• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Weird 3D scope behaviour

MrLebanon

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 6, 2011
on a forum
Hey all, not sure if this has been brought up before
I noticed the same strange behaviour in killing floor

see this video at 6:10

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/soviet-walkthrough-red-orchestra/717230

When he shoots and then bolts back the rifle, you'll notice in the bolting animation he turns the gun to the left of the screen to pull the bolt, yet you can look in the scope and it is still pointing straight to the middle of the screen
you can see exactly what I mean if you pause at 6:13.

Hopefully it is something that doesn't go unnoticed..

I'll attach a screenshot of what I'm seeing

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    53.2 KB · Views: 0
Makes me wonder if the engine allows for the scope to actually show where the gun is pointing,cause if your rifle was aiming straight its actually where you would of look trough it. I would guess engine limitation :confused:

That's my fear..
I mean KF was on an earlier UT engine but it was the same problem when you walked with a scope and the scope swayed.. but the view in the lens would remain centred

It's not game breaking or anything, but kinda takes from the immersion especially when you get into a habit of noticing it :(

EDIT: you changed your post :p
Yes it is a tad to the right, but the rifle is turned left
I think the tad to the right is a result of the player actually turning to look to the right a little
the scope is pointing to the centre of his screen

Actually, I'm now not sure :p
However if you watch the clip in slo-mo (hitting pause and play really fast xP) you'll notice the scope direction doesn't always seem to be in line with what the gun is doing
especially with the action of the bolt back itself

Last edited:
Upvote 0
To be fair it is a pre-beta build of the game so there is still time to iron that one out, so lets not lose too much sleep about it unless 1 week to launch we see the exact same problem in a gameplay video :p

I know I know
It's just that it's also present in Killing Floor and has never been changed
It may very well be a UT engine thing

Upvote 0
That's my fear..
I mean KF was on an earlier UT engine but it was the same problem when you walked with a scope and the scope swayed.. but the view in the lens would remain centred

It's not game breaking or anything, but kinda takes from the immersion especially when you get into a habit of noticing it :(

EDIT: you changed your post :p
Yes it is a tad to the right, but the rifle is turned left
I think the tad to the right is a result of the player actually turning to look to the right a little
the scope is pointing to the centre of his screen

Actually, I'm now not sure :p
However if you watch the clip in slo-mo (hitting pause and play really fast xP) you'll notice the scope direction doesn't always seem to be in line with what the gun is doing
especially with the action of the bolt back itself
Yea I changed the post cause I saw that the scope was aiming where the rifle was pointing to the right side of the window.

Upvote 0
If you are not looking down the center a lens-based scope then it will be completely black. you need to be looking down the focal point to see anything.

I agree
unless the scope was an electronic monitor of some sort (WW2 scifi?!) it should be black at this angle

they simulated it well with the quick movements and seeing the black on the edges as the scope moves
it should be in these bolt animations as well

Upvote 0
yeah it should be blacked out, especially since the sniper got an ocular shadow when quickly moving. Its odd that when bolting you do see an image on the sniper. While especially at extreme angles the ocular shadow should blacken out the entire sight picture.

There was a thread about the exact same thing in the past as well:
http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=45767

Spoiler!

YouTube - ‪opticsemail.wmv‬‏

Last edited:
Reactions: LightsabeR
Upvote 0