• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

What do you think of Steam?

What do you think of Steam?

• Total voters
It's great!
Been using it since the first beta and never had any problem with it whatsoever.

It's a great system to keep your games up-to-date all the time.
I really hate it when I have to scout for patches on the web.
Most game sites don't even fature them under Downloads but some obscure location.
Then, when you finally found it, you have to queue at Fileplanet or some other crap sitebecause the game company can't be arsed to host the patch themselves!

Also, it's about the best copy protection I have come around.
No more disc swapping, no incompatibilites (Star Force, urgh!).

I have it installed on both my main rig and my laptop so I can play whenever I want.
Additionally, I could use any PC with net access to play my games and don't even have to carry the discs around.

Of course, I wouldn't be so happy if I hadn't got broadband.
Even though, I backed-up all the GCFs so I don't have to redownload them every time.

I do miss having the game box in my shelf a bit though.
This always looks cool!
(yes, it's due to me buying the stuff online; I know that I could have opted for the retail version so not that big a deal here).

Upvote 0
ripa said:
I can live without it. Steam is great for patch distribution, etc, but when it goes down, there is no alternative, like there would be without Steam (try another mirror, etc). I think the best solution would be for Steam to be optional. I see no reason in requiring it to run in the background all the time.
Thats a good point, but how often does it go down... like never. Having it optional would kinda take away the whole point of it being there, it doesnt take up much to leave it runing anyway. Oh and I like how when your updating a patch but you want to play a diffrent game the download automaticaly pauses so that you dont get major lag and when you close the game it automaticaly starts again. And I like how when your in a game yuo wont get any Steam popups that would minimize or crash the game while your playing.

Upvote 0
Cant say too much, because Im not gonna be using it, but can say that I think its utterly ridiculous that you have to be connected to the Net to play a SP game. Hell, thats why I only buy games with a SP part, so I can still play if I lose my connection. Also have been told to have to re-verify every time you log on. Not bothered by verifiying once, but EVERY TIME? Screw that! Steam server finder I dont need, Ill use the in-game one, or ASE(or something similar), the D/L of patches/games and such? PFFT! I just go to someplace like Fileshack/planet/front/mirror, and D/L from there. As for D/Ling a full game, HELL NO! I WANT to go to the regular store, might see something else that catches my eye, and can stop at McDonalds or something on the way back :D. Only bought one game online, because I couldnt find it in stores, had it delivered(only took 4 days, patience is the magic word). If,(for a reason I cant think of) I NEED to find a friend, Id use a program like Xfire or something(dont have it installed, or the setup). Basically, I have absolutely no use for Steam. The online distibution is a good thing, making it easier for smaller companies to publish games, but Steam needs some competition(that doesnt want so much info).

Upvote 0
Donut said:
Cant say too much, because Im not gonna be using it, but can say that I think its utterly ridiculous that you have to be connected to the Net to play a SP game.
Eh, where did you get that from?
I'm not sure whether they changed things in the meantime (because as of now I'm perma-connected to the net) but when I was w/o inet connection for six weeks last year I could play all STEAM games no trouble involed.
Just make sure you didn't check the "delete local content" box and not save your log-in info on the PC (which you wouldn't unless it's a public machine) and you're set.

Also have been told to have to re-verify every time you log on. Not bothered by verifiying once, but EVERY TIME? Screw that!
Don't know what you mean by verifying exactly but there's nothing running on my machine apart from the log-in procedure, which takes about five seconds (like any log-in would take, ie for IM).
It's definately not taking up much time nor rescources so even if it did do it, it certainly does not bother me.

Upvote 0
Donut said:
Not on purose, you wouldnt, but if you do accidentaly, youre stuck...
Well, if you accidentially uninstalled the game, you'd be stuck, too, if you don't have the CD anywhere close... (ie when I'm on my laptop).
Now, I don't know about you, but I don't play around with the STEAM options on a daily basis ;)
And you cannot happen to make this mistake from inside the game options (which you'd change more often I'd figure).

