• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

What do you think of Steam?

What do you think of Steam?

• Total voters

Butters

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 3, 2006
Windsor, Ontario
I personaly love steam, it enables mass distribution and updating/patches easily. I cant understand why people complain about it, maybe the ones who hate it are new and they dont understand. Ive had Steam since the old Counter-Strike days and I have never had a bad experience with it, their customer support is amazing and downloading patches for you. I cant think of a better program to manage your games, I wish that more PC games ran off of Steam..

Many people hate steam because it can cause quite a few problems, but most of them already have been solved or have more likely to do with your own computer and the dude sitting in front of it - not with steam itself.

I had some rather small problems with steam, but could solve those quickly. I also like the fact that several of my online games are connected through the same platform.

I wish you could search for Red Orchestra servers in the Steam Server-Window! Is it technically possible to do that or is that server-browser limited to games based on half-life?

Upvote 0
Reznor said:
Many people hate steam because it can cause quite a few problems, but most of them already have been solved or have more likely to do with your own computer and the dude sitting in front of it - not with steam itself.

I had some rather small problems with steam, but could solve those quickly. I also like the fact that several of my online games are connected through the same platform.

I wish you could search for Red Orchestra servers in the Steam Server-Window! Is it technically possible to do that or is that server-browser limited to games based on half-life?

Thats a good point, alot of the time when people I know ***** about steam its becuase they have a crap computer them selves. Some people may have problems with it because they have other applications running when they have it up wich can cause slow download rates when updating a game or lag when playing. And i think server browsing through the Steam Server-Window is limited to Valve made games for now, but I dont even use that window often so I dont have an issue with that.

Upvote 0
It has its pros and cons just like any other program.

Pros:
1. Free
2. Auto update
3. Steam Friends (before it was shut down, and then brought up again as a beta, it worked pretty good and you could invite your friends to play chess or checkers or whatever other games it came with).
4. VAC (banning an account is more effective then anything I've seen, IP ban is ineffective, and MAC address ban only works if the guy doesn't have more than 1 PC).
5. Buying games over it means you can never lose a CD since its tied to your account.
6. It helped RO and TW become a success because its cheaper than getting published through retail only. Plus everyone can see other games that steam supports so word spreads quickly.
7. Steam backup.
8. Steam support. Has very useful FAQ, as long as you filter out most of through quick and easy search.
Cons:
1. No refund policy.
2. Downloads are slightly slower than finding a website and dl it from there
3. Buggy (can't go any further, that way madness lies).
4. Uses up extra PC resources.
5. Unless you have offline mode enabled before you internet connection goes down you can't play anything (at least thats how I think it works).
6. You have to install all games into the steam directory, meaning you better pick the best spot when you install steam for the first time or your screwed. Unless you uninstall steam and all your games and then reinstall into the place you want.
7. Steam backup (meant to be both a pro and con since I've had problems with it, could be just me though).
8. Steam support. No live person to talk to.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Cthulhu said:
My friend came over and downloaded a wallhack or whateve thing for Counter Strike: Source,
well kick your "friend" in the nuts for me (is REALLY dispise cheating), and get him to get you a refund.
he's the asshat that wanted to cheat, let him pay for the damage.
i for one love it that steam is so hard on cheaters.

8. Steam support. No live person to talk to.
just make a account at steampowerd support (not the forum).
they fixed my CC problem in just over 24 houres.

Upvote 0
Personal, and unbiasedly (is that a word?), I had little problems with it, and I think online distrubution is definately the way of the future.. with more and more people getting broadband, and the atrributable cost of shelf-space in a brick-and-mortar, it's a natural progression.
(plus it's enviromentally friendly!.. *shrug*)

The other very cool sideeffect is that it lets smaller game companies retain most of thier IP (since it's a lower risk distrubution method.. no pre-sale manufacturing costs that is...), plus get 'equal time'..
I think this has worked well for both Tripwire, and Introversion (makers of Darwinia).. (i'm unsure of the other game companies like the makers of Rag-Doll Kung Fu..etc..)

Upvote 0
Cthulhu said:
I voted it was alright, but now I feel otherwise.

My friend came over and downloaded a wallhack or whateve thing for Counter Strike: Source, and now I'm banned from any server with VAC secure on it...

I hate him...

Hahahahaha, you need some new friends. :p

I haven't had any problems with Steam. Only one or two times when I was playing a non-Steam game and the Steam News thing popped up and lagged me... but then I learned to just turn Steam off when I'm playing other stuff.

Upvote 0
Cthulhu said:
I voted it was alright, but now I feel otherwise.

My friend came over and downloaded a wallhack or whateve thing for Counter Strike: Source, and now I'm banned from any server with VAC secure on it...

I hate him...
Heh, well that must suck buddy, you shouldnt of let him download that knowing VAC was gonna ban you. My account was hacked and when Steam Support got it back (they responded to me super quick), it was VAC banned and they wouldnt un ban it so i was forced to buy CS all over again, they are extremly strict with cheating and i think that its a good thing. Although I was kinda disappointed that they wuoldnt unban me so i was pretty much forced to buy CS again. And i bought ROOST through Steam and for me it downloaded and installed super quick with no problems. Another good thing about it is when you buy one of thier games from the store you dont need to take the time to install the CDs, you can just activate the games with the CD key through your account which saves time if you have fast internet. To me theres no better way to play your games when you have Steam :D

Upvote 0