• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Weapon shot ouf of hand destroyed?

Blabla needs penetration blabla
Already confirmed

Of course the guy I just hit can and will succesfully dodge another bullet, because with any ping above 60 you actually CAN dodge bullets at close range with a good bit of success, pulls out a pistol and kills me, OR his buddy kills me, or he picks his gun up and kills me.

Even in 180 ping (old glory server) I never notice any kind of lag. Maybe the server is just awesome but I think the netcode is superb.

Just to put the on-topic subject into perspective:
I play the game for half a year now and I have got 4 'weapon shot out of hand' experineces. And yes I counted them, because just after I began with RO1 the issue was already raised on the forum.
Every one of them has been an incredible immersive experience for me.
From the tank mg (like it is gonna aim at you half of the game, I just caught an opening) to the MP40 guy spraying (was 2 meters away but I managed to dive across a small wall and when his mag was empty killed him with a nade (melee without weapon is needed though<- spade).

In my experience it is one of the greatest features of the game, so I think it is a real shame. Not even a server option?

Upvote 0
Good points.

Another way to put it:

If your weapon gets shot, it shouldn't function anymore.

If your hand gets shot, you shouldn't be able to work any weapon anymore.

So the solution to that is to just allow people to continue firing away after being shot in the hand like CoD?

Why didn't they just leave the shot out of hand function if the bullet hits in just the right manner, and then when you pick up the gun and try to fire again, your weapon stability will be greatly decreased. I mean your gun will start to shake vigorously around while you try to aim. Kind of like in the old America's Army when you take damage, your characters ability to hold his weapon still and fire accuratly greatly decreases. I loved this feature in that game, but like RO seems to be doing, they ditched that feture with their sequel. Why are they trying to make these kind of games easier?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Because Myth Busters have tested it. And its unpossible to shoot weapon out of hand from dude who have use to hold a weapon.

And its even more unpossible that bullet hits weapon that way that it make
damage, because allmost all important parts are rounded.

YouTube - ‪MythBusters S07E21 Unarmed and Unharmed Part 4‬‏
Skip first 30 second

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I love mythbusters.

Anyways, maybe it doesn't have to be a "Shoot gun out of hand thing" Maybe it could be a "Frantic middle of battle, lose weapon from hand".

Like rushing through a cloud a smoke with a volley of MG42 fire coming down on you and grenades blowing up all around you ect.. ect.. could start to raise a "Frantic" level and evetually could lead to things such as Weapon dropping or other factors. I don't know just a thought, obviously though if you get a weapon shot out of your hand your not going to be unharmed. Hence why I suggested when you pick it back up the damage is represented by the fact that your character can no longer hold the weapon stably and gives you a terrible time trying to fire straight, but you can still fire back.

Upvote 0
Have to say having weapon shot out of hand gives some nice heart stopping moments even if it's not that realistic and adds to the fun in my opinion - shame we appear to have lost it.

but there 's lots of goodies still to come out so maybe will find sumit in there that takes it's place for moments

Upvote 0
@Actin:
With 100 ping game runs nice etc., but bullet travels 100ms + travel time, instead of travel time. And this makes "bullet dodging" AKA strafing and sprinting in random direction a really good tactic. I did it and it works even against elite players.

I really LIKE the whole "weapon shot out of hand" thing, I was just telling, why it sometimes was annoying in RO1. I think your "blablabla" comment was unnecessary. We aren't 13-yers old insecure kids, or are we? A bit respect for each other would make discussing matters much more polite and enjoyable.

@susi: In RO you usually lost your weapon by getting shot in the hand. That's why you got your hand marked as injured each time you lost your weapon. I don't even know if you actually could hit the rifle itself in RO.
Anyways, damage to the hand could/should make you drop your weapon, or at least lose your grip for a moment with the hand that was shot.

Upvote 0
So the solution to that is to just allow people to continue firing away after being shot in the hand like CoD?

Why didn't they just leave the shot out of hand function if the bullet hits in just the right manner, and then when you pick up the gun and try to fire again, your weapon stability will be greatly decreased. I mean your gun will start to shake vigorously around while you try to aim. Kind of like in the old America's Army when you take damage, your characters ability to hold his weapon still and fire accuratly greatly decreases. I loved this feature in that game, but like RO seems to be doing, they ditched that feture with their sequel. Why are they trying to make these kind of games easier?

Not a bad idea.

Upvote 0
Doesn't bother me, however I'd still like to have the ability to drop weapons manually , so that you can trade and change guns with teammates etc , just like in Ro1.