Obviously not. I meant that it checks your CD key every time you go online, with certain games, from what Ive heard, and thats just silly, if accurate. Resources arent a concern for me, nor is the login, Ive done logins before for other games, its no problem(but not for IM, I dont use it).
I'm by far not an expert on STEAM (that wouldbe the Valve guys) but AFAIK there's no CD keys anymore.
That's what you have STEAM for.
IE when I ported my old HL1 key over to STEAM, it would get tied permanently to my account and the account info is what's used to verify.
Meaning you can play on an PC with internet connection w/o having to carry the CD around nor the CD keys.
You only need your account name (ususally your email address) and your PW - and you get access to +30 games.

So, even if it was checking your key each time (which, I think, it doesn't, because there's virtaully no key anymore), how would that pose a problem?
I haven't had any login troubles nor "key in use" messages appear on my screen since the switch from WON to STEAM with HL and comparing the mod RO to retail ROOST.

Upvote 0
Helmi said:
Well, if you accidentially uninstalled the game, you'd be stuck, too, if you don't have the CD anywhere close... (ie when I'm on my laptop).
Now, I don't know about you, but I don't play around with the STEAM options on a daily basis ;)
And you cannot happen to make this mistake from inside the game options (which you'd change more often I'd figure).

I'm by far not an expert on STEAM (that wouldbe the Valve guys) but AFAIK there's no CD keys anymore.
That's what you have STEAM for.
IE when I ported my old HL1 key over to STEAM, it would get tied permanently to my account and the account info is what's used to verify.
Meaning you can play on an PC with internet connection w/o having to carry the CD around nor the CD keys.
You only need your account name (ususally your email address) and your PW - and you get access to +30 games.

So, even if it was checking your key each time (which, I think, it doesn't, because there's virtaully no key anymore), how would that pose a problem?
I haven't had any login troubles nor "key in use" messages appear on my screen since the switch from WON to STEAM with HL and comparing the mod RO to retail ROOST.

Obviously, but I ONLY buy games with CD's(or DVDs), I only have 6 games that dont need a CD(4 RPG,2 FPS), all free D/Ls, except Joint Ops.

No, IF I had Steam, it would only give me the ability to play ROO, Valves games(unless thats changed), and some others maybe. I have no other need for it, and dont want those games(including ROO) THAT badly. I dont feel I should have to download a program in order to play a game. My preference would be 3 steps
1. buy game at store
2. go home, install game
3 go online and play
Thats all it should be(with, of course, the requisite anti cheat software(other than PB, because its WAY too nosy).

Not EXACTLY a cd key, but something similar, all you should do when you play the first time is, install, login, verify, play. 2nd time(and all after) should be login, play. But it might/might not do that, IDK, I dont bother with checking up on it.

Upvote 0
Donut said:
Obviously, but I ONLY buy games with CD's(or DVDs), I only have 6 games that dont need a CD(4 RPG,2 FPS), all free D/Ls, except Joint Ops.

So, does that mean if you go mobile (ie laptop or LAN party), you'd always take your CDs/DVDs with you or what are you going to imply?

Personally, I crack all of my games if they require a disk on the drive to run because I cannot be bothered to reach for the disk just because I'm currently feeling like playing this game or the other.
Suffice to say it would be insane both because of the weight and the risk to damage/lose them to carry the disks around with my laptop.

Also, STEAM is the first time ever I bought games online so naturally I own a lot of games on disks.
D2D and the like simply isn't for me and when I have the chance to buy retail, I do so.

No, IF I had Steam, it would only give me the ability to play ROO, Valves games(unless thats changed), and some others maybe.
You can play around 30 games provided you bought them of course ;)
If you still have the CD key of some older Valve games you can enable them in STEAM.
Of course this does not keep you from installing the game from your retail disks and playing them in SP mode as you did before so you don't lose anything (apart from the fact that once a game is bound to your account it cannot be removed again so you couldn't sell games - which is about the biggest negative side of STEAM IMO!)

I have no other need for it, and dont want those games(including ROO) THAT badly. I dont feel I should have to download a program in order to play a game. My preference would be 3 steps
1. buy game at store
2. go home, install game
3 go online and play
Thats all it should be(with, of course, the requisite anti cheat software(other than PB, because its WAY too nosy).

Since STEAM is first and foremost a distribution system step 1 and first part of 2 are no longer needed.
If you're going to play MP via inet anyway, there's no difference using STEAM or the conventional retail version actually.
With the difference that STEAM will automatically patch your game to the latest version so you don't have to hunt for patches any more.

