to features offered by Steam. https://partner.steamgames.com/documentation/

UDK comes steamworks integrated (the engine code already there) but its functionality is dependent of the game actually being distributed by Steam.

That's brilliant thank you.

I'm beginning to think the theory is a lot more easier than the practical product.

It's sounding like the KF-UE has all the tools in there to make magic happen, it's just a case of adding the ingredients in the right order, which is no small task.

Thank you for all of your help. I'm sure I will be back with more questions further down the line.

Upvote 0
It's an API designed to provide games with certain access to features offered by Steam. https://partner.steamgames.com/documentation/

UDK comes steamworks integrated (the engine code already there) but its functionality is dependent of the game actually being distributed by Steam.

What exactly do you mean? Sorry as I am doing a project with UDK myself.

Upvote 0