• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Weapons are too weak

Mises

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 1, 2016
When I was playing the beta, I felt as if the weapons were weaker than in RO2/RS. I thought I could blame it on the new recoil system (sight misalignment, etc. could have made me miss), but the frequency of such situations started to bug me. I decided to dispel any doubts and test the damage system with the help of my friend. We went to an empty server so I could shoot at him from a close range, without any disturbance.
I found out that it's impossible to kill an enemy with one shot, even from a point-blank range, by hitting him in the stomach, the center of the body or the crotch. With every weapon (of course except for special weapons like flamethrowers and HMGs)! The number of bullets needed to kill didn't vary between the weapons, whether it was the Mosin, M-16, or TT.

Then we launched RO2 in order to compare its damage system with the Vietnam's. In the former, even pistol rounds were able to easily kill you with one shot in the center of mass, while in the latter you always need at least two bullets to do this, even using as big a caliber as Mosin-Nagant's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyE35Zzsszc

Unus Offa said:
That's pretty disturbing and definitely needs a fix IMHO.

This. Its disturbing, because in RS 1, everytime someone shoots and clearly hits an enemy, he/she probably knows if the enemy is going to die or not, but in RS2, I personally keep going trough my mind about the fact how that guy should be dead in RS1 after I clearly hit someone.

Well, its something to get used to if its not going to change, but right now I dont even want to shoot enemies, because it feels like they just keep running no matter how they get hit.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The damage system has been completely redone.

Completely new damage system, a new way the weapons deal damage, new damage zones am with various sizes. Now according to the Devs the weapons should be dealing enough damage. But the damage caps and size of the hit zones probably need to be adjusted.

Upvote 0
Beskar Mando;n2281431 said:
Damage is currently bugged at the moment

Any source on this? And how is it bugged exactly?

nilsmoody;n2281432 said:
I use single shot all the time. Rarely I need more than one shot.

But you just can't kill an enemy (who isn't wounded) by hitting him with one bullet in the center of the body, stomach or crotch. Just like I showed in the video.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
As long as all the rifle & assault rifle rounds kill with 1 shot to the head, chest & spine then I'm fine. A shot to the stomach is often survivable if it misses the spine (although if it enters from the side then you're most likely done for), but I would argue that perhaps it should be a 1 shot kill with the full powered rifle rounds ingame.

Upvote 0
Mises;n2281438 said:
But you just can't kill an enemy (who isn't wounded) by hitting him with one bullet in the center of the body, stomach or crotch. Just like I showed in the video.
Yeah, the video surprised me. I don't remember having such problems with it while playing it. Seriously, I've used single shot nearly all the time. Maybe I was aiming for the head way too good. :D

Upvote 0
I feel the same, I talked about it with a dev, he told me the damage system is entirely redone based on energy values of the projectiles.

In any case, I feel that, to compare with RO2, the killing should be similar.
7.62×39mm (AK, SKS, RPD) is ballistically the same as 7.92 Kurz (Mkb. 42(H)), so I expected it to kill much the same.
Similarly, 7.62×51mm NATO and 7.62×54mmR, those are essentially the same as RO2 bolt action rifle rounds.

I had the feeling it was due to the "patterning" of the burst, but yeah, the killing power of weapons feel very unreliable, hit or miss, if you will. (pun intended)

Upvote 0
Thom430;n2281475 said:
I feel the same, I talked about it with a dev, he told me the damage system is entirely redone based on energy values of the projectiles.

In any case, I feel that, to compare with RO2, the killing should be similar.
7.62×39mm (AK, SKS, RPD) is ballistically the same as 7.92 Kurz (Mkb. 42(H)), so I expected it to kill much the same.
Similarly, 7.62×51mm NATO and 7.62×54mmR, those are essentially the same as RO2 bolt action rifle rounds.

I had the feeling it was due to the "patterning" of the burst, but yeah, the killing power of weapons feel very unreliable, hit or miss, if you will. (pun intended)

7.62 X 39 is a tad more powerful than 7.92 X 33 Kurtz. But totally on your page.

Any hit by any rifle round to the vitals should put you out of the fight. Dead, dying, or on the ground worthless. Pistols to a certain extent too. Although those have more wiggle room. Folks have taken lethal hits but taken forever to drop dead more often. Hopefully the kinks get worked out soon. Ideally where you can take many hits to not that important stuff but only 1 to things you really need.

Upvote 0
jacknine;n2281472 said:
I like the fact that you are able to take a hit or two before dieing, for me that makes the game more fun even though it may not be 100% realistic, It gives the player a chance.
This is in the RO/RS series of games. If you want to take a few bullets without having any repercussions but still have semi-relistic gameplay go and play Insurgency

Upvote 0