I agree, though, that it is annoying you still have to "verify" your retail game online, even if you only want to play SP (ie HL

Upvote 0
Helmi said:
So, does that mean if you go mobile (ie laptop or LAN party), you'd always take your CDs/DVDs with you or what are you going to imply?

Personally, I crack all of my games if they require a disk on the drive to run because I cannot be bothered to reach for the disk just because I'm currently feeling like playing this game or the other.
Suffice to say it would be insane both because of the weight and the risk to damage/lose them to carry the disks around with my laptop.

Also, STEAM is the first time ever I bought games online so naturally I own a lot of games on disks.
D2D and the like simply isn't for me and when I have the chance to buy retail, I do so.

You can play around 30 games provided you bought them of course ;)
If you still have the CD key of some older Valve games you can enable them in STEAM.
Of course this does not keep you from installing the game from your retail disks and playing them in SP mode as you did before so you don't lose anything (apart from the fact that once a game is bound to your account it cannot be removed again so you couldn't sell games - which is about the biggest negative side of STEAM IMO!)

Since STEAM is first and foremost a distribution system step 1 and first part of 2 are no longer needed.
If you're going to play MP via inet anyway, there's no difference using STEAM or the conventional retail version actually.
With the difference that STEAM will automatically patch your game to the latest version so you don't have to hunt for patches any more.

I agree, though, that it is annoying you still have to "verify" your retail game online, even if you only want to play SP (ie HL

Upvote 0
Donut said:
Yes it does, I use Gamedrive to store a clone of the CD on my hard drive for safekeeping. Doesnt work with all my games, but most work.

PFFFT! Naughty AND lazy! I have no problem swapping disks around.
Well, I'm also creating images of my CDs and mount them in Daemon Tools.
And no, I don't mind swapping the image but I hate having to take the CD out of the game box, out of the jewel case, insert it into my drive for playing maybe 30min and then putting it back each time.
And yes, I would put it back actually because I like my games to be stored properly.
So, yeah.

No, of course not! When I installed CoD, I needed to enter my CD key(like some check that would be done automatically by main server).
See, with STEAM, you don't even have to do that anymore ;)

I also like to see it so you dont have to login everytime Steam is acessed(to play online), like a cookie or something.
It actually does work like a cookie, as it auto logs-in (as I wrote before).
Same as visiting this Forum with cookies enabled, as the user you don't really notice the log-in.
Works all in the background so to speak.

Upvote 0
Helmi said:
Well, I'm also creating images of my CDs and mount them in Daemon Tools.
And no, I don't mind swapping the image but I hate having to take the CD out of the game box, out of the jewel case, insert it into my drive for playing maybe 30min and then putting it back each time.
And yes, I would put it back actually because I like my games to be stored properly.
So, yeah.

See, with STEAM, you don't even have to do that anymore ;)

It actually does work like a cookie, as it auto logs-in (as I wrote before).
Same as visiting this Forum with cookies enabled, as the user you don't really notice the log-in.
Works all in the background so to speak.

Good Lord! I take them out of the box and jewel case, install, then put them back in the case, and set the box somewhere. I just keep CDs in the case near my PC.
Its only the one time(at install), and I dont mind.

Upvote 0
Donut said:
Good Lord! I take them out of the box and jewel case, install, then put them back in the case, and set the box somewhere. I just keep CDs in the case near my PC.
Its only the one time(at install), and I dont mind.
Yes, but normally, you'd have to have the disk in the drive if you want to play.
Obviously, creating an image of the disk or using a crack aren't perfectly legal ways to circumvent the problem.

I was merely talking about how it would theoretically be.

I thougt I had made it clear enough I know of other means to ease the gaming experience for me :)

Upvote 0
Helmi said:
Yes, but normally, you'd have to have the disk in the drive if you want to play.
Obviously, creating an image of the disk or using a crack aren't perfectly legal ways to circumvent the problem.

I was merely talking about how it would theoretically be.

I thougt I had made it clear enough I know of other means to ease the gaming experience for me :)

Oh I do, normally, I usually dont bother with the image.
You had, I just dont think its necessary(for me) to have that much ease, Im happy with things as they are.

Upvote 0