• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Weapon shot ouf of hand destroyed?

There's actually a video online (I won't post it as it's a bit shocking) of a US Special Operative working with the Afghan army raiding a house. You actually see a round hit the AK of one of the Afghan soldiers. He does not drop it, or lose control of the weapon. He does book *** the other way though(and unfortunately, gets shot outside). I think, unless it's an anti-tank round, the majority of weapons in the game do not have enough punch to knock a weapon out of your hand. Unless you had one ****ty grip on it.

I think single accounts is little evidence to base anything on. I don't doubt what you're saying, i'm sure you might still hold the gun steady depending on the situation & conditions. I'd simply say it could happen, it would be quite the claim to say that you would never drop a gun from being shot..

Upvote 0
I think single accounts is little evidence to base anything on. I don't doubt what you're saying, i'm sure you might still hold the gun steady depending on the situation & conditions. I'd simply say it could happen, it would be quite the claim to say that you would never drop a gun from being shot..

Well, it's supportive evidence that they don't drop guns like flies like they do in roost. If they could have it a less-than-likely occurrence I wouldn't have a problem with it. But even so, adrenaline does ****ing wonders to someone when it comes to not feeling pain. I've seen it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sorry realistic or not dropping weapons made the game more interesting from my point of view, especially when running over open spaces

And as to the aurgument that you wouldn't drop weapon if hit - I'm pretty sure your going to let go with that hand at least and the normal reaction to pain is to grab the area that hurts so that takes care of the other hand. and even if it doesn't, this is game so does it really matter as long as it's adds to the fun

Upvote 0
Sorry realistic or not dropping weapons made the game more interesting from my point of view, especially when running over open spaces

And as to the aurgument that you wouldn't drop weapon if hit - I'm pretty sure your going to let go with that hand at least and the normal reaction to pain is to grab the area that hurts so that takes care of the other hand. and even if it doesn't, this is game so does it really matter as long as it's adds to the fun

I entirely disagree with the last statement as I go back to adrenaline and not wanting to die. At the same time, I can't imagine this will not become a server-side mod in the near future of release. So sit tight, if you realllyyyy want weapon drop patience and some begging to modders is required :)

Upvote 0
There's actually a video online (I won't post it as it's a bit shocking) of a US Special Operative working with the Afghan army raiding a house. You actually see a round hit the AK of one of the Afghan soldiers. He does not drop it, or lose control of the weapon. He does book *** the other way though(and unfortunately, gets shot outside). I think, unless it's an anti-tank round, the majority of weapons in the game do not have enough punch to knock a weapon out of your hand. Unless you had one ****ty grip on it.
I would imagine the SpecOp was shooting 5.56x45 ammo?
The mosin shot a 7.62x54r round and the Kar shot 7.92x57.

ammocomp.PNG

This is from somebody's flicker page, but it shows the various ammnunition in question. The left most is the Mosin Nagant's 7.62x54r, the third from the left is the old NATO standard (still used in the M24 rifle?), and the 4th and 5th show the size of the current NATO standard 5.56x45. While the lighter smg's of WWII provided quantity over quality, the rifles of the day packed a serious punch.

I don't disupte your adrenaline arguement at all!, but the marjority of the weapons that were used in l RO1 certainly carried enough punch to get one's attention. ;)

Upvote 0
I don't disupte your adrenaline arguement at all!, but the marjority of the weapons that were used in l RO1 certainly carried enough punch to get one's attention. ;)

That's assuming the round won't just shred all the nerve endings, leaving you with no pain at all.

Yeah, this is far to complex an issue, there have been instances of people beeing mortally wounded and never noticing it, they where shot, went about their buisness as if nothing happened for a short while after, and then collapsed and died, probably never knowing what happened to them.

But then you also get instances where someone got a minor flesh wound, and instantly dropped to the ground screaming like a banshee that they had been shot and where going to die.

So there is no right or wrong answers here, it's fully possible that a soldier might never notice his hand was shot till after the battle was over, or he could drop his weapon, go into shock, and lie curled up in the fetal position on the ground and cry. Both are possible, and all inbetween aswell.

Upvote 0
I would imagine the SpecOp was shooting 5.56x45 ammo?
The mosin shot a 7.62x54r round and the Kar shot 7.92x57.

I will say this was my mistake here and failing to mention that the Afghan Soldier the Spec Ops was with was the one who had his weapon shot by an AK47. Fairly larger rounds than standard NATO 5.56's.

To be honest, I think a weapon dropping would probably be more common of someone tripping/getting it caught on something. Even so, in the midst of a battle you'll likely have one hell of a grip on it.

Upvote 0
now this all sounds fun until you see it in action. basically im running over a flat terrain my gun gets shot out of my hand i am unarmed i have to run back to get it and get shot or run forward without and get shot because i have no weapon.

i almost forgot to mention the griefers Ive encountered very few of these but ive seen a few and there annoying i usually bayonet them or nade them. (i prefer the ladder.)

also as the myth busters thing proved its harder to shoot it out of someones hands than it looks. also the only time i could see a trained solider dropping his weapon is if it were a sniper round or larger round. or he got shot in the hand which id imagine hed drop it 9/10 times.

Upvote 0
@Actin:
I really LIKE the whole "weapon shot out of hand" thing, I was just telling, why it sometimes was annoying in RO1. I think your "blablabla" comment was unnecessary. We aren't 13-yers old insecure kids, or are we? A bit respect for each other would make discussing matters much more polite and enjoyable.

I am sorry for the 'blabla'. It was not my intention at all to disregard the rest of the text as rubbish or something. The only reason I put it there was to shorten the quote. I should've used dots or something.
My apologies.

Try shooting at a wall in front of you, I'm sure you will notice the lag. Without lag the bullet will hit it instantly.

I am just saying that I play exactly the same on 180 ping old glory as on 30 ping europe 1 or 2. The lead is exactly the same for me in both servers, If I just join the one with free room, I actually have to check the scoreboard to see if I am in the high ping server or not.

Maybe you can see it when the travel time is extremely small (as in shooting a wall), however gameplay wise it is exactly the same. But maybe I just don't notice it (i am blessed:p)

I entirely disagree with the last statement as I go back to adrenaline and not wanting to die. At the same time, I can't imagine this will not become a server-side mod in the near future of release. So sit tight, if you realllyyyy want weapon drop patience and some begging to modders is required :)

Server-side mod:D
+1

That's assuming the round won't just shred all the nerve endings, leaving you with no pain at all.

What about shredding the tensils or you hand?
No way you gonna hold that gun firmly after that.
It's not that easy to rip all the sensing nerves in one hit without ripping apart the whole hand.

But I know what you mean and especially the adrenalin (and endorfins) can nullify any pain which would normally be sensed.

i almost forgot to mention the griefers Ive encountered very few of these but ive seen a few and there annoying i usually bayonet them or nade them. (i prefer the ladder.)

also as the myth busters thing proved its harder to shoot it out of someones hands than it looks. also the only time i could see a trained solider dropping his weapon is if it were a sniper round or larger round. or he got shot in the hand which id imagine hed drop it 9/10 times.

Totally not agree with the first argument and I don't get why people bring that up. Just disable weapon shot out of hand in combination with friendly fire. Really simple and it wouldn't be a large immersion breaker for me since you will not be shot in your hand by friendly fire quite as much as enemy fire.

Also I always thought the shot-out-of-hand was always because of the last. The hand is getting shot in which you drop the gun.
As previously said, the game makes your hand injured (at least shows that) so it's not the weapon but the hand in RO1

Upvote 0
If you're holding a rifle properly, with two hands, and it gets hit by say a 7.62 NATO, the rifle will most likely NOT get shot out of your hands. Only real chance you have of dropping the rifle in this case is if you let go yourself because of shock, but most people won't.

I really don't see it happen unless your rifle or smg gets hit by something in the range of a .50 BMG, in which case I could well imagine the rifle getting blown out of your hands even if you held tight.

Upvote 0