• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design Weird Ligthing bugs

So I've recently started working on my map, after testing the Editor for a few weeks.
I can't remember when it started happening, but everytime I build my ligths they look horrific. I'm using the default light from TE-AttackDefend_CombinedArms. The only thing I did was remove all the bsp (then added a few blocks) and add a terrain with some static meshes.

This is how it looks:
Spoiler!

Dosn't matter the quality I use (preview, medium, etc) they all look the same.
Static meshes seem to self-shadow okay (except the tracks), but shadows on Terrain and BSP look wrong.

I went back to the original TE-AttackDefend_CombinedArms and tried to rebuild lights, they look perfect.

I'm guessing I touched something, but I have no idea of what. And this problem really didn't bug me at first, hence why I can't recall when it started happening.

I would like to fix it asap, I'm afraid of working any more on the map since I might have to redo it. :(

You can change the BSP shadow resolution as well, you need to be in Geometry mode and select a BSP then in the small window there should be a value that you can decrease to improve the shadow map. I'm not 100% sure since I'm not in front of my computer.

Also Nightingale is correct, the blobby shadows on your terrain is caused by your static shadow resolution being too low. Be careful with it because the higher you set it, the longer it takes to build the lighting.

Reactions: Coin-goD
Upvote 0
So I've recently started working on my map, after testing the Editor for a few weeks.
I can't remember when it started happening, but everytime I build my ligths they look horrific. I'm using the default light from TE-AttackDefend_CombinedArms. The only thing I did was remove all the bsp (then added a few blocks) and add a terrain with some static meshes.

I might have a silly question. Do you have a sky ?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I did what you guys suggested. Tried to increase the resolution in the Terrain first with 4, then 8, then 16. It only seemed to increase the quality of the shadows, but they were all still wrong or missing.

I did the same with my BSP, used 64. No shadows whatsoever this time on them.... (It should at least have the water pumps shadows)

I will try to make a new level based on the same SDK map to see if I get the same effect. Hope I don't, because then I would have to throw my computer out the window.

Upvote 0
I do have that Volume. And Only one Dominant Directional Light, default one from the SDK map.

Tried another SDK map, removed all BSP and added a terrain. Increased resolution to 8, and this is the result.
Spoiler!

Terrain settings:
http://i.imgur.com/4VBz3.png

I noticed in the default SDK map that adding static meshes would create really low res shadows for them (on the bsp brushes). Dosn't matter the build quiality... the worst part is that the other meshes you can see have perfect shadow (aswell as brushes casting shadows), but they are not pure staticmeshes (except for the covers).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Leave these SDK maps alone and start make a new do these steps.

For a quick test.

Step 1 Make new map pick additional.

Step 2 Make a terrain

Step 3 Copy LightmassImportanceVolume and post processvolume out of stock map (Copy paste in unlit mode)

Step 4 Copy a skydome from a stock map and paste it in yours (Copy paste in unlit mode)

Step 5 Copy Dominant directional light out of stock map (Copy paste in unlit mode)

Step 6 Add the stuff you created.

Step 7 Build all.

Your light must be ok now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Coin-goD
Upvote 0
Also, veryfiy on you build lighting options, Use Lightmass is checked.
Can we assume that the lighting is still messed up in Game Mode?

Since your viewing in a mode without textures, I wounder if the lightmapping textures are being used? But that shouldn't affect BSP.

Definetly try what drecks suggested.

Also check your DominantDirectionalLight settings, verify it has the correct shadow options checked. (not sure which ones should be used)

Upvote 0
Drecks, you are my hero. I would put a Statue with your name in the map, but it would be really out of place :p :p
Spoiler!

They are still a bit blurry. But I might keep tring to improve the quality.

Thanks alot for that copy pasting tip, I didn't know you could do that with out 2 Editors open. :)
Using the enviroment from Barracks, I couldn't get the moon... I can't seem to be able to select it. How can I get my moon?

Also, is there any way I could copy all my kismet sequence without having to rebuild everything again?

Thanks everyone!

Upvote 0
Keep in mind that to actually increase BSP shadow map resolution you have to DECREASE the value not increase it, that's why 64 doesn't give any shadow, try going lower maybe.

Shadows in the version of UDK we're using is really messed up, if you tweak too many values and stuff it start going crazy.
Yeah, I noticed and I was like "What??". :D
---

Thank again Drecks.

Upvote 0
Hey all,

I can't get rid of an offset of the shadows of all destrutible objects on the map I'm working on. It almost looks the same like in OP, but it appears only with ROStaticMeshDestrutibles. Also no matter what quality or lightmap resolution.

The result of Drecks quick test looks like this.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/11360615/spartanovka_setup.jpg

(DominatDirectionalLight, LightmassImportanceVolume and PostProcessVolume of Spartanovka)

my map:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/11360615/ROStaticMeshDestructible.jpg

Is there any solution for this? What am I doing wrong?

Regards

Upvote 0