In a gameplay video on the release map "Spartanovka" I believe, it shows the ability to switch weapons. The 2 weapons on the ground shown in the gui was a DP28 LMG and I THINK a Peppesh 41 SMG.

Upvote 0
We indeed didn't put weapon shot out of hand in the game. I really wanted it, and loved the feature, and got outvoted :) Should be pretty simple for someone to make a mutator to do this though.

In RO1 it was indeed that you got shot in your right hand only that would cause you to drop the weapon. And the weapon itself wouldn't block the bullets, and the bullets could penetrate your hand and still hit your body, etc.

And no, you couldn't dodge bullets in RO1. Even with ballistics, it doesn't work like Ping + TravelTime and here is why. When you fire, it sends a message to the server that you fired. The server launches the ballistic projectile, and then sends a message to all the clients that a shot was fired. On your machine, you see the guy's muzzle flash His Ping Time + Your Ping Time later. You try to move, but your already dead on the server, and the server lets you know that you were shot :) Now if the guy was REALLY far away, you might be able to dodge the bullet after seeing the muzzle flash (like 500 meters away - check out the Mythbusters where they tested that). But the ping won't give you any advantage in dodging the bullets, rather its just the opposite. Of course strafing like crazy makes it harder for someone to hit you, but that has nothing to do with lag/ballistics.

Upvote 0
We indeed didn't put weapon shot out of hand in the game. I really wanted it, and loved the feature, and got outvoted :) Should be pretty simple for someone to make a mutator to do this though.

In RO1 it was indeed that you got shot in your right hand only that would cause you to drop the weapon. And the weapon itself wouldn't block the bullets, and the bullets could penetrate your hand and still hit your body, etc.

And no, you couldn't dodge bullets in RO1. Even with ballistics, it doesn't work like Ping + TravelTime and here is why. When you fire, it sends a message to the server that you fired. The server launches the ballistic projectile, and then sends a message to all the clients that a shot was fired. On your machine, you see the guy's muzzle flash His Ping Time + Your Ping Time later. You try to move, but your already dead on the server, and the server lets you know that you were shot :) Now if the guy was REALLY far away, you might be able to dodge the bullet after seeing the muzzle flash (like 500 meters away - check out the Mythbusters where they tested that). But the ping won't give you any advantage in dodging the bullets, rather its just the opposite. Of course strafing like crazy makes it harder for someone to hit you, but that has nothing to do with lag/ballistics.

So I should stop leading my shots to account for lag? =O Strange.
Though you just made my day, because I have a connection that gives me 140-180 ping on the best of servers, so this brings joy to my heart to know that when I shoot a target, lag won't make me miss :D

I'd really like some clarification on that, because normally I shoot the ground ahead of me to test the latency between shot and impact before I fire at an enemy to properly gauge how much lead time I'll need.
Maybe thats why I miss so much...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

But wouldn't your shot still be a bit behind a player with a lower ping? The client still has to send the message to the server before the projectile is fired. So wouldn't a higher ping connection take longer for the server to receive the message that you just fired? I am not second guessing you here, your obviously the expert(I'm just some idiot that plays too many pc games), but thats the way I always understood it.

I still think however that argument for not dropping the weapon because of the "being shot out of hand" is unrealistic shouldn't hold up though. Even if the bullet just wizzed by the hand, or bounced off the gun it would still incline to drop their weapon frantically. Or sprinting through a volley of machine gun fire, just my opinion, I loved some of the moments when I lost my weapon and had to find a new one in RO and DH. I will admit it was frustrating at times as well, but I play a lot of ArmaII as well so I am accustomed to a bit of frustration in an FPS. The only frustration I can't handle in Tactical FPS games is hacking, glad to see PB implemented(even though I do hate their system sometimes).

Upvote 0
Nobody here watched mythbusters episode about shooting guns out of hand? It was BUSTED, so good that this feature isnt in RO2.

Obviously if you get hit in the actual hand you can drop it, if not by shock or force , then simply by pain. Its one thing to hit the actual gun, a complete other to hit the hand holding it as in RO1. Another thing to take into account is higher caliber and faster rate of fire, i'm sure your experience from getting hit by a mg42 is quite different from a revolver.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
There's actually a video online (I won't post it as it's a bit shocking) of a US Special Operative working with the Afghan army raiding a house. You actually see a round hit the AK of one of the Afghan soldiers. He does not drop it, or lose control of the weapon. He does book *** the other way though(and unfortunately, gets shot outside). I think, unless it's an anti-tank round, the majority of weapons in the game do not have enough punch to knock a weapon out of your hand. Unless you had one ****ty grip on it.

Upvote 0