• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics What do commandos do when a scrake/FP appears?

On normal a lvl4 commando can easily solo multiple skrakes if you have a scar and/or fal. Just aim at the head, take it down to just above half health, reload and kill it before it even gets close. Fleshpounds I generally try to avoid.

Well I just fired up test map and level 2 commando can solo fleshpounds on normal using a combo similar to the support's grenade+huntingsg combo, just instead of raging with the huntingsg you use the scar or the fnfal.

So yeah.

Normal is ezmode.

Upvote 0
Funny reading this. I killed a FP on the testmap with a knife as a support. Commando killing a FP with a knife, that'll be interesting, sure it's possible but requires some uber skills. In normal team play, yes Commando shouldn't be killing Scrakes and FP. But a perk 0 on HoE can kill a FP with just a 9mm and a bit of knowledge, without taking a single hit.

Upvote 0
Huh. Didn't realise non-speedy classes were fast enough to kite a FP with a melee weapon. And I would've thought that almost anything you gain from using a knife would've been lost for the tiny range and rubbish damage.

Also, supports at 1/24 move at practically the same speed as other classes at 1/15. Difference is negligible, so if you can do it as support, you can do it as a commando.

But again, situations where you'd need to are very far and few between :p

Upvote 0
It's strange reading this thread where everyone seems to agree how useless berserk is against every single zed, when I recently was in a heated discussion with some guys who wanted to nerf it a lot because "it is so extremely OP". And then we were talking about HoE 6p. While berserk isn't so strong that it makes HoE as ridiculously easy as they qlaimed, it's not a weak perk handled right.
I read first pages only, but I see that in last pages people have been informed that you can kill patty with knife.

Upvote 0
It's strange reading this thread where everyone seems to agree how useless berserk is against every single zed, when I recently was in a heated discussion with some guys who wanted to nerf it a lot because "it is so extremely OP". And then we were talking about HoE 6p. While berserk isn't so strong that it makes HoE as ridiculously easy as they qlaimed, it's not a weak perk handled right.
I read first pages only, but I see that in last pages people have been informed that you can kill patty with knife.

This thread was started in 2009 :p Things may've changed in 3 years :p
I think oldzerker was active back then? Either that or it'd recently changed to newzerker, which may go some way towards explaining it.

Upvote 0
Berserkers were great back in the day, they required skill, and they worked with the team. You got the odd rambo player, but most of the kiter players usually were only kiters in the way they weren't in the direct vicinity of the team. Although they were on their own they were shutting down spawns from a certain direction for the rest of the team.

In fact I used to play them with reasonable regularity back in the day. Now I won't touch the Zerker, it makes me feel unclean.

Upvote 0
Berserkers were great back in the day, they required skill, and they worked with the team. You got the odd rambo player, but most of the kiter players usually were only kiters in the way they weren't in the direct vicinity of the team. Although they were on their own they were shutting down spawns from a certain direction for the rest of the team.

In fact I used to play them with reasonable regularity back in the day. Now I won't touch the Zerker, it makes me feel unclean.

Exactly same as me. Zerk used to be such a good 'block' or wall for the team. I don't like zerker now, won't ever play as it. Don't want to be affilliated with what I see it has become, or feel 'dirty' as you put it.

But if someone people are happy to see it as 'skill' and use that 'skill' to kill all zds on their own, so much the betetr for them; at least theyre having fun. Just don't force me to. You can kite without being a zerker...

Upvote 0
So, anyone still wondering how to kill FPs as commando without taking damage on any difficulty? :confused:

On HoE kite it with a few shots while breaking LoS until it's about half health - you'll be able to see it's health bar. Then do the ol'combo (nade+rage with your rifle+nade+nade) and it'll go kaboom or be very very close to death.

This can be done on normal to a 6man fleshpound. On hard you need to get it down to about 3/4 health and on suicidal around half-almost the same as on HoE.

This is kind of an emergency tactic though - Commando shouldn't be doing anything but clearing the trash and sirens when the fp shows up.

Upvote 0
On HoE kite it with a few shots while breaking LoS until it's about half health - you'll be able to see it's health bar. Then do the ol'combo (nade+rage with your rifle+nade+nade) and it'll go kaboom or be very very close to death.

This can be done on normal to a 6man fleshpound. On hard you need to get it down to about 3/4 health and on suicidal around half-almost the same as on HoE.

This is kind of an emergency tactic though - Commando shouldn't be doing anything but clearing the trash and sirens when the fp shows up.

Oh, you can do better than that! :cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVsQU3kDmBo

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well, OP, as a now level 4 Commando, when I see a Scrake, if I have my FN-FAL, I'll just start shooting at him if he's far enough away. However, due to the relatively small clip, if he's within, say, 20 feet, I'll let another player Aggro him and then I'll start shooting at him.

A Fleshpound, however, is completely different. I will run away as fast as I can and, without second thought, let some other chap deal with it's anger and I'll shoot at the FP from a distance. (I am such a great team mate).

What I usually do, though, is save up for the FN-FAL and then buy a grenade launcher. Then I can deal with Fleshpounds and Scrakes with little worry.

Upvote 0
Had a go in test map today for some fun. With no armour, I have about a 50/50 success rate vs scrakes as a commando 6man HoE. However, you need to be able to shoot him with the FnFal as he comes at you, flinch him with the katana, then empty a SCAR into his face at close range.

Apparently you only need 30 of the 50 shots to connect to decap him, although I was often emptying both guns without managing to kill him, at which point you obviously die :p

Upvote 0