• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Weapons per squad.

My guess is that squad composition will be dependent on the map. For each squad, there would be certain roles players could occupy, like in America's Army. So maps could have different amounts of squads, each with different amounts of players, each with different roles.

So one map with 32 players on a side might have one tank platoon of 4 tanks, 2 squads of 10 players, and 1 squad of 8 players.

Here's an interesting website detailing the organization of different armies of WWII.

http://www.bayonetstrength.150m.com/index.htm

For example, the make-up of a German Grenadier Company:

http://www.bayonetstrength.150m.com/toe/GerGren/grenadier_company.htm

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Now thats a great question, i would like to see some limits. 1 sniper/mg per squad, 30% smgs, 70% rifles.

1 sniper per team, maybe 2 if its a long range map.

I think in real life a squad was made up of riflemen, with one heavy MG and the squad leader had an SMG.

Of course they eventually started to give out more SMG's, and eventually there were entire squads equipped with SMG's.

I'd like to see it where on earlier maps squads are mainly made up of riflemen, but later on in the battle maps should have squads should have more SMG's since they were highly sought after after the CQC. And then of course one squad should be made up entirely of SMG guys!

Of course I'd like to see semi auto rifles issued sparingly, with many Soviet squad leaders using SVT's. And the Germans should actually get limited numbers of PPsh's later on in the battle since they were highly sought after and used alot by the Germans.

Upvote 0
I think there has to be weapon limits simply to keep the game balanced, whether or not it is realistic or not.

Ie.

8 man squad:

SMG
SMG
SEMI-AUTO
MG
BOLT
BOLT
BOLT
BOLT

Sniper limited to 1 per side.

I'd like that for most of the time, but with 1 G41 per German squad and only Russian squad leaders getting SVT's. (They're better anyway)

But like I said early on in the battle I'd like to see squads made up largely of riflemen, most of the maps would be like this, and some maps would have a squad made up of SMG's.

This may sound unbalanced, but keep in mind RO is not like CoD where every map is close range, say for example if they did a Leningrad remake, you could have your rifle squads defending buildings at long range, but have your SMG squad clear out the sewers ETC.

ALSO, considering teams would have up to 32 players, you could have 3 ten man squads, then the platoon leader and sniper! (Unless its CA which would have tanks)

Reactions: Unterscharfuhrer
Upvote 0
You are.

The Germans heavily centered around MG's and sometimes even had to lMG's per squad.

I think it started off as one per squad on both sides, but when the Soviets realized their MG's had less firepower they upped it to 2 or 3 per squad.

2 per squad would be sufficient because the German MG's do have more firepower, so it would balance out more and be realistic. Just like my suggestion of having some PPsh's for the Germans.

IMHO it should a sever option. have the strict, and more historical squad formations as one option. The other option having no class limitations in the squads and allowing for people to coordinate in their own way-- such as a squad full of riflemen or SMGers or Anti-Tankers.

Thats a good idea, but if there was no limit it might become unbalanced, like a whole platoon of SMG's, and also it would encourage more weapon swapping, like, oh here comes a tank, so EVERYBODY switches to AT.

OK.But am I wrong too if I say that soviets should have more Semiautos since they produced more than one million SVTs during the war?

Thats for the whole war though, the thing with the SVT was it was too complicated for most Russians, so it was often used by veteran soldiers, NCO's, and certain units like Russian Marines. In fact I would like to see on the grain elevator map, sinces its Russian Marines, have the riflemen be able to choose between SVT and Mosin.

I also think German heroes should get SVT's since they were highly sought after, and we're talking about a game with no G43's and very little MP44's.

Upvote 0
It should be something between historical accuracy and gameplay.

Rifles have to be the most common weapon (because it was the fact in the WWII). Then, it should depend on the map and the side. More SMG's on maps like lieskrovy for instance.

The maps will be on stalingrad, so we can expect more SMG's and Semis than in ROI. But not too many, the same for the snipers or MG's, or it will be "rush power" or "camp power" ...

So for a team of 32 players, I think that :
* 6-8 SMG's
* 2-4 Semis
* 1-3 snipers
* 1-3 MG's
* SL's who will have the choice between all the weapons (and not only a SMG like 80% of the ROI maps :mad:).
Once again, depending on the map (urban, semi urban etc. plus if it's a "big" map or not, like berezina for instance), and the side.
Then, why not doing something like 'Assault squad' and 'defence squad' ? (the first will have more SMG's and semis while the other more MG's and rifles).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It should be something between historical accuracy and gameplay.

Rifles have to be the most common weapon (because it was the fact in the WWII). Then, it should depend on the map and the side. More SMG's on maps like lieskrovy for instance.

The maps will be on stalingrad, so we can expect more SMG's and Semis than in ROI. But not too many, the same for the snipers or MG's, or it will be "rush power" or "camp power" ...

So for a team of 32 players, I think that :
* 6-8 SMG's
* 2-4 Semis
* 1-3 snipers
* 1-3 MG's
* SL's who will have the choice between all the weapons (and not only a SMG's like 80% of the ROI maps :mad:).
Once again, depending on the map (urban, semi urban etc. plus if it's a "big" map or not, like berezina for instance), and the side.
Then, why not doing something like 'Assault squad' and 'defence squad' ? (the first will have more SMG's and semis while the other more MG's and rifles).

I defenately don't want to see 3 snipers unless it was for a certain map, however, I actually think their weren't enough MG's in many RO1 maps, for example the Russians only got one DP28 on Danzig, and if whenever he dies they lose alot of cover.

I honestly think having realistic squads would be balanced most of the time, since they improvised alot.

Having balanced squads witha mix of rifles and SMG's would be good on some maps, but having whole rifle and whole SMG squads would make it alot more strategic.

Upvote 0
I hope that squad layouts are somewhat left free. So for instance in competitive play people can fit together squads in the best way they seem fit.

Sure we have fire teams in the game so you have an assault and suppress group. But I think in the end it will be more logical for a squad to be formed of alike people.

Like a rifle squad that is flanking and trying to give fire support from there, and an assault squad that actually goes inside the building.

Upvote